New Weapon Suggestion: Stavatti TIS-1 Tactical Infantry System

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
If you have a visual cloak, then how can you see with your naked eyes? You can't, so you'd have to use IR or another spectrum, which will be what the enemy can see you with. If you're completely invisible in one spectrum, you're also blind in it.

Tribunal

Jun 2, 2000
Just because you had the visual cloak would not mean that your regular vision would be useless. First of all, since the cloak will (most likely) be operated via a power cell, they would have to conserve the cell for when they would need it. Next, I'm guessing that the covering material would have either a: a visor area where the eyes would be visible so they would not be totally dependant on therm goggles (what if their batteries died...), or b: fiberoptic cameras that would be next to impossible to detect and give them a heads up dispaly on the helmet of their visor.
Think of having therm vision only in an urban warfare setting -- you see various heat sources, no real discernable details, and all the like. Would they want to keep switching it on and off so they could make out the details of what was needed? It would be too much of a hassle, and with other options to give them full vision then it would be foolish of them not to.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Tribunal said:
Just because you had the visual cloak would not mean that your regular vision would be useless. First of all, since the cloak will (most likely) be operated via a power cell, they would have to conserve the cell for when they would need it. Next, I'm guessing that the covering material would have either a: a visor area where the eyes would be visible so they would not be totally dependant on therm goggles (what if their batteries died...), or b: fiberoptic cameras that would be next to impossible to detect and give them a heads up dispaly on the helmet of their visor.
Think of having therm vision only in an urban warfare setting -- you see various heat sources, no real discernable details, and all the like. Would they want to keep switching it on and off so they could make out the details of what was needed? It would be too much of a hassle, and with other options to give them full vision then it would be foolish of them not to.

Having a helmet HUD system that superimposes thermal and other sensor readouts on top of the soldier's vision would be infinitely more practical.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Trying to find the source i found for this info, but I'm having a hard time. I'll let you guys know if I find it, or maybe someone here has heard of it..?

Anyhow, IIRC, there was research being done into an urban-specialized kit for the US Army that included a full helmet with the option of enabling a HUD-system that would display onto the visor. Threat markers could be sent out over the squad-net and the threat area would be highlighted on each soldiers HUD. Not a marker on a mini-map, but more of a hotbox around the area when the soldier looked in that direction. Think of it sort of as crosshairs, i guess. Except it'd box and highlight the target (and display any data associated with the target when it was designated, ie: armor, strength of enemy, etc, etc)

I'm going to thumb through some magazines I've got and maybe it's in there... or, maybe I dreamed all this. Who knows... Possibly PopSci, i guess... I'll check there.

Tyepo

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Found this site on that laser rifle, and it gives quite extensive details. Only probs I see are that it uses rare metals making it one VERY expensive rifle as is, and that it supposedly has a 90 lb recoil in the forward direction.....OUCH.

http://www.defensereview.com/352003/TIS1.pdf

O BTW if anyones wondering, I just registered. I too have dialup so ive only played inf 2.86 with bots...sigh. Ah well, good target practice at least :rolleyes:

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
Oh, i know all about land warrior. I was just using it as an example. The system I'm talking about was going to be an upgrade to the Land Warrior system. Still can't find the article i read about it in.

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Have you all tied ra286's phase mode, basickly it sends you into the future and uses the existing guns with lser rounds, it quite cool actually. and you know IMO I veiw ra286 mor like a INF 2.7 since the realse coming is 2.9.

Tyepo

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
sir_edmond said:
Welcome to the Forum Tyepo, oh its not inpossiable to online with a 56K.

Thanks ed

The last time I tried an online shooter thing was Mechwarrior 3, and I recall it being a circle fight with evidently another person on dialup that lasted some 10 minutes cause neither of us could hit eachother since neither of us was where we appeared to be. I finally said @#$%it and turned into him, rammed him, and blew off his leg. :D I havnt tried another shooter online since. :lol:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I connect at 26,400. Although I do suck I have plenty of fun online. I do have problem with ping spikes on BB but I believe its a problem with the server. Last I heard the guys running the server have spent some time yelling at the company where it is hosted.

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Tyepo said:
The last time I tried an online shooter thing was Mechwarrior 3, and I recall it being a circle fight with evidently another person on dialup that lasted some 10 minutes cause neither of us could hit eachother since neither of us was where we appeared to be. I finally said @#$%it and turned into him, rammed him, and blew off his leg. I havnt tried another shooter online since.
I attempt to aim infront of them, but being a sniper is useless.

lag-snipe.jpg

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Guys I suggest you join us on BB sometime this week. I was using the m16 irons last night and had no problems sniping. Even knocked a few guys of walls. All I can say is give it a try. If I can snipe anyone can.

Tave

Super Noob
Oct 1, 2003
Milton Keynes UK
Visit site
i was playing last night with a ping of 500+, i think i hit someone at some point, but it was lot of fun and didnt mind getting killed alot, the way i see it, if i can last till the end of the round ive done alright :).

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
LOL @ 400 ping, i play with one that bottoms out at around 800+ all the time and has topped out at a whopping 26,000+ on BB server and i still whoop a lil ass :D{yes thats 26 thousand plus guys, its not a typo, the ping spikes suck and ReconLamer sucks too, thier tech support is a freakin joke}
And im on dialup too and when i get cable im gonna just kill Bennyboy consistently as much as possible with my new low pingage :D