1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New Concept Vehicle

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by Twrecks, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandeloreon1984

Dandeloreon1984 CXP Director

umm... utxmp will allow cabs, so you know, just wait and see it ;) but you will/should reimport everything.

2. [GDC]Faust

[GDC]Faust Goblin Hunter

Code:
    		if (VehicleType?)
    		{
    			if (InStr(VehicleType, ".") >= 0 )
    			{
    				i = InStr(VehicleType, ".");
    				SVehicleType = Left(VehicleType,i) $ ".S" $ Mid(VehicleType,i+1);
    				KVehicleType = VehicleType;
    			} else 
    			{
    				SVehicleType = "Vehicles.S"$VehicleType;
    				KVehicleType = "Vehicles."$VehicleType;
    			}
    		}
    My interpretation of this text would be, that the you named your vehicle wrong. I looked in your code and yours is a SVehicle. Svehicles, though, always begin with an "S" b4 the real name. So you should just rename the class to "SThawk" and everything should be fine! :D

3. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

Yea Dandelorean, I'm looking forward to UTXMP. Hopefully I'll have a Vehicle pack ready by the time it gets released... or not. I move pretty slow :p

I need to add a driver turret for that "Out of window" view, and some kind of ALT Fire (I was going to do the Noxious Gas thing). Well see what works, eh.

Thanks Faust, I'll try that SThawk, prolly be next weekend, or two, or... nm.
    I'll be back :tup:

4. takwu

takwu cXp coder TakĀ®

Twrecks, to use the VehicleFactory for custom vehicles, you need to prefix the name with the package name and a dot. Use "Twecks.Thawk"

For an exmaple, open XMP-cXp-valleyofthedead to see how Phalanx used the custom vehicles from cXp.u ;)

It's getting late, so I have to try your new car later. It sounds great! Keep it up dude.

5. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

Very nice. A little bit of criticism first though, if thats ok with you.

First of all, the Thawk seems to get damaged very easily by going up bumps and suchlike. Try going up the little bump around each base at a decent speed.
    Second, would it be possible for it to be a little more "stuntable"? I know this means changing the physics somewhat. If it makes the thing roll like a harby, don't bother, but it might make the driving a little more fun.
    And maybe, just maybe, a little faster? Probably more acceleration would do the trick. If that's a coder's nightmare, then don't listen to me ;)

What I did like:
    Sound effects (especially screeching tires :D)
    Wheelies (boost at low speed)
    Easy to handle.

Hope that helps, and many thanks for continuing to make original content for the game we all love so much :tup:

6. Twrecks

Thanks takwu! 'Twrecks.Thawk' worked :tup:

Dutch_Gecko:
    Damage from over compressing the front is minimal, typically only a few points. Not really a code thing, just how XMP handles collisions. Stiffing the suspension prevents this but it makes the Thawk very bouncy/uncontrollable. I prefer the "softer" suspension for handling reasons. Believe me, I played with the various variables considerably to achieve what I felt was best IMO.
    As far as "stuntable", er... kinda had to sacrifice that for handling, they are more dependant than one would think. I wanted to have the "handbrake" skid ala the Raptor, but to get the "lean" while cornering had to forgo that being as reactive.
    In regards to acceleration, I geared the Thawk down some as it would originally easily get to 2500 really fast (XMP speed limit) so in order to get the Sprint to work had to scale it back. It still will out run a Raptor, I think (someone test this out).
    I'll be adding a "Burnout" function soon. It will swing the ass-end around based on the steering if no throttle (forward or back) is applied. I might make this active "in air" as well for that Dirt Bike feel. Just watch out when you land :p.
    Burnouts on the ground will have skid marks and tire squeal, not so if in the air (of course).

I need some team skins as well... just a Beta for now :D

7. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

I'll take your word for it :D
    Keep up the good work.

8. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

My stupid opinion:
    Nice model, can't wait to see a skin on it.
    I at first thought it had too much health for a bike, but I think the fact that you lose points noseplowing everytime you land kinda balances that. :D
    I like the bionic boost sound effect.
    I'm not so thrilled with the engine sound, repeats every 3(?) secs.
    It doesn't really FEEL faster than a Raptor, but I haven't run a stopwatch.
    And I'm incredibly pissed that you can't drive through the arti node!
    What kind of damage do you think this will inflict on other players if they get run over? Maybe that should hurt the bike too, being smaller than the other vehicles.

9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

Twrecks got an idea for the excaust looking ports on the sides of the bike

smogg emittors ;) like gass/smoke hybrid :)

10. Twrecks

flamethrowers?

Actually, I was playing with the poison gas thang :)
    mb I'll try both...

11. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

That's the gears changing. The raptor does that too.

12. GotBeer?

No, I think that's different, unless the bike is constantly changing gears. Driving in a straight line, it keeps repeating the same sound over and over. It sounds more like Twrecks only had a 3 sec sound clip of a bike revving up, and stuck it on an endless loop. And sorry to sound so critical T, especially since I don't know the first thing about map/vehicle making myself.

13. Twrecks

It's actually a 1.33 second loop... times 3 for 4 seconds of audio.
    It does sound like it's changing gears, I'll try to smooth it out :tup:

And with the gear changes it gets annoying... revving up/down, up/down, etc. Even in a gear it has the effect. Finding a good sound clip is hard, finding bad clips is way to easy (I sorted through over a hundred).
    Making vehicles is not for the feignt of heart or A.D.D.

14. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

You could make your own. Sit next to a motorway for half an hour or so :D

15. GotBeer?

1.33 secs, 3 secs, what's it really mean except that I can't keep time?

16. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

Well, I mucked about with it again and I see what you mean GotBeer. Another question, which may again be very difficult to implement, in which case you shouldn't listen:
    Would it be possible that when you accelerate from rest, that the nose comes up just a little? This would allow you to get over little bumps without damaging the vehicle for example. It won't be used a lot, granted, but it helps if the thing's only got 2 hitpoints left.

17. takwu

takwu cXp coder TakĀ®

it's called a wheelie! :)

While it can be done, it'd be easier (for the coder) to do it only with the boost. It can be added as an extra condition at the boost, like: if your speed is less than 10, and you boost, you pop a wheelie! yeeehawww

18. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

yeah and have it blow smog and fire when that happens ;)

19. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

I already can wheelie :lol: its just that the result is going ridiculously fast. Which you dont want to do with vehicle that has 2HP in front of the node ;)

20. GotBeer?

*bump*

Any more progress on this thing? Maybe a skin with flames painted on the side of the bike?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.