New UT2007 Video from GC2005, Leipzig

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Everything looked great and they did a better job showing off the beauty of the realtime action. The last video I've seen with the this same real-time demonstration the person playing didn't dodge at all and moved rather bottish while going through the level. In this demonstration they did a much better job in showing off the shockrifle combo, by shooting it several times and also letting us see it's intricacy, through slomo. Plus, he dodged a lot more and it looked like the dodge is pretty sexy.:tup::tup::tup:

However, I found the voice acting to be ridiculous and poser. Saying pimp and owned was stupid. More formal, serious and witty voice acting would have been much better than this very forced and explicitly fake voice acting. It almost seemed to mock malcom's ethnicity. :tdown:

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Kenshin333 said:
he played the game that wasnt a video. So it is possible that no manta was flying around there

I don't see why manta shouldn't be in there just because he is playing. The manta had alot of coding made as i have seen on the older demo.

Kenshin333 said:
Scorpion blew up before he shot the shock ball.

I know that. WHY he did that is what i am wondering. It can get very confusing.

Kenshin333 said:
Lol you didnt understand anything...
And about the end..."The explosives are in play MOVE MOVE MOVE!" I thnk that says everything -.-

:con:

Yeah, *shock combo* "The explosives are in place* MOVE MOVE MOVE!"

Whatever, the first demo was way better

As many people have seen, i get easily confused with early game beta demontrations.

Last edited:

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Yes, German Malcolm = funniest thing I've seen all day.

Anyway, I somewhat agrere with some sentiments here. In this day and age there's no reason to make the same presentation twice, different country or not. People interested in this kind of thing are on the net and have seen the first vid the world over, we need something new. I don't like it when movies or games give away everything, but if they're adding as many new vehicles as they say they are, they can afford to show one or two new ones.

And hey, does anyone know if they ever released a copy of the first vid that was 1st generation? I can't understand why game companies like epic let the fans only see shaky cam versions. Why go to all that trouble just to show clear versions to a few dozen reporters when you can go directly to the consumer?

CheekyDevil

Earth Assault Design Lead
Apr 24, 2004
The Pit of Dispare
dasboogles.com
Umm, to the guy wondering about all the crazy shock-comboing in the video: he was just doing that for fun, and it had nothing to do with anything really. When you first get the game, you'll probaly just fire shock combos off a whole bunch because it's damn pretty.

Firing a shock ball after ejecting from the Scorp had no real affect on anything, and neither did the one he shot off before going into the building at the end. It was just eye candy.

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
holy crap .. I saw it in the USA and I must say : WAAYYY better than in Germany. I mean I must admit that I am German, but why the hell are they translating everything in bloody German, it sounds horrible, doesn't it ? Malcom with a kiddies voice lol

[MD]FT

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
it does look like its in really early stages tho, just hope they dont rush it for Quake 4

One thing that I didnt like about UT2004 and also UT2007 is that the shock explosion was a 3d effect, in UT its just 2D which imo is a lot better and u can see through it. The explosion in UT2007s ball is covered in crap and the visabitly through it aint that great

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
hehe, i remember in the first demo's, he couldn't make that shock combo in the air (after ejecting)... he actually accomplished it this time.

I have some concerns (rockets and rocket explosions, some animation transitions)
but I am jittering with anticipation over this game.
Sheesh, I need to stop buying Xbox games and save up for this new computer I'm gonna need.
________
DEPAKOTE LAWSUIT SETTLEMENTS

Last edited:

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Plumb_Drumb said:
hehe, i remember in the first demo's, he couldn't make that shock combo in the air (after ejecting)... he actually accomplished it this time.

It's harder hitting combos without a crosshair... :) ...especially after you eject from a scopr and fly hi in the air, even if it is in slomo.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
a 2D-explosion in a game with this amount of detail ?
Are you ff-ing crazy ?

Never mind that some people still don't seem to understand the purpose of this demo.
It's got almost nothing to do with the game, except to show that they've got it running.
By removing the manta attacks (which served no purpose as the manta's were pretty much sitting ducks) and about half the enemies you were able to see the rest of the graphics a bit better.

And looking a bit better at the demo showed :
- the raptors ...
- the canopy of the new scorpion opening
- a streetlight being destroyed by the shock (right after he gets out of the tank)

It definitely made a bit more sense.

And as for why Epic doesn't have the 'official' version on the net ... that's obvious too. The last time a higher detailed version appeared people were bitching about the rather low-res / old effects they were using. Some folks really don't seem to understand that the game is barely running and that the engine probably is still being tweaked.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
JaFO said:
Are you ff-ing crazy ?

Never mind that some people still don't seem to understand the purpose of this demo.
It's got almost nothing to do with the game, except to show that they've got it running.
By removing the manta attacks (which served no purpose as the manta's were pretty much sitting ducks) and about half the enemies you were able to see the rest of the graphics a bit better.

- the raptors ...
- a streetlight being destroyed by the shock (right after he gets out of the tank)

And as for why Epic doesn't have the 'official' version on the net ... that's obvious too. The last time a higher detailed version appeared people were bitching about the rather low-res / old effects they were using. Some folks really don't seem to understand that the game is barely running and that the engine probably is still being tweaked.

Thank God we have posters like you. I was getting sick of people complaining that the Rocket Explosions looked Beta...

[MD]FT

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
JaFO said:
Are you ff-ing crazy ?

- the raptors ...

The shock balls in UT2003 and UT2004 were just crap, they faded out before they hit a wall, not sure if it was the collisons or because the balls were a mesh, which I presume because there in 3D . The 2D feel of a shock explosion just feels and looks a lot better, you know where the guy was shooting the combo from, and it doesnt block the entire view. The shock balls in UT2004/3 were just boring, and the balls in UT2007 seem to take up 90% of the screen.

Mark Rein afaik said that the level was in the game, no idea what gametype that the level is from, but it looks bloody crap to say the least, or shall I say, its not my type.

They must have a more solid build now anyway, think that build is a couple of months old now

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
[MD]FT said:
The shock balls in UT2003 and UT2004 were just crap, they faded out before they hit a wall, not sure if it was the collisons or because the balls were a mesh, which I presume because there in 3D . The 2D feel of a shock explosion just feels and looks a lot better, you know where the guy was shooting the combo from, and it doesnt block the entire view. The shock balls in UT2004/3 were just boring, and the balls in UT2007 seem to take up 90% of the screen.
So ?
It's early in development.
It's a demo ... and a tiny/'realistic' explosion would not show the effect on a big screen.

This is still the Unreal-engine and anything you won't like can be mutated to match your mood.
I'd suggest you stick with playing UT'99 since any of this new stuff doesn't seem to be good enough for you.

Mark Rein afaik said that the level was in the game, no idea what gametype that the level is from,
Of course it's "in the game" as it is running and using whatever parts of UT2k7 are 'done'. They've said that they had already 'ported' DM-mechanics to the new engine.

but it looks bloody crap to say the least, or shall I say, its not my type.
It is quite obviously a tech-demo level, considering it has that ff-ing long museum-walk at the start.

I mean it's practically shorter than the very first Assault-level in UT'99 for *beeps* sake.

If it really is 'in-game' then it's probably as either a tutorial or a demo for the 'missions' in Unreal Warfare/Conquest.

They must have a more solid build now anyway, think that build is a couple of months old now
Perhaps they do have a 'more solid' build, but they're (probably) using the one that's 100% certain not to crash while they're showing off. They simply can't risc using last weeks build. Never mind that 99% of the stuff they're doing at this point is invisible to observers.

In articles about the new build they've pretty much said they're using barebones levels for testing/development with the graphics being added at a later stage. I'm pretty sure that they're spending more time on the things that matter and as little as possible on the tech-demo-level they use for shows.

// ---
So far the only beta-quality game I've seen is Driv3r and the BF2-demo.
UT2k3 may not have been as 'perfect' compared to UT2k4, but a beta it most certainly was not.

Last edited:

UnRealist

Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!
Feb 14, 2004
Lublin, east of Poland
Plumb_Drumb said:
Ever since UT2003, I fear beta-like finals getting in our hands for $40. Although, they reversed that a little with 2004.

I was just wondering - what's your definition of a final product? :rolleyes: Ask me - UT2k3 and 2k4 were great games, and that a game needs patching - well, it's absolutely normal, considering the complexity of the game itself... Personally I see no "betaishness" in them at all... :eek:

[MD]FT said:

Personally I think that 3D model looks and behaves far better than 2D sprite... First you have to consider that when rendering a sprite, it will probably be clipped by floor/wall/ceiling/whatever-else-crap-it-hits - this looks unnaturaley. A 3D mesh can be realistically deformed and "wrapped" around things, which looks far better. :) And balls being a 3D object is more logical than a sprite... It's a ball, not a flying pan... :rolleyes:

As for the vid itself - I was hoping for something new about the gameplay, bu considering how far they are from release it's understandable that we haven't seen anything new. German-talking Malcolm was terrible (nothing aginst Germans!!! :) ), they could've left it in orginal. Still waiting, hope they will not ressurrect the Unreal-1-like-style-of-release-slips on this one... ;) :D