New Mod for Unreal 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ole

Nov 20, 2001
UK
www.planetunreal.com
New mod starting up upon the release of Unreal 2, already in a deep planning stage with 6 members. Read all about it (down) you can join now.

About Europa 2101
=============
Europa 2101 will be a RPG/First Person Shooter set on starships AND on the surface/underground of Europa [a Frozen Moon of Jupiter]. It will be an interactive and dynamic game. The player will be able to manipulate almost any objects they want, store things in their inventory and upgrade their character, technology and weaponry over the course of the game. This game will be a futuristic shooter combined with a detailed, interactive RPG. We aim it to be comparable to Deus Ex or the System Shock series.

As we are not planning to include multiple game routes/choices. I have removed the references.

Europa 2101 Public Story
====================
As the new century arises man prepares for their mission, further than their grasp has ever reached before. In search of life. The voyage that united the three colossal corporations will always be remembered. But united is not the right word, intertwined is the reality. The public divided - the poor and the powerful. A microcosm contained within one ship. Destined to lead the human race.

Humans had warred on the Earth for too long and scarred it terribly. When the fighting stopped, those who could fled to the heavens - the Upworlders. They took the last of the nuclear fire and began to terraform Mars. Others created in giant City islands high above the clouds; bio-domes miles wide leaving frozen rivers of waste and filth as they tore through the void. The poor - the Downworlders - still writhe in the War Torn Earth. Forced to hide or work as slaves for the powerful. The terra lifts, the only bridges to the forgotten planet, carry only steel, never again men. Yet they lie, the Downworlders, they lie in waiting, in preparation, preparation for redemption. The public has been kept blissfully of everything propaganda is their sight. They see the poor no more than the violence and corruption at the edge of their sight. But now every soul feels unrest, humanity is unsettled, but no one can see what has disturbed mankind's dust. Even the three great powers, corporations they were once, bent on triumph and glory are shielded from the truth. This is the silence before the Slaughter. This is the time of reckoning.

Member Issues
===========
If you have the right skills then joining our mod could be an excellent experience for you. If you can do any of the follow you could benefit our cause: -

1. Map/Weapon Design (Futuristic weapons/Spacecraft and surface of Europa map design. Sound difficult? We offer comprehensive guidelines so you won't be stuck.)

2. Mappers. Are you skilled with UED? Do you want the chance to learn UED for Unreal 2? Then this is your best opportunity yet! You'll the chance to work with new game code and new textures. Don't feel that you are restricted by having map designers. The purpose of the map designers is to provide ideas and make it easier to structure your levels. We'll allow you to go off course as much as you like after all the end product is what counts.

3. Modelling. Unreal 2 model and pawn engine is more sophisticated then ever; you'll get the chance to model new futuristic weaponry, weird alien enemies, mechs, spaceships, as well as things like packets of crisps. Our mod aims to achieve realism by having seemingly useless items scattered around which a good player will be able to make use off.

4. Skinning/Animation. Read above modelling. Skinner could also get the chance to design several game interfaces. Ever done a Winamp skin?

5. Coding. Programmers will provide an important part of our mod. In the end you'll get to try a bit of everything with a new coding engine. We already have coder who has worked on several UT mods before and is looking for a second person to teach or learn from. As for the programming you'll be doing, expect varied tasks.

5. Texture artists. Designer new textures, editing textures, porting and modifying textures. Working closely with skinners.

We can promise that if you join the mod: -
1. You'll be able to leave when you like if you find it doesn't suit you
2. The stuff you'll be asked to do will be interesting at all times, and you may have several other things to do so you'll be able to swap around if you fancy a change.
3. You'll get a say in all aspects of the mod. Your views can impact the end result of the mod.
4. You'll get to work with several other people in the mod.
5. There aren't any official deadlines too as much or as little as you like.
6. Already have music, sound engineering, and website personal.
7. You can join by sending a sample of work or under a recommendation from any other team members.

For more information email me at: cheesespongefinger@hotmail.com

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Gosh, I start to feel an agony like the y2k agony, but in this case it's more of a U2 agony :D
What am I gonna do, man I gotta do something good, but what?
I have something nifty in mind, but I would like the complete engine specification list to see what can be dome and so.
Among all the questions I have things like "Will there be cylinder-collision again or IK-collision or what?" e.t.c.
Maybe they can answer at the U2 forum?... :rolleyes

Ole

Nov 20, 2001
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Nobody know exactly what is gonna be in the new Unreal 2 engine. However Eater (the coder i've been werkin with on Nali Chronicles) says that there is polygon-by-polygon colisions which apparently is a worthy big celebration for you guys.

I know my plee for coders and other people (at the top) is a bit early considering the release date for Unreal 2 but I think it is important to develop a good sized team and good relationships between the team before we even start.

Ole

Nov 20, 2001
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Oh and another thing in reply to usaar33's comments. We think that the stuff we intend to do in the mod may be to complex for the UT engine. Or maybe not but what is for sure is...

WE WANNA BE THE FIRST U2 MOD EVER!!
MAHHAHAHHAHHAH

ahem : )

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Ah well, since there about 100 ravenous mod developers awaiting the new set of uscript, I doubt there will be a "first". And if there is, it will be probably be a simple UT mod that someone ports over.

I'm with usaar, break ground now. Port code later. Modding is too much fun to wait for game schedules. Sides, those things slip ya know :)

rgx

Shiit

Shiit
Dec 19, 2000
And don't worry about stuff being too complex for the UnrealT engine. You see, they made Deus Ex with the U1 engine, and with Unreal Tournaments additions (mainly Uwindows) to that old piece o' scrap (Nononono, not a piece of crap. It was really good for it's time) it should be even easier. (Easy being a relative term. It's still an idea of 'extraordinary magnitude'.)

Ole

Nov 20, 2001
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Ok you have a point about the whole too complex thing. I really just said that so that i'd sound more clever :). Anyway we aren't going to start making it in UT because I simply don't think that we'll be able to port without doing the whole thing again and anyway there's plenty of map design, texture work, modeling, music and sound we can do before the game comes out.

Anyway remember guys if you are interested in werkin on the mod email me cheesespongefinger@hotmail.com

zenzelezz

Sep 5, 2001
Now I am absolutely not very familiar with Unreal 2 will or will not feature, but I, like others, hope for non-collision-cyldinger collision detection. Someone (sorry, I'm too lazy to go back to see who) has mentioned polygon-by-polygon detection... I've heard this before, but seeing the pretty high polygon counts on both the 3D models and the maps in Unreal 2, poly-collision seems pretty heavy on any computer... I'd think that something like Half-Life's hit-box system would be better, at least on the CPU. (Polygon-collision would of course (well, unless I coded it ;) be more accurate)

Guess we'll just have to wait and see really =/

-- zenzelezz

Ole

Nov 20, 2001
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I agree with that. Perhaps the masters at Epic have figured out something better. Perhaps every other polygon or something. Maybe the level is determined by CPU speed a bit like a detail level, I dunno. Anyway if you interested in werkin with the Unreal engine in future drop your email and i'll remember you when it's released otherwise email me see above for adress.

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
1) Are you sure there is poly based mesh collision? I find that hard to believe.
2) Assuming that Unreal2 lacks a demo manager and the headers are released with the game, demo manager version who knows what will be released very early for it :)

Plus what you really have to worry about is maps take more time for U2. I'm glad I'm staying with coding :p