1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Next generation FUNNEL mappage!

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Animbadabar, Apr 25, 2006.

?

What do you think of the FUNNEL style of play?

1. Enjoy it, changing would be pointless

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Has potential and could be improved

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Has little/no potential

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Hate it, it can never get better.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

...by those who haven't played it yet.

No...sorry, but no. This map doesn't correspond at all to the ideas outlined in this thread. This isn't "a different gameflow to standard retail"...it's a complete lack of it. If you put eight redeemers close together, the one who makes it there wins the match, pure and simple. Offline, but online as well. Not just because the area is out of reach for the main battleground (we already knew that), but because it also contains 2 kegs and 4 supershields. And a minelayer with enough ammo to win the match by itself.

The point I was making with my previous post was that funnel maps could work with better item placement than others (normal maps try to spread them out as good as possible)...not by having them all. With this kind of firepower, you even prevent other players from having shield duels and spawnkills. Wouldn't it have been better to use a single weapon locker containing a redeemer? (which grants a redeemer to a same player every 30 seconds, rather than the full 8 to the first guy to make it up there) And why isn't ammo spread out more? Especially the spider mines are a plague if you can just keep on spamming them and sending them down.

If these are funnel maps, then I don't need them. I don't like to play sniper maps either, but I respect them because they have a sense of balance in them. This doesn't have anything :(

2. Animbadabar

Animbadabar Userfied Regist

lol fair enough! I feel like the devil's advocate but I'll give defending the map a go... The reason I didn't place a weapon locker with one redeemer is that it wouldn't provide sufficient motivation for players. One redeemer frag could take probably at most 3-4 players of reasonable skill level even if crowded, so it wouldn't be worth the time travelling there. The reason shield gun and spawn duels are overpowered by the superweapons is to encourage players to go for the spot rather than sit around fragging eachother at close range. It is after all meant to be king of the hill. I felt there had to be enough motivation for the guy to get the first 8 redeemers - if there was one or even two, by the time they had travelled accross the bridges to the cache other players would be ahead in frags and it still wouldn't even out most times. I didn't want players to be able to sit and just wait at the locker to get another redeemer either. There needs to be a great enough time gap between redeemer spawns for another player to work their way up to where the current "king" is.
    The kegs are there because I tested the map with healthpacks and as the person on the bridge is naturally a target for hitscanners making their way up (and had most likely taken damage to get there) they were the only real way to ensure most players could actually reach redeemers successfully. The shield packs are on both sides because they're intended for players making an assault on the redeemer ridge. Yes the minelayer has enough ammo to possibly win the match but as the redeemer area is most vulnerable to hitscan fire, the person camping up top can be shot, causing the mines to detonate anyway. The minelayers are really there to prevent the bridge access becoming too much of a chokepoint for players looking to make their way up quickly. If you're neck and neck with someone you can grab the minelayer and interrupt their path (as they can do to you) so that you're able to make it to the top alone without having to worry about fighting on the actual bridge (which can be difficult as the slats have some places where players can fall back through). Monopolising both minelayer areas is possible from the redeemer ridge I'll grant, but in a race for frags it means you'll be picking off the minority who make it out of the spawn area and robbing yourself of the 3-4 that the redeemer could get you per shot.
    The likelyhood is, as you say, that the first player to the top will probably win the match. It's not entirely certain as players below could choose to target them rather than each other, but yes likely.

Most importantly though bear in mind that in this first map I wanted to keep the gameplay as true as possible to the current funnel maps, and that this is part of a 3 map workflow showing how I feel the gameplay could progress. This style of map is not my default playing type either, but I do enjoy it as a diversion from time to time and think funnels have some potential to improve. Therefore the second and third maps will be more standardised if you will in terms of gameplay and balance, though I still want to keep the frantic KOTH nature so players who enjoy regular funnels won't be deterred.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  3. [DUF]-Fragger

[DUF]-Fragger New Member

Funnel maps should be forbidden on all servers ;)

I've played a lot of funnels on servers, but now when a funnel gets voted, then for me its smoke time, meaning: spectate.

I really can't see the fun in it, running to the demers and you have won the match.

Gr Fragger

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2006
  4. [DUF]-Fragger

[DUF]-Fragger New Member

Well i've downloaded your map from unrealplayground and i must say it looks very good. The funnels that i know are just a laugh but this one is good and also the graphics. Not that i will be a fan of funnel maps, but i would rather play this map then the funnels i know :)

Gr Fragger

5. Turret 49

Turret 49 Doomer at heart

Why are there 13 deemers further up?

6. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

13 redeemers, 42 kegs/100as, and 4,000 spider mines. Because that's fun. Or something. :)