New Concept Vehicle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Code name: "Stryker"
Based on the US Piranha/Stryker APC.
Driver Primary: "get in the vehicle!"
Driver Secondary: Smoke Grenade Launcher, just the black stuff.
Gunner Pimary: Assault Cannon, 3x fire rate of Sniper Rifle, 1/2 damage/rnd.
Gunner Secondary: Zoom (duh)
Speed/Damage: Equal to Harbinger
Purpose: Troop transport. Upto 4 players.
Information: Players can exchange fire outside vehicle (like riding on top)
Driver enters from front of vehicle. Gunner from bed.
Players "catch a ride" by either jumping into bed or running in from behind.

Concept.jpg

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
It's either that or the "Tomahawk"
Faster than a Raptor, laying down a noxious green cloud for Alt-fire, Wheelie on boost. Engine guns on primary (Vroom)

Tomahawk.jpg

I'm definately making a vehicle, or two. The "Stryker" is a photoshoped pic of the Piranha I found on the web.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
cool

Are you able to make vehicles like these for say .... Unreal 2 ---> if so would you? given concepts and designs ?

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
These are for XMP.
I've dabbled in code, models and skinning, so want to try my hand at Vehicles. Most of the code is already in place for a Cut-n-Paste artist like myself. Figured I'd post some ideas here for feedback as to what ppl like.
I don't suppose you've played my map: XMP-Demilune_L7 ?
I'm working on another map ATM and need some extra vehicles as it will be a 4 node affair with 8 artifacts. No flying vehicles for now, maybe next time...

Dangler

~LXG~
Jan 20, 2001
Bellevue, WA.
Visit site
I think i played the first beta, I'm dloading this one now, not sure if i remember which one it was, got all the maps i could find awhile back, tried with some freinds, some didn't work on the server not sure if this was one of em.
Keeping maps commin keeps XMP alive :tup:

WulfMan

XMP Beta Tester
Feb 1, 2004
long as it doesn't handle and bounce like the harbi i'd be down for that idea :)

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Bleh :( .....I'll go work on some ideas for some vehicles and come back later

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
Twrecks said:
Code name: "Stryker"
Based on the US Piranha/Stryker APC.
Driver Primary: "get in the vehicle!"
Driver Secondary: Smoke Grenade Launcher, just the black stuff.
Gunner Pimary: Assault Cannon, 3x fire rate of Sniper Rifle, 1/2 damage/rnd.
Gunner Secondary: Zoom (duh)
Speed/Damage: Equal to Harbinger
Purpose: Troop transport. Upto 4 players.
Information: Players can exchange fire outside vehicle (like riding on top)
Driver enters from front of vehicle. Gunner from bed.
Players "catch a ride" by either jumping into bed or running in from behind.

Thats too overpowered compared to the other vehicles.

I would suggest changing the gun to something like a grenade launcher with a slightly faster rate of fire and unlimited ammo. Make the primary fire something like the rangers grenades with a larger radius (Please don't use frag or gas grenades) and the alt fire could be smoke grenades.

Then I would change the drivers primary to a horn and the alt fire to "Get in the vehicle" like the other XMP vehicles.

All in all I think there is a need for a team carrier in XMP. Nice job.

Last edited:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
with power there should be something to balance it out....still a good concept

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
XMP Vehicle tutorial:

I'm writing this not as a know how, but as a how to know tutorial on understanding Vehicles in XMP to create my own Concept vehicles for the game. XMP has 3 vehicles to build on, these are the Juggernaut, Harbinger and Raptor. It's good to make something that will fit into the mix so examining the attributes of each and their construction is important. Not only physical construction but also the code that makes them work.

Attachments

• XMPvehicles.jpg
    XMPvehicles.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 242

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Under the hood:

XMP vehicles vary from UT2004 vehicles in many ways, even without the editor typing "rmode 1" in the consol makes the game viewport wireframe and each color represents a different kind of brush. As you see, XMP and UT2004 are not the same. Oh yea, to return to normal, type "rmode 5". XMP vehicles appear to be karma actors with proxy meshes attached. UT2004 vehicles appear to be wholey karma actors so I will guess they have animations and even more Karma physics. In the case of the 2K4 tank, scrolling textures to represent tread movement. Until 2K4 goes gold, we have only the UT2K3 Bulldog to base any other assumptions on.

Attachments

• U2XMPwire.jpg
    U2XMPwire.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 184
  • UT2K4wire.jpg
    UT2K4wire.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 138

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
The beggining:

To start, everyone has ideas. Best to start with your own so you have some incentive to finish your project. For me I have 2 distinct vehicles I'd like to create. First is a troop transport, something the can carry a small team of players quickly into enemy territory and hopefully extract some artifacts and make a clean return to base. In RealLife(tm) these are called Armored Personell Carriers, or APC's for short. The inspiration for my design comes from the US army Piranah or "Stryker". Second vehicle is a Motorcycle, but it needs to be unique and nothing I can imagine comes close to the Dodge "Tomahawk". Surfing the web I found enough pictures to get modelling. The APC I editted to appear more like I hope my final product will appear. We'll leave the Tomahawk picture alone for now.

Attachments

• Concept.jpg
    Concept.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Tomahawk.jpg
    Tomahawk.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 55

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Balance of Power:

Before we start modelling all the pieces that will make our vehicle lets stop and think how it will fit into the game. It's bad to make a unstoppable force or industructable foe, afterall the enemy might get their hands on one. Any vehicle has 4 factors to consider. 1st, How fast does it move? The primary function of a vehicle is transporting a player from point A to point B, or atleast attempt the journey. The speed at which a vehicle can accelerate, the top speed and how quickly it stops are important Physics to consider. In XMP we also have a "boost" which must be addressed. 2nd, How many can the vehicle transport? Simple enough to figure out, you decide. 3rd How much damage can the vehicle sustain? These are commonly refered to as "Hit Points" or "Armor". Last, Armorment or Weapons. What unique weapons are native to the vehicle? these can be any number of things from a honking horn to multiple warhead launchers. Determining these factors will help form the models to represent their abilities and characteristics. The sum of all these four should equal the sum of any other vehicle in the game to preserve gameplay equality.

Attachments

• BALANCE.jpg
    BALANCE.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 88

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Pic and choose:

Well APC's aren't super fast, but they are faster than tanks, so the Stryker will probably end up on par with the Harbinger for both speed and armor. The Stryker will also be designed to allow upto four players to ride in the bed of the vehicle, open to exchange fire with their surroundings comprable to being in the back of a pick-up truck. For my Stryker I have settled on a honking horn, smoke screen combo for the driver, and a rapid fire sniper rifle with an alt-fire zoom for the gunner. The damage will be lowered per round to prevent the gunner from dominating the field. The Tomahawk will be both lighter and faster than the Raptor and will carry no projectile weapons and be a single player vehicle. The Tomahawk will have only a front wheel break for primary fire, allowing for quick stops and perhaps some stunts, and a noxious smoke trail for alt-fire, It's speed being the real threat.

Attachments

• Sload.jpg
    Sload.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Tload.jpg
    Tload.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.