New Gaming Computer Challenge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kou

Augmentations > You
I was thinking about how I need a new computer and how I have exactly $1k to spend when I realized how much that sounds like the parameters for a competition. So here I am with my challenge to the OT Crowd. This could fall flat on its face, but I think people are competitive enough and I'd really like to see a lot of different ideas, so I'm going to try it.

The Challenge: Build the best gaming computer possible from scratch spending only as much as $1000.

Details: The scope of this question contains only the actual computer itself and not any peripherals/monitors, though peripherals and monitors will count if included. For instance, a suggestion including only the base will be just as eligible as one that includes peripherals. Assume that this computer is to be used solely as a gaming rig. Ignore air resistance (and tax).

The winner will be based on public opinion. The results will ultimately influence my decision as to what I'm going to buy, but that is immaterial. If you want to participate, just post your suggestion (include pictures if that revs your engine). Be sure to give links to the offers on parts to verify cost. You can post multiple suggestions (up to three).

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
If I were you, I'd wait until later this year, when the Nehalem Cores come out from Intel and pretty much thoroughly trash anything they have out now.

That said, I'm a master at building PCs for $1000, having done so with my current rig last September, and it can easily play Assassin's Creed.

So, if you MUST build now...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
$189.99

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$149.99
(Be careful if you're using IDE drives with this mobo - it only supports two devices max. SATA Burners are pretty cheap though - you can easily get one for $25 if you have two IDE hard drives. If you have a SATA system, on the other hand, completely ignore this :))

RAM: OCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2T800C44GK - Retail
$116.99 ($86.99 after mail-in rebate)

Videocard:XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$229.99

Soundcard:Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail
$135.99

PSU: Rosewill RX750-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail
$99.99

Case:NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$79.99 ($59.99 after Mail-in Rebate)

GRAND TOTAL: $1,002.93
AFTER REBATES: $952.93

EDIT:
As Angel_Mapper said, do tell us if there's anything you can or plan to reuse. That money on the soundcard, for example, could definitely be used to beef up a little more elsewhere. :)

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
While I would ignore the Nehalem chips (server chips being released late 2008, desktops in early 09), since six months is something of an eternity when you're ready to build, I would wait a month or so until the new ATI and NVIDIA gfx cards are unveiled as they may prove themselves to be of some actual worth above what the 9 series did.

~Jason

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
EDIT: [/B]As Angel_Mapper said, do tell us if there's anything you can or plan to reuse. That money on the soundcard, for example, could definitely be used to beef up a little more elsewhere. :)

Thats the clincher, what does he plan to reuse? If its nothing then there are some key components missing from your build that would raise the price above 1k.

Also, does that build include S&H and tax? I built a $600+ computer for my pop and after S&H and tax it put it over $700.

You can go to a lower clocked processor and overclock it. That'll save a few dollars.

I'd also look at a PSU with a single 12v rail. It runs more efficient but isn't necessary really.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Thats the clincher, what does he plan to reuse? If its nothing then there are some key components missing from your build that would raise the price above 1k.
Hard drives, basically. We were told to ignore peripherals such as Monitor, Keyboards, etc. If the soundcard is discounted, then a 750 GB SATA drive could be easily gotten for roughly the same price, so it depends more or less on what's being reused and what's not. :p

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
If I were to build a computer for myself today it'd probably look like this. Except with an added raptor or two... it's not terribly far from my current one anyways. Just kind of going to follow Dark Pulse's format here:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$179.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
$189.99

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$98.99

Rosewill RX750-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V TUV, FCC, UL, CE, RoHS - Retail
$99.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
$90.99

XFX PVT88PYSF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$159.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$79.99

Total: $899.93 (not including s&h)

Cons:
Motherboard needs BIOS update for full support of the E8400, but still works out of the box apparently.
Motherboard is PCI-Express 1.0, meaning you'll probably need a new one the day 1.0 is phased out with 3.0 and you want a new video card.
X-fi requires Creative's ALchemy drivers (which are still relatively new) to support EAX in Vista games.
No CD-drive or peripherals
None of these are biggies in my opinion.
Pros:
$809.93 after all mail-in rebates
Laughs at Vista and pretty much everything but Crysis
SLI-ready if you want to make Crysis eat it

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Cons:

Motherboard is PCI-Express 1.0, meaning you'll probably need a new one the day 1.0 is phased out with 3.0 and you want a new video card.

No CD-drive or peripherals

You can get a dvd/cd burner combo for $20-$40 these days. Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153 - $26.99

As for PCI-E 1.0, its still perfectly fine and will probably last a few years still. None of the current gen add-in cards utilize its full potential. Even if the cards could max out the bandwidth I doubt current software is anywhere near capable of putting that kind of load on the add-in card.

GPU's will reach that limit first obviously and they still have a little ways to go. So I wouldn't worry about that.

If you're willing to spend $180 on a motherboard then maybe you could shave $20 off something else, put it into a motherboard and get this, or something similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089

That uses Intel's newer X38 chip which does support PCI-E 2.0.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What do you think of quad core versus dual core ? I had a look in computer magazine's special issue last month and they advised quad core for building a decent desktop.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Quad Core will help if there's lots of 3D Modelling or Video Editing, etc. That stuff usually takes advantage of multicore.

Few games and even fewer "regular" apps currently do. Thus, Dual is probably the best compromise for speed and price, as most Quadcore CPUs are still well in the $225+ range.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
If you're willing to spend $180 on a motherboard then maybe you could shave $20 off something else, put it into a motherboard and get this, or something similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089.
I just recommended the motherboard almost solely on the fact I own it and love the features, the BIOS, almost everything about it except the passive cooling... which is nothing some fun modding didn't fix. I really enjoy the eSATA too because my friends and I are always sharing music and junk around with our external drives.

What do you think of quad core versus dual core ? I had a look in computer magazine's special issue last month and they advised quad core for building a decent desktop.
Basically what Dark Pulse described. It's also very much for what they say it is: enthusiasts. They're great for multitasking. Even games like Crysis and UT3 that apparently scale for quadcores, there's still almost no performance improvement for the game. In my opinion, the only reason a gamer needs to look at a quadcore is if they want the luxury of having the ability to play games while running other CPU intensive applications. An example would be running folding at home and defragging all on hard drive C and simultaneously playing UT3 on hard drive D. UT3 would not experience any performance impact.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
So GTX 260 is launching tomorrow at $399 and is getting some pretty great reviews. I would keep that in mind.
Jesus those things are beastly. 512-bit width and 1 GB Memory for the 280?

It'll eat your wallet, but oh man...

EDIT:
Nvidia have also chosen not to support DirectX 10.1 in this product.
Further proof that Micro$hit fails it.

Last edited: