1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New nVidia driver, ups and downs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by krate, Sep 13, 2001.

1. krate

krate Newbie for life

I just put the new nVidia driver on my Matrox GeForce DDR machine.
    On the down side, the refresh rate is now stuck at 60 Hz, which is going to drive me insane for regular use.
    On the up side, the blacked-out railings are fixed! That is, the fences and guard rails on bridges and other sheets with transparent holes that used to be clogged with black now show correctly.

If anyone finds a fix to the refresh rate, I'd be very happy. I looked in the place where the setting used to be, and in every place in the deep nest of controls. I even dug through the registry, but I couldn't find any settings.

P.S.,

I'd like to second what Profetus said in his statement about keeping it pure today, he is right on:
    Please refrain from posting threads about "Nuking" or "Killing" a country or race of people. Think logically, keep your emotions in check. Because when all of this is over, some of you may feel ashamed for what you wrote (I'm not talking about anyone specifically). This goes for the supporters of retribution and those who feel the U.S. "had it coming".

2. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

*MOVED*

3. LifesBane(4Corners)

LifesBane(4Corners) Active Member

I'm liking them so far-- but it still hasn't fixed the black railing problem. To fix it for me, I just basically flush every 5 seconds for a little bit, whilst flying throughout the level. Eventually, they usually go away. Although sometimes I've had it REAPPAEAR when I flush (if they've been gone) :)

4. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

I got some bad effects in OFP, so I cleaned my drivers and stepped back. I think I had some corruption because 800x600 was showing in a reduced vertical size for some reason. Wouldn't have know except Diablo II runs at that res now.

Maybe I'll try it again.

5. CyanideTriscuit

CyanideTriscuit UScript hack

I installed them and got absolutely NO performance gain or hit with my GF2 MX. Bah.

6. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

Which version of drivers are you talking about?

7. NotBillMurray

8. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Is there any reason to install this? Is the risk of getting slower or faster performance worth it?

9. NotBillMurray

Sometimes it can make all the difference. I would just recommend keeping a zip of your current drivers and then taking the plunge. You may be one of the lucky ones to get the massive performance increase that this is capable of.

10. yurch

Well, if it helps out with one of my other games :rolleyes: it might be worth it.

11. krate

krate Newbie for life

I didn't measure my performance change, but my pal told me he had about a 25% improvement with his Geforce 3 card.

Regarding the blacked-out cutout texture sheets, another pal tells me that this is due to the graphic card running out of texture heap space. He says you can fix this by setting the heap size in the shortcut to be a larger fraction of your available memory. He used:
    -heapsize 256000

but the number you should use depends on how much memory you have. I haven't tried it myself. The new drivers seem to have fixed the problem.

Nobody else has reported the problem with not being able to adjust the refresh rate.

12. -=BlackBall=-

-=BlackBall=- New Member

my geforce2 GTS/Pro got neither hit nor gain from em. from what i have been reading, the real performance boosts have been almost exclusivley on the Geforce3 architectures...

-=BlackBall=-

13. LifesBane(4Corners)

Hey thanks Krate, I'll have to check that out.

14. LifesBane(4Corners)

By The Way-- I do like them, they do seem to increase my framerate.

15. yurch

Tribes 2 Screams with it :) thanks.

16. Excelsiore

Excelsiore Binary Liberation Front

Seems to me that if you have a Geforce card go for it, anything else and keep your current drivers, TNT2 for example

17. Sparky_NZ

Sparky_NZ Don't Flinch

I was testing them out offline on a few maps and I got around 5-10fps better. They work for me and my GF2 MX so I'm not complaining

18. Draco-1

Draco-1 I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.

I just installed XP, and had to move my upgrading plans up a bit and purchase a new video card. I picked a GF3, and UT ran horribly. I'm using the latest drivers and still saw the black railings in D3D. I was looking for the OGL upgrade for UT, and did a search and found this in our own forums:

OGL Thread in the Troubleshooting Forum

This fix brought my framerates up to the same level as my V3, but with all the eyecandy turned on, and no black railings. It also lets you set your refresh rate. I really suggest 85. If you have a GeForce, I really reccomend this fix. Especially since nVidia much prefers OGL over D3D.

19. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

After I installed Inf 2.86 my frame rate in it plummeted. With these it seems to be working fine again.

20. krate

krate Newbie for life

Finally found my refresh rate problem. I had to select the correct monitor type, and it came up correctly.