1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New shock combo more difficult to pull?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by kafros, Aug 24, 2005.

1. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

I'll have to dig some threads up when I have more time... or we could start a poll, lol

2. HardcorexxX

HardcorexxX (.)(.)

All I care aobut is that the primary and secondary shock dont bounce vehicles aorund like ping pong balls. A hand held weapon that only does 45 damage shouldnt send a hell bender FLYING across the screen doing about 7 1080's with a single shot.

3. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

I find UT shock combos much easier to do than 2k4 combos just because they do travel faster. The slower 2k4 cores I always tend to over shoot them, except for lately I've been hitting 90% of my combos. :c

4. nuttella

nuttella Scare

It's easier to hit people with shock combos in UT99, because they can't dodge as far, they have less time to dodge, and the blast radius is a bit larger. But moving combos are harder. It's a smaller target moving faster. It's harder to hit.

5. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I can't kill people with UT2004 combos because their radius is too small for me. For others, it's way too big, apparently, but for me, whenever I manage to hit a combo 9/10 times it's not close enough to do any damage. Generally, when the core is in perfect position to combo someone and do a lot of damage or kill them I miss it. I guess I get distracted by the person being there... :(

6. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

In UT99 I used to use the ShockCombo for defense mostly -- or killing those hidden around walls.

7. -AEnubis-

Actually killing with combos is a whole different story. Yeah, that was easier in UT to balance the fact that making the combo happen could be a little risky, and difficult to do.

8. kafros

kafros F1 manta tryouts

I keep wondering why no-one answers to the post question as well as talking about anything else involving shock combos.

Possible answers:
    1. Yes kafros we did notice that too in the preview videos

2. No. Go get your brain/eyes tested.

May be I should have made a poll..... But I hate polls...

9. Monster Kill

Monster Kill New Member

The combo's damage should be maxxed out. Even if it is small though, remember what you're playing the game on: a PC. You could hit a bead of sweat from like across the map. Hitting a shock ball while strafing won't be a problem after like 5 mintues of playing.

10. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

see, this is the problem with ut2k*. they throw in a bunch of crazy acrobatics. and then they think, its hard to hit someone so they make the weapons have a bigger spread. but what the heck is up with that shock combo? every noob is able to hit the damn ball and its considered a standard. very overpowered and very easy to do. the UT days were sweet indeed. the balance of the game has been broken. I hope 2k7 bring it back but the more i read through this forum i lose this hope.

11. briach

briach ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ

More like everyone that plays in ut2k4's small community has enough time to dedicate to get good at moving combos and such. Moving combos in ut99 are easy and are tons more effective than in ut2k4.

The reason they are easy is because the combo comes in far less variation, than in ut2k4. You can only hit a few combos, because the fast velocity limits the possibilities. An obvious reason that veterans say ut2k4 combos are easier, is because they've already done it for so long so there is basically nothing involved to learn the combo, and also "noobies" in ut2k4, are hardly noobs at all, but instead have plenty of time on their hands to learn combos and there are more experienced people to learn from.

Whereas in ut99, there were a bunch of noobs that didn't have any other game to go to and were tired of getting their asses kicked in Quake games and wanted something more gimmicky. Everyone started a noob. And the term moving shock combo probably wasn't even used very frequently in most servers. The percentage of online player able to hit moving combos grows exponentially, because of the pressures put on player to learn moving combo is much greater when everyone else does it and anyone who can't is seen as a noob. In ut2k4 far more players were experienced in the ut genre, so this caused moving combos to be more of the norm.

Shock combos are just as easy if not easier in ut99 than in ut2k4 for me. And I'm one of the only ut2k4 -> ut99 players on this forum. I did a bunch of "advanced" shock combos and movements on deck 16 easily my first night of playing it.

There wasn't BF2, or HALO to go to back in the days of ut99, so that type of gamer didn't have anywhere to go but into the higher learning curve scifi FPS genre for gimmicks, but now they can get their gimmicks in a lot of different games. Reason? I had people to learn from and feed off. I hit that shock combo from lava rockets teleport to elevator 10% by the end of the night. And I could hit just about every moving shock combo I see in ut99 fragmovies and get from 1st floor to 3rd floor in one jump and etc and jump into redeemer from first floor. Just like how ut99 vets came into ut2k4 feeding all the noobs to fps so we progressed faster.

The only difference with ut99 to me is there seemed like less gimmicks to learn and less things to keep excited about.

ut99 just got kindof boring after awhile for me, because I knew that the only reason you were having fun was because everyone was playing with the unsaid gentleman's agreement, don't over-use sniper and play as aggressively and carefree as possible. And whenever someone with a bad attitude came in and started overusing the easily exploitable sniper, everyone would just grab sniper and rape him badly till he left the server.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  12. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

the way i see it so it gets clear. i have been playing UT with a passion since the first one came out. Im not particularly good but im not a noob either. i loved the gamepley up to UT. after that the game started dying. The shock combo is easier. and because it is easier it destroys the gamplay in the sense that you got noobs running around with mini redeemers. you have a fight with another guy some other noob wants to join in thats ok, i can do 2 against one. but when the noob shots a shock combo and kills everyone without even concentrating, then i call that crap gameplay. people enjoy to kill or be killed as long as the kill comes from skill. when was the last time you enjoyed dying from a redeemer? for me the shock combo is just like that. all weapons have two firing mode. i wouldnt mind at all if the shock combo was done for. but since this is UT and the shock combo is very important i think it should stay but make it much harder and lower damage.
    from the video i saw i would swear the combo has bigger radious now. if ut2k7 comes out in a few months and the gameplay remains the same as 2k4 i will never buy a UT title again. the funny fact is that most of the people i know that have been playing unreal since day 1, have the same opinion with me. most of them actually dont even play 2k4 and stick to the traditional ut99.
    epic games, wanna please the veterans? give us back UT99 gameplay.

13. briach

briach ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ

Summary: I don't know how the gameplay works yet, and I don't like getting beat by people that can't beat me in ut99, because they haven't spent 5 years learning a different game.

They aren't noobs if they can frag you with shock combos so easily.(combos are easy to dodge because of faster movement system and slower shock cores, moreso than in ut99)

You have to dodge jump away from combos, instead of simply dodging away.

I bet you haven't even got the jist of dodge jumping yet. :lol: Don't judge ut2k4 if you can't make use of the movement system yet.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  14. -AEnubis-

Uh, back then, they had CS to go back too.

..and yeah, if you're getting whaked by combos from a 3rd party while your in a fire fight with somone else (that's how that read to me) then it's not the combos fault.

I pray for people to try to hit me with combos, and other projectile based attacks. They are the least of my problems in a 2v1.

15. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

what kind of noob are you?
    you think a straight shock combo in the face gets me? its the combons from other noobs that shoot at will when you got another bout to worry about.

one on one the chances are very slim it will hit me but when i am against two and the combo comes from a noob that is not even part of the battle then i get pissed off. i also get pissed off when playing with team damage and they do it like there is no tomorrow. they made it easy to achive and they have to stop it. end of story.

16. PoPoV

PoPoV New Member

In an interview, it has been said that there will be less of a gap(or something along those lines) between new players and the pros in UT 2007. This could mean that the shock combos aren't that hard to hit(?), because if they are hard to hit, this is going against what they have said.
    But from viewing the videos featuring shock combos, they do look as if they will be harder to hit.

17. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Dont think you can tell how hard to hit from just looking at the video, will have to have game in hands first!! The new shockcores looks blurry and indefined though, i dont like , prefared the tightly packed spheres of plasma from UT99 shockcores, there very defined, more colourful too, not just a blob of energy!!

18. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

i just watched the video again closely. i think the core ball is even smaller than ut99. it looks about the size of a link gun shot. i think thats sweet. no more unskilled noobs hitting the big time with a mini deemer.

19. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Ridiculously exaggerated statement!:eek:

20. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

i dunno man. maybe its the camera that gives this effect but the core looks so small. i can swear its like a link gun shot. maybe im wrong. if im not, i love epic.