1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NEW Cool Terrain for UT2k4

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Silver_Ibex, May 6, 2006.

1. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Because I think outside of the box :D

I new how to do this back last year and used it in UT99, it took me till around the new-years before I found the time to write a tutorial for others explaining how the idea worked.
    Then Real life got busy and I didn’t find the time to write another tutorial for UT2k4 till just now.

There are some other tricks you could pull to improve the looks and speed even more, but those would require access to UT2k4 engine source code.

There are some limitation workarounds you can do with simple mutators, for example the UT2k4 engine will not render anything that's more than about 60000 UUs away from the camera (the far clipping plane), to get around this scale limitation, you can use a “pintsize” style mutator to make players look smaller, and thus it makes the world look bigger, so viewable area is expanded and bigger mountains can be used.

The geometry used in Torlan was optimized for its size, since the maps small layout did not require optimization for a larger area, if Torlan was built for a larger area, it would have been optimized to fit it.

IMHO distance fog is only good for simulating slight atmospheric haze, games go overboard on its use when there are better ways to optimize levels, such as using the mesh actors “CullDistance” display setting instead, and wisely budgeting resources to fit the desired environment.

And for those that complain about the static lighting, IMHO this looks better then regular UT2k4 terrain lighting, which has only the most rudimentary polygonal ilumination capabilities. Fire a rocket across Torlan and watch as the ground polygons strobe and flicker trying to adjust to the passing light.

Terragen style textures can still be shadowed and lit with the use of projected textures, as is commonly done with tree shadows and vehicle headlights, see pic ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. Hanover_Fist

Hanover_Fist Hero

Han at your service. /salute

[​IMG]

3. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Looks amazing, I remember your UT99 tutorial :) Have you tried worldmachine? I bet it could make some really nice effects like eroded terrain with rivers and streams http://www.world-machine.com

4. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Yes :) world machine is nice for building new original landscapes, one can do some sweet effects with it :cool:

I checked out your web page, some nice stuff, surprised I hadn’t heard of your work sooner, those skyboxes are cool :tup:

Any chance you will do a terrain based map? You certainly have the Terragen skills and experience for it :D

5. dc

dc

uhhh wow. That kicks ass

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I think i'll check out world machine, looks great.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  7. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Not right, at all...

LMAO nice one :lol:

8. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

One idea I had was to use normal UT textures on the map terrain, export them and pick out colours for the base textures in terragen and maybe project some of the UT textures onto the terrain in Terragen using a plugin. That way the terrain texture would be higher detail and the skybox would still match. Do you think it would work?

9. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Yes that does work, I experimented some with roads and paths placed in Terragen that used Exported UT textures, just need a high res mask to avoid Jagged edges on small paths.

Using several textures on over lapping layers, each with high fractal randomness can be used to break up what would otherwise be repetitive tiling.

for those that dont already have it, the Plugin to add roads and such to terrain can be found here http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/sopack.html

If one used the unlit Terragen texture as a base layer for the terrain, and then regular standard UT ground texture layers on top of that for detailed areas around buildings, that could be one way to work around lack of close up detail in UT.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  10. Domox

Domox New Member

After leaving the UT engine for a few years and coming back anew, this is a good example of what the engine can do. I swear by worldmachine, i usually make a base tileable terrain in terragen and them modify it in worldmachine, then re-introduce it to terragen for the final texturing render. =]

11. Dean Avanti

Dean Avanti who watches the watchers

I would love to see more map examples made using this to see what can be done, looks like a lot of potential

12. Domox

Domox New Member

No Fog, No Detail maps, still working out an efficient work flow/method of making high detail terrains, one problem I am finding is with pre-lit textures you run into the issue of players not having the terrain shadows cast on the players (thusly darkening them) So players look like neon signs running on the terrains ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Right now waiting for Terragen to render a new skybox :)

Domox, that looks fun :D

For those that may have run into the same problem with DXT_tools that I have, while compressing giant textures (8192 x 8192) I have found that DDS Converter works better for such big files without crashing.
    http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412

14. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

How you guys get those details, like sand dunes on the first pic?
    And the white lines on your volcano looking terrain, Ibex?

Looks like it's been done from another program.

By the way, i still can't take multiple renders of my terrain, it is indeed a 257 terrain and i followed your instructions, but just then when i set the zoom the way you told me to, it was wayyy to close. And everytime i change the camera setting it changes the camera heading for no reason. I guess i'll do it the 'picaso' way and do my best.

Getting a registred version of terragen would be the best, but seriously, they are coming with terragen 2 and i don't feel like paying $99 just for making "uber cool" terrains for UT, i don't have problems for making skyboxes since 960X960 is quite enough, i just need to resize it in photoshop then.

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  15. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

for the camera, make sure it is set to "Orthographic" and the view zoom width to 128, you need to set the location for both the camera.... and also the Target to the same location.

When setting these, make sure you are using "Terrain units" and not "Metres" this setting can be seen at the top of the "Rendering Control" window

As for ground FX Check out these premade suface maps and tutorials ;)

http://www.timster.net/terragenasart/site/giancarlo.html

http://www.timster.net/terragenasart/site/jenc.html

http://www.ashundar.com/list.php?c=worldf

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Well here's the bug, thanks.

17. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Pics of two test levels that use the same terrain height map “Alpine Paradise” that is by Ryan LeFevre, downloaded from his site. .

Everything in the pics is part of the terrain, that mountain range is climbable and to scale, and only a small fraction of the total map.
    the last pic shows just how big the terrain is in the editor :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  18. Dean Avanti

Dean Avanti who watches the watchers

wow that's a big map, we could do with a bunch of these for download, different settings environments etc. anyone tried that worldbuilder yet, would be interesting to see that one as well.

19. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Amazing terrain texture, what prog. you used this time?

20. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member