1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New system build - boot up problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by randyannie, Jun 14, 2005.

1. randyannie

randyannie Prozac

hey everybody, thanks for reading this post and offering your advice :) .

got a new system build going on, all i have in pc is PSU, MOBO, RAM, DVD DRIVE, CPU 939, FLOPPY, HD AND VID CARD (PCI EXP. X16).

can get pc to power up and it's showing a logo screen, then start windows in safe mode screen, but when i choose this, i'm kicked to screen that says - monitor off in 5 seconds. the hard drive is from another pc - but i didnt think that would be a problem.

any thoughts? thanks, Prozac :)

2. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

if you've taken the PC direct from one PC to another with no changes it'll cause problems. The drive needs formatting and a fresh install needs putting on the hard drive.

3. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Moving the harddrive wont necessarily cause problems. If the hardware is off an entire different setup it won't do. In this case I'm sure Hunter is correct.

Any bleeps from the computer? are all the power cables correctly connected. As with the gfx card and the Ram, are they in right?

4. KaL976

KaL976 *nubcake*

Yeah, you need to format that HD & install a fresh copy of Windows.

5. Gumby

Gumby Pretty in Pink!

Well erm hate to burst your bubbles here guys but i've swapped a few HDD's from PC to PC and they've all been fine... :p

The only real problem comes when you move to a different chipset ie. VIA to Intel etc... or to different type / brand processors... Which i presume you have done here ( by stating that you now have a 939 pin cpu )

Reformat and reinstall - as the other posts have stated ;) and you'll be fine :)

6. Jesus

Jesus The _Real_ Jesus

What happened with my computer when i build it, i kept the same 10gb hard drive for the OS then a 60 for storage (soon to get a 250GB Serial ATA), but i tried to run the OS off of the 10, cause it was already on it. i had a similar problem, although when i get to the windows loading screen and it loaded, my computer went back to DFI's LANParty UT startup splash screen. turns out i had a corrupt bootloader and had to bomb the hard drive and put a fresh install of windows on my computer. what sucks even more is i had data that couldnt be replaced. so, just get a new copy of WinXP or whatever you're running or want to, bomb the hard drive, install the OS, and start new. sometimes it sucks, but noif'e not fair, so bleh. well, that's just my 3 cents. peace.