1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New DeathMatch map. First ever released map.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by combitz, May 20, 2004.

1. combitz

combitz Common sense is not that common

Finally finished my map for the mapping contest at Designers Core.

get it from my site at

http://www.combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

DM-Toys-Story.

screen shots available on site

enjoy.

feedback and crits welcome

2. combitz

:( Two days an no feedback. that bad eh.

I would like to get this map working with the ut2004 demo is there a way? it doesn't show the map in the lists?

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  3. XerkexexekreX

XerkexexekreX New Member

I'm downloading it now. I'm technically an unreal "noob" and I've spent more time with the editor than playing the game, but I'll at least let you know what I think of it aesthetically. I have no business judging gameplay yet, especially on the giant maps, which this appears to be.

Make sure your friend's son knows you made this; he'll think you're the coolest.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  4. combitz

If you enjoy playing it, I'm happy. If you don't enjoy it, just say why. I won't get offended if people don't like it if its just not thier thing. If you like parts and not others let me know and i'll look at making changes.

I have loads more ideas for it, but I don't have time right now.

I agree with you about UT, I don't really like it either, but the editor is great fun.

5. evenParity

evenParity Im going to be in the future

OK, first off I gotta say that it is a very nice looking map. Great work on the custom textures they really set the feel for the level, although some of the static meshes coulda used some more texturing. The major problem tho is there needs to be some serious optimization done here, dont know if you set up any zone or used antiportals, but i could see guys at almost any point in the level in rmode 1.
    But overall the look is very nice, not a DM player so im not sure how it really plays, seems being on the top floor gives you an advantage maybe.
    By the way I was working on a CTF map something like this, with a larger scale (players smaller) where did you get all the static meshes, or did you make them, and if so could i get some from you?
    PM me.

Nice work! :D

6. combitz

Cheers evenParity

No zones were used but I used 1 antiportal to seperate the two floors and one in each major ajoining wall. I just kept it really simple.

The static meshes were all custom made. It was all made in 100 hours, textures and meshes.

You can export the meshes from the "mylevel" package, just find the texture that goes with the mesh in its properties and export both and re-import in you level. I think you can do that?

7. GingerFlaps

GingerFlaps (sweet, moist & chewy)

I downloaded the map and tried it out. I was expecting something a bit cheap and nasty. Very impressive! Combitz you're a true professional.

I've just go into mapping, so I was hoping to pick up some useful hints and tips.
    I opened the map in UnrealEd and found a room off to one side. What's that for?

What software tools did you use other than UnrealEd?

8. combitz

The room at the side is just a build room for the stairs and the maze so I could cut them as one brush, this way you can build almost any shape you need with subract and addition geometry then I reset the brush and size it to cover all of the object I made, "rebuild all" and then intersect the brush. Its a simple trick and not really powerfull but usefull at times.

other software used, 3D studio max and photoshop.

It is a real house............

9. ...andrelax

...andrelax SkyBum

lovely looking map, well done! :)

10. _shank

_shank New Member

Nice concept...just that i think you should add both Geometic/Texture detail into the static meshes

11. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Little late for criticism now. ;)