1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New Look

Discussion in 'Site Discussion / Suggestions' started by dub, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Tsylatac

Tsylatac International Seahorse Inseminator

It does seem very cookie-cutterish. The thing that really bothers me is that it no longer stretches to fill the whole screen, and the news isn't as readily readable - the background is rather distracting. It's not as bad as I first thought, but it doesn't seem so individual any more.

2. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Let me make one comment about relative vs fixed width websites:

Relative width websites rarely work well anymore. Even average monitors can display resolutions greater than 1024 x 768. I'd be willing to bet that many readers use an even higher desktop resolution than that. I have two PC's... one that runs at 1280 x 1024 and one that does 1680 x 1050, and I'm by no means a cutting edge enthusiast.

With a relative width (such as the old design), the news looked like total ass at high resolutions. Typical news stories that consisted of a paragraph and a single pic became one loooooooooooooooong line of text, with a pic tacked on at the end like a gluttonous punctuation mark. Not to mention the fugly blank space that the vertical space of the pic made between news posts.

I always tried to format the news in such a way that it was relatively pleasing at 1024 x 768, but that screen resolution is rapidly losing popularity. Don't even mention wide aspect screens.

Fact is, that most websites are trending towards fixed widths so that they have some control over the format of their page, for these very reasons. And it's a well known fact that people read faster (and comprehend better) text that is mostly focused right in front of them. Having to scan your eyes back and forth over a wide area is tiring and much more difficult to read.

There is a big debate in the web development community over all of these points. It's not a simple solution given the wide variety of screen resolutions at which people view web pages. We'll come up with something though. Don't worry.

3. {RA}SKYFURNACE

{RA}SKYFURNACE Game Mapper & Press

4. hal

I just checked that validator, and a whole bunch of the stuff it spit back out was totally inconsequential. Some of it was even bogus.

5. dub

dub

One thing I really don't like on the main page, is the way the news is separated!
    It's really tough to see where one story ends and the next begins... more so, which comment link will take you to which story. Well, at least the way I see it, it's less intuitive.
    Better/more obvious sepparators please!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  6. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

Don't really see the point of the "permalink" portion next to "comments". Plus, the GoW skin should also make the page go grey and crimson IMO.

7. dub

dub

IMO permalink replaces the 'news post number' from the old site, usefull if you are linking from another forum to a specific news post.

8. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Custom User Text goes here.

I miss the random UT images in the corner...

And the malcom watermark is slightly annoying behind the text, it's easier to read the stuff further down.

Not sure about the colors yet. The whole thing kind of reminds me of the difference between ut99 and ut2003, it used to be somewhat grimy and mettalic looking, now it's more polished and plastic-like.

9. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

New design: :tdown::mad:

10. TriDane

TriDane New Member

Hal,

I agree with you on one point, variable width sites don't really work, I nearly always create a fixed width site when developing

Point two though, the W3C know what they are talking about, your missing a ridiculous number of alt tags for your images and as for the missing </a> tags.

<a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=1029>Gamecloud</a>
    <a href='http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=162752'>0 Comments</a>
    <a href="http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/site/about.php">About BeyondUnreal</a>

sorry but the above is sloppy, <a href=", <a href=' or <a href= pick one????

I don't normally like to pick but from one of the best Unreal Sites on the web (best as far as I am concerned) I would expect a compliant site, especially from a site that posts Firefox updates on its news page.

11. igNiTion

igNiTion here

The comments link is auto-generated, they probably don't have control over that. Besides..who cares - the link works, that's what matters.

12. hal

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The stuff that is non-compliant is not broken.

I have gotten out of the habit of surrounding my URLs with " " in news posts because it simply doesn't matter. The second link is autogenerated through our CMS. The third link is RaptoR's site code and is actually the standard if I'm not mistaken.

Alt for images? Firefox doesn't even show them anyway and how many people really browse without images?

All those things are technically incorrect, but they do not break the site in any way.

A few of the other complaints it made were about unsupported characters which simply aren't there.

I understand about being technically correct and all, but don't look for me to take the extra time to surround URLs with " " and include alt descriptions for images. It's taking all the time I have just to get done what I get done. It's a little lazy, I know, but you won't know... if you don't peek behind the curtains! ;)

13. Mix

Mix So Fresh and So Clean

As the designer of the old version (bw, thanks to those who complimented it), I'm a little sad to see it go, but nothing lasts forever, nor should it.

I'm happy you kept the logo, I'm quite fond of it.

14. Tetris L

Tetris L Smartass

I'm sorry, but (without having checked other skins that the defaul one) I gotta say: The new look looks utter crap. I'm shocked. :(

15. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Join the Club

Amen.

16. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

I'm in love with this new look!

17. FreakinMeany

FreakinMeany Booga booga boo!

Please don't force us to change our surfing habits :D ;)

Just because everyone's monitors today are 1024x768 and above doesn't mean that everyone is surfing full screen. Aside from my wacky parents, none of my close friends and associates surf full-screen, most keeping their browser open about half- or three-quarters of their screen... especially when you talk about wide screen displays like my girlfriend has. Where an 800x600 window takes up a TINY corner of her monitor and surfing fullscreen means large expanses of annoying space with a tiny web site in the middle.

Wish I could complain about having too large of a screen ;)

Actually, 1024x768 is growing in popularity. According to the W3C Schools browser stats (and my own various server logs), 1024x768 is just reaching 55% saturation, with 800x600 still at 25%. Now I'll say the stats for gamers might be skewed higher, but not all of us surf BU from our gaming machines either :)

In my experience, it's mostly the ametuer and hobby sites that are going fixed (and probably because it's about 100x easier than trying to get liquid to work perfectly in every case -- especially with table-less CSS design).

From my professional point of view (doing web design and custom web application development), liquid and non-fixed layouts are about on equal footing. It really depends on the application itself, the target audience and what the client wants. These days, it's not uncommon to see "must fill browser window" written in the site requirements documents.

That is for sure! And one of the many reasons I don't open my browser window so wide :D

Keep up the great work!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  18. Hourences

Hourences New Member

While a site like this most important aspect is the actual content it may still look a bit nice :)
    I like the old look more too because I get confused a little by the new one. In the old one you had a much clearer idea and distinction between the top bar, the side bars, the news area itself etc. You could better see what was what and where everything was while now also because of the background image you see 1 background img and lots of links and text everywhere but it all looks the same. My eyes are loosing track of the different elements, its harder to see something. At the bottom where theres no background img anymore the situation is a lot better already for me.
    Maybe give us an option to pick no background img or something extremely neutral ? Or make the top bar and side bars darker ? so the news background is lighter than the things around it ?
    Its basically all the same looking + a bg img thats making it more confusing + it appears more template and less pro to some people because you have less unique elements, Its all made with just square table/"whatever they are named stuff" while before you had those curvy things near the logo + a random unreal pic + other kinds of "painted" imgs to make the frames/tables/whatever look nicer. Now its just a coded square and thats it. Which is more default and template like.
    If you get what I mean :)

19. TriDane

TriDane New Member

I doesn't take me or thousands of other web developers any longer to script correctly. It would actually take me longer to script incorrectly because I would have to think about doing it wrong....

...very poor excuse and its highlighted even more by the amateurish design.

20. Destructive-Fly

Destructive-Fly New Member

Well actually what you think is crap is actually sloppy coding. Most things you might not understand have to be moved from HTML -> CSS. Also see the above post with the a href stuff in it. Another thing: also pick between <br> or </ br>. I saw them both several times, while </ br> is more correct than <br>.