1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

new map in teh works

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DeVaToX, May 22, 2004.

1. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

staretd working on a new map , always fancied makin a map like this :) still got loads to do on it and unsure of actual gametype yet will probbly try and make it onslaught since its a huge map

anyways here a few screenies would be great to hear some ideas on unique things to get up and down from objects

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RFairey

RFairey King of the Faireys

The screen looks too square - needs to be wider than it is tall. Apart from that it looks incredible! I wish my desk was that tidy.... :D

3. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

yup i despratly need to upgrade the monitor maybe one of those tft ones
    and i wish my desk was as tidy as that also :) i will clutter it up some more with beeeeer bottles an what not, still alot more things to make yet though

4. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

have a 30cm ruler resting on the edge of teh desk, so when you walk to the end, it "twangs" you up to the top of the shelves next to the speakers :)

u could have a custom sound for that 2.

5. combitz

combitz Common sense is not that common

omg there like buses. you wait for one and ....

Looks like your going well, the cd's look great but i'd lighten the room a lot as it looks very dark. You can always take ideas from my new DM-Toys-Story map and $L@!N how spooky we both had the same idea about the ruler. Couldn't get mine to work as I wanted you to jump up and down again and again like a spring board but time ran out.

Keep going. It will be a lot of work but just watch the poly count for each room as its really easy to grind good v/cards to a halt with such large detailed areas. If we can find 4 or 5 good toy sized maps we could put a bonus pack together. I'd never seen anything like this before which is why I tried it and you seem to be on the right track.

Good work

6. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

nice idea bout teh ruler i c if i can pull that one off

bonus pack idea sounds too damm cooolio iam very intrested

the lighting i havent wroked on yet that much its just interim lighting and ambiant lighting for now i always work on that last of all

i downloadin toy story map now i checked the screenies out it looks pretty damm sweeeeeet i like the race track coming down the stiars :)

i will post more pics when i build more

7. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

been working on it more today adding more items etc :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mulch_D

Mulch_D Noxious Weed

love the idea of a fish tank, good stuff, keep it up. :)

9. combitz

yea lol at the cats widescreen tele

10. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

This is a very cool map, can't wait to see the finished product.

11. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

thanx

its progressin very nicely i did run into a few fps problems specialy around the fishtank, but thats sorted now with the help of some huge antiportals , fps steadys around 30 to 35 around that particular area now , and rises to around 50 to 60 as u look away, so i can live wi that:)

evrything is in place now i just gotta make loads of meshs to clutter it up so it dont look as tidy now also worked some on the lighting secialy the fishtank area heres an updated pic

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  12. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

I just noticed that some of the lighting looks strange on large static meshes, especially if there aren't a lot of polygons in them (speakers .. the red light!). Make it out of BSP, and then export out the lightmaps that UnrealED generates. Then you replace it back with the static mesh and then add a UV2Texture of the lightmap that you just genereted onto the static mesh... should looks great!

Wasn't sure if you knew that or not, but it would definately help that!

And ooooooh fishys! Just like Microsoft's screen saver!

13. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

intresting

were does unreal ed store these lightmaps in the mylevelpackage? i will take a look

or it may be becuase i havent totaly finished the lighting in the main play area yet iam still using mainly ambiant lighting from the zoneinfo

14. RFairey

RFairey King of the Faireys

Could you explain that lightmapping technique more fully? I've been trying lightmapping in maya but its no good since it slaps watermarks over erything it renders. If you can do it in the Ed (even if I have to build everything once in BSP and again as a smesh) that would solve a few problems...

15. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

i got no idea about the lightmap thing i dont even know were unreal ed stores em , tried finding some tutorial bout it but no luck there either oh well

anyways beside that i been workin alot more on teh map got loads of objects in place and collision for them worked quite a bit on the lighting and optimizing, added antiportals were ever i could so the fps is still pretty good for teh size of the map , it still a bit dark in places so i may need to tweak it more , add some lamps an stuff, apart from that evrything is takin shape , but still a long way to go befor its actualy playable ,

heres a overhead view of the actual map

screenie

16. combitz

to light the dark corners, were real light would get to by reflection, add a zone info in an easy to find spot and set its light value to 16-20 and give it a nice high saturation of white/yellow. It should make the room feel warm and improve overall lighting and feel.

17. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

yea i done that already got like a soft yellow light coming from zone info, was set on 5 though so il tweak it up some to about 15 or 20

18. CyberSirius

CyberSirius Mostly dead.

Monitors makes light so place some very light blue lights on the monitors (saturation of about 220-230).

19. JonAzz

JonAzz UA Mapper

and maybe put in a flouresent desk light or two...

20. DeVaToX

DeVaToX SAS Mapper

been working on map quite a bit getting powercores and nodes in place, and also vehicles. Also botpathed it wich is a total nightmare (still needs some tweaks) although map is quite chalenging as it is, but whilst spectating some bots apear dumb they act like n00b's so il work a bit more on that, still a few collision issues to sort out , over all though its gettin there

heres a few ingame screenies with bots only 16 of em

one

two

three

four

map maybe ready for beta testing in a week or so if anyone is up for it would apreciate any feedback , would give me chance to get rid of any issues befor i make a final release

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004