New pc overclock info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UDTSNAKE

heart breaker and life taker
Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
I feel like ive re-entered the adult world. I took some pics of my xbox w 250 hd posted on craigs list and sold it the next day. The reason (and purpose of this thread) is that I am getting my new pc. I just coudnt take the whole console thing anymore. I think it was playing crisis on the console.

I will have delivered tomorrow what I would consider an on the mid-low end of the high end pc genre (please do feel free to correct me as I havent had a desktop in a while) So, liquid cooled case and cpu, i7 2600k, 8gig (up to 34)ram, 1.5 tb hd and I just purchased the nvidia 560ti by zotac.

I have never overclocked a pc for the most part. I used some software to overclock an old pc for a minute or two, got nervous and never did it again. The 2600k, again as many know comes unlocked for this purpose. I guess my lay question is, Is there a significant increase in performance that is wildly noticeable or is the whole overclocking thing just overblown and really for reaching previously unattainable benmarks for a couple seconds that are unsustainable? Ive snooped around some of the overclocker forums and I cant really tell. figured Id start here, get some feedback on my sytem specs and see if I have any bragging rights...:) From what I can tell Ill be able to play arma 2 (which I have never played and am dying to) and all the others that I have missed out on in the past 6 years. Anyone have any recomendations. Im looking at STALKER, Crisis Warhead, the arma, red orchorestra...I be busy catching up in a coulple years of pc games..

UDTSNAKE

heart breaker and life taker
Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
you prob would have been better off i you got a lower end cpu with a better gpu..

Im guessing your talking about paying less for cpu and using extra cash towards gpu? It really wasnt the money. Ive seen benchmarks on the 560ti and since I posted this, I have performed some due dilligence on the overclocking. I think I could have gone 100 bucks more and gotten the 570. So, if money was the issue you would be correct however, I think I can go Sli with another card and get similar results to a 580 and still be cheaper than a 580. I really wanted the 2600k just to get into tweeking all the stuff. Im a total noob so dont be surprised if my next post resembles "Help, my mother board is melting" or something. I think I have a fairly scalable system with some decent room for growth.

On another note I was looking at gaming statitics and pc gaming is being crushed by consoles in growth dollars and volume of games purchased. Article after article talks about how this or that game is running direct x 9 to be compatible with the consoles. Im wondering if I came back to pc gaming only to see its demise in the next couple years to a gamer who turns on the xbox right after watching the kardashians.