new MGS3:snake eater vids

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
One things that bugs me as well is how you can crawl in the grass, making such a mess that anybody can see it a mile away, yet your camo percentage remains high. It should be high only when you're not moving.

Last edited:

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
It goes down while you're moving, usually. Anyhow, I think the instant change in camoflauge was for demonstration purposes only. That menu that came up looked way too "presentation-ish" to actually be in the game.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
We're talking about a series where guards can only see 8 feet in front of them and can't see someone on the other side of a brightly-lit hall. What did you expect :p

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
...Yes, I have. The radar goes away, but you can still aim at a guard in 1st person who is 10 feet away and, at most, he'll go "huh? Is that a person in the brightly-lit hall, and is that a gun he's holding, and is there a big red dot on that gun? Hmm... Maybe I should investi-" *shot in the face.*

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
On a side note, don't you just love how the game is only a great deal harder because so many of the camera views give you a 5-foot field of vision? I swear, you have to either memorize the game, use 1st-person view every two seconds, or be very good at fighting off guards.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
I wish they had a longer field of view, but what bugged me how was even in Extreme, if I took my suppressed SOCOM and shot someone across a room with it (not fatally), they'd just stand there and look around before radioing in that they had been attacked. They should have ducked behind the nearest cover or run away to a safe spot, then called in IMO.

Still, in firefights their AI was pretty good, although I wish they'd run from grenades (I barely used them compared to MGS...)

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
What bothered ME was their terrible accuracy at point-blank range. They exhibit the finest spec-ops training in their movements and coordination but they can't hit **** from five feet away.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
They're not that inaccurate. Firefighting isn't bad in MGS. If the soldiers were as accurate as the best INF players are, it would be completely impossible to play, since it's third-person and has limited control/viewing angles. It's pretty hard to fight in first-person, sadly. However, it's a sweet game and a great change of pace. MGS is a fun game that has a lot of really nice realistic touches. It also beats the nuts off of Splinter Cell. Mostly because Splinter Cell doesn't let you kill your hostages and also, bullet damage is BS (shooting people in the head doesn't kill them sometimes). Other than that, it would be a good game. INF could use a few features from MGS in terms of movement and such. The newly created "blind tossing" of nades is something that is desperately needed in INF. Also, attacking somebody from behind, you should be able to hold them and stab into their windpipe and then cut outwards, if you wanted to be completely stealth that is. Anyway, back to MGS....

Snake Eater looks really damn good. The camo idea is great, and even though it can apparently be switched on the fly, it's a huge step towards realism. The smoke grenade effect shown in the E3 trailer is nothing short of amazing. This will be my favorite game until INF3.0. I do think that First-Person control kinda sucks in MGS. However, it's extremely useful when dealing with a big room full of soldiers. Enemy AI is supposed to be pretty intense in this game. Apparently, they can hear footsetps now and hear you from pretty far away. Also, I don't think there is radar (at least they haven't mentioned it yet). Either way, I think it'll be the best game of this year, aside from Halo 2. It's just a shame that we get stuck with the crappy first-gen M-16 jamming rifle :mad: . Did you guys try the first-person mode in Substance for VR missions? The japanese release had a full FPS mode :mad: . Pretty damn hard to do, but it's so much more satifying breaking somebody's neck in first-person.

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
I think Splinter Cell is a great game. I don't really compare the two because they are very, very different ("sneak around in the dark" theme not withstanding). Splinter Cell is how I would expect a sneaky game to be done, whereas Metal Gear Solid takes the genre and has a field day with it, practically creating its own. Metal Gear Solid is kinda like the pro wrestling of spy games in that it's so ridiculously over-the-top and unrealistic, but at the same time, you can get great enjoyment out of it if you suspend disbelief and just accept the game's world on its own terms (on that note, the fact that Sam Fisher runs around with GLOWING LIGHTS ON HIS HEAD will always bug me a little).

Metal Gear Solid's biggest problem, aside from the 10 Minutes Of Gameplay For Every 30 Minutes Of Cutscene, is the need to rely on the radar. Like I said, unless you've memorized the game or press 1st-person every two seconds, the camera usually gives you a bullshit view that looks spiffy, but lets you see about 4 feet in front of you; particularly, I hate it when your character has to run "towards" the camera, giving you a great view of where you've been, but not where you're actually going.

In the original Metal Gear games, as well as, to an extent, Metal Gear Solid for GBC (aka Ghost Babel), you don't need to stare at a radar. In fact, the original games didn't even have one, to my recollection. Sure the bird's-eye-view isn't very cinematic, but it suited the gameplay very well. If I have to sit around and play a game to kill time for an hour, I'd rather play the GBC MGS instead of the PS2 version. If I played the PS2, I'd end up spending most of that time pressing Triangle to skip conversations, and Start to skip cutscenes :p

I'm hard on MGS2, but as it stands, the game was, as a whole, a great experience. Raiden can die a million deaths at the hands of a rabid Mormon, but at least he got less annoying as the game progressed. I actually found the convoluted story entertaining, as I'm a big pro wrestling fan and therefore used to random, stupid plot swerves that are thrown in simply because no one would be expecting them :p. I think it's great that Kojima decided to have a field day with the plot. I wouldn't want every game's plot to be that far-fetched, but it was nice to get a break from traditional (read: sensible) storytelling.

On that note, an Anemone or Clematis plant's juice can cause a rash. When pruning them, it's a good idea to wear gloves.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
the VERY original (metal gear) didnt have radar... but everything form metal gear 2: solid snake did have radar (though i never play with radar.... even first go ;) ) but then you gotta think about all the work they put into the background... they give you all that detail... itd be a shame if you just didnt see any of it..
i really like both series (mgs and splinter cell) :p splinter cell for the stunts and slightly more realistic theme (though i dont think were gonna find people who can do splits jump 3m off the ground or the new half splits jump that can boost to you to ledges about 4m off the ground :eek: ) and mgs for the story and faster paced action.. but both are really well presented games.

oh yeah about first person cracwhore, the first person got very easy after you got used to the system (which kinda happens after you finish the first mission) but its not that good.. anyone else gotten to the end of the VR missions? they kinda fixed the view distance thing by the time you get to mgs1 snake, and those VR missions are really fun.

and hey OICW, isnt it funny when you shoot out their radio :p ? they just stand there shaking it while you headshot them =P

anyone else here finished the VR? just like to say that the final variety mission is great fun :D

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
My favorite thing to do to MGS2 guards is shoot the exclamation point that appears over their head when they see you. It makes them just stand around and look confused, with little bubbles floating over their heads. It's like, "Duh, where's the birdy, George?" :lol:

Also, when you're leading Emma Emmerich around, take out the coolant spray and blast her face with it. She'll keep looking away as you keep spraying her face. This is easily the most fun to be had in the game.

Last edited:

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
Also, I don't think there is radar (at least they haven't mentioned it yet).
No radar. Period. This was revealed awhile ago, much to the chagrin of many players.
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
Metal Gear Solid is kinda like the pro wrestling of spy games in that it's so ridiculously over-the-top and unrealistic, but at the same time, you can get great enjoyment out of it if you suspend disbelief and just accept the game's world on its own terms (on that note, the fact that Sam Fisher runs around with GLOWING LIGHTS ON HIS HEAD will always bug me a little).
Just a little note on this, those lights are out of the visible spectrum, and the player is only allowed to see it so that he or she knows where Sam is in the really dark areas.
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
Also, when you're leading Emma Emmerich around, take out the coolant spray and blast her face with it. She'll keep looking away as you keep spraying her face. This is easily the most fun to be had in the game.
You obviously haven't beaten her unconscious and then dragged her by the legs through a pile of bugs.

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
After watching that video i have to wash my shorts! I think camo and more stealth will enhance the gameplay lots. It will be very interesting using camos while infiltrating small weapon caches/bases/huts ect. Can't wait for the juicy goodness!

edit:Cold killer the accuracy did seem off but the games still in development. My god your one picky guy to underestemate MGS.

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Cold Killer: Wind him up and watch him go.

If it wasn't so nauseatingly easy I'd probably do it myself for my cheap sadistic kicks instead of tramp lighting or baiting AA meetings with free beer.

It also beats the nuts off of Splinter Cell. Mostly because Splinter Cell doesn't let you kill your hostages and also, bullet damage is BS (shooting people in the head doesn't kill them sometimes).

Why kill them when you can knock them out?

You're supposed to be a ghost. A little patch of blank that does the NSA's bidding. The less dead bodies you leave behind the better.

As far as the pistol goes, it's a Five seveN. It's a glorified .22. A supressed .22 with a load light enough to be almost silent. It's also woefully inacurate (you can see exactly how inacurate if you buy the sequel and turn the laser on). Hit them anywhere but the cranium/facebones and they're not going down in one shot.