1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Luminuis, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Luminuis

Luminuis Herald of the Newest Dawn

It's a bit of a step down, a eMachines Celeron 2.7ghz with 256mbs of Ram and an Integrated chip, but it's a fixer-upper I guess, and it's at least in good working order.

Meh, I'm used to my HP AMD XP2400+ with 512mbs of Ram and a nVidia GF4. Putting the GF4 in the new eMachine box anyways, that and some more RAM ought to make it round out about right. Celeron is hurting my soul a bit, but I suppose I'll live.

This does mean the HP's Mobo is going in my old Gateway case, hopefully, and that with a new HDD or two and a Graphics card, it'll be my full-time computer.

However, for an extra $20, I got a Lexmark X1100 All-in-One. This is by far the most impressive thing about my new computer. Being that it IS an all in one, it's a flatbed horizontal 8.5x11 high quality scanner coupled with a typical high-quality Lexmark Color Inkjet fully capable of photo printing with Photo Ink on Photo Paper.

Prints pretty quick for an Inkjet too, printed the test page in about 15-20 seconds, and that's a full page of black and white and color in high quality. I'm impressed.

2. Original9

Original9 Deleted.

I got a Lexmark All in one too. Kicks some serious ass. :D

3. thewalkingman

thewalkingman ssssssssssss bugger!

does it have an agp slot?

4. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

OMFG you bought an eMachine®!

Nooooooo!!! :tdown:

What'd you buy this one for anyway?

5. Luminuis

omgwtf I didn't buy it.

My parents did. **** if I care what it is, it's a comp that works that I got for FREE.

Anyways, yeah, I got it because the HP died 5 times in one year of ownership, and besides Gateway/Dell, there's no other option besides HP than eMachines.

Well, outside of Alienware or building your own.

And yeah, it should have an AGP slot. If not, I'll just have to wait until I get the gateway set up with the HP's motherboard and just upgrade it.

6. Luminuis

Oh, Addendum, my ram in the new comp is PC2700, niftily enough, $56 on Pricewatch for 512mbs. I think I'll have a gig of ram soon.

7. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

Ah, you left out that part about getting it for free.
    So if you did get it for free, then eMachines® are just fine. :D

8. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Can't you get a Fujitsu-Siemens machine in your area ? One must be careful with eMachines as they sometimes sell refurbs as if they were new or computers that look cool on paper but don't perform well. Is your Celeron a scaled-down P3 or P2 ?

9. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

I have an emachines Celeron 1GHz around that works alright.

10. tool

tool BuFs #1 mom

Think of a celeron as a CPU that was meant to do wordpad and wordpad only pretty much, and that is how useful they are.

11. GeneticFreak

GeneticFreak evolves and survives

congrats for the new PC, Lenix :tup:

theres no upgrade thats a bad upgrade as long as it's actually an upgrade :tup:

12. Saito

Saito Banned

You might get ****ed on the agp slot. Depending on the chipset of the mobo it might only be agp 4x, and not 8x like current cards are. I built my comp myself. My wife has a sony that she bought recently. Specs are higher than that emachine, and when I put my old vid card in it I realized it was only agp 4x. Granted its not that big of a deal but I would check into it if I was you. ;)