1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New Map

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by BlueX, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueX

BlueX Soldier

XMP-Sandstorm-beta1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. King of Hearts

King of Hearts The last American hero.

Stat fps plzthx

3. BlueX

BlueX Soldier

:\ fine

*note if i'm getting green, yellow, or purple it'll be most likely better for you

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

king unless you have his system its not gonna do you alot of good, xmp reacts diffrently to every system config, hell i had 2 identical systems and it ran great on one and like crap on the other, no clue why, tryed for the longest time to figuar that out to.

5. EQ²

EQ² Code Monkey

Dude, that looks way too early to call beta, maybe you should be introduced to the idea of "alpha". Looks like there is a huge amount of work to be done on the terrain, the lighting and the general design.

Load up the existing maps and see how they're made, and spend some time learning to use the terrain tools to best effect. Would probably also benefit from some sort of skybox, and a radar (even a basic one), although I think your primary concern should be with sorting the lighting, and establishing a more consistent feel for the map.

Best thing to do is to post pics as development progresses, but if you call stuff "beta" after half an hour's work, people aren't going to take you seriously. Don't be discouraged, it's great that people are still into making maps for XMP, so nice work. But expect criticism (because nothing is ever perfect) and don't be afraid of spending hours on the small details. That sort of thing can really make or break a map.

6. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

Seems kinda' a waste bro.. We got a new map.. We got a new master server.. But most of the other maps on the servers seem like they a 4 yr. old made them for Quake I..

Not dissing your work.. In fact: ging props to you, Omen and EQ.. How the hell are we gonna' bring player base back despite the massive efforts of the above, when the game has turned to **** visually(and gameplaywise....)

7. CrazyLittleOne

CrazyLittleOne New Member

Another new person. The new master server is either going to be a blessing or a curse. Still haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards blessing.

8. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

Is the Farmer in the dell really a new person?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  9. [DCSB]Moo

[DCSB]Moo New Member

Although i love the fact that people are getting into mapping in the XMP community, i really dont thin kyour should release a first attempt..... of what looks like a first attempt.
    XMP maps are very difficult to design due to the significance detail will have on the game.
    If you need any help with the editor i would be more then happy to help you with what knowledge i have, But please dont consider releasing the map those screen shots are from. It doesnt look good.

BSE..Moo
    Not looking for additives

10. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

Though you are generally correct(not enough for me to disagree). It's less of that probably then the fact there are plenty of maps forced upon the U2xmp player that look like there made by 3 yr olds hitting the keyboard randomly..

I wouldn't mind(in U2XMP) a somewhat crummy map if it played well.. Noone has put out anywhere near a decent U2 map in well over a year..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  11. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

*cough*RGB*cough*

12. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

I am hardly 3 years old sir.

13. Killinya

Killinya [BBF]Killinya

I think boxworld would be a better example.
    /me shudders

EQ gave excellent advice...Im learning alot myself by doing just what he said.

14. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

crusher *shudders* *gages*

15. BlueX

BlueX Soldier

i thought beta was used before alpha so i can change the name eq otherwise it may look bad and everything i know i still have stuff to learn but atleast play it before you start breakin it down (in a good way i mean). its different ingame imo.

16. Whitey

Whitey [pet]flamingo

Not a new person at ALL... nor is he hard to figure out... I think...;)

17. Olga

Olga Miffed

In the Greek alphabet, alpha comes before beta. Hence, alphabet.

18. BlueX

BlueX Soldier

i know that but i mean i dont see maps with names XMP-sandstorm-alpha1 i see beta 1 and when a map is finished i just see XMP-Sandstorm so thats why i used beta.

19. CrazyLittleOne

CrazyLittleOne New Member

That's because the map's are still in the alpha stage and not really needing to be released when they are equal to yours, then beta is when they become released to the public for their openions.

20. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Well BlueX, it seems you have grown up a bit since the last time I saw you, so I shall comment on your map for the better of it.

Is this a cave?

First off, you should look at the sides of your maps (the edges of the terrain part). A very common mistake by new mappers (I did this too before I learned) is that they extend the terrain and then just chop it off at the side. It really looks like crap compared to great maps with terrain. If you look at Garden, you see that the terrain raises up and extends outwards. You can't get to it, but it actually looks like land goes on beyond the map. Not just a cut off then blocking volume. Hourences made a great tutorial for this. Here is the link for terrain. The best I know of. http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com/tut's/tutorial_ter.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.