1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New and Improved UT3 UI

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Okay, I admit it. I made the post title slightly misleading on purpose. With the help of an "Anonymous Donor", I have created what may be the "best you can get" out of the current menu system. I have removed the industrial level behind the menu and replaced areas where it was visible with a static gray image. This makes the menu perform MUCH better in almost every way.

There are a few little niggles, however. First, the Character Customization screen has your character standing in black space. If you loved the level surrounding them, you'll hate what I have done. Second, the menu still loads a map, therefore the initial load time, while reduced, is still there. In other words, don't count on the menu just immediately popping up. It is still widely dependent upon your resolution/detail settings. Finally, there are no fancy moving backgrounds. I'm sure you will miss them greatly.

Pick up the map file over at BeyondUnreal Fileworks (100kb ZIP) and let us know what you think.

IMPORTANT NOTE: BACKUP YOUR EXISTING UTFrontEnd.ut3 FILE BEFORE COPYING THIS FILE OVER. The file must be placed in Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Maps.

2. ShredPrince

ShredPrince New Member

You racist:p

3. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Flame warning!

4. pinnacle

pinnacle New Member

I don't mind waiting for a few extra seconds for the menu to load. The functionality is what matters to me most and that's what needs fixing.

This is pretty good though... I'm using it from now on.

5. mahe

mahe New Member

Screenshots would be nice :)

6. «BuA»Lurker_71

«BuA»Lurker_71 Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg

You posted this on the Epic forums, but I didn't see anything in either post regarding mouse lag. How does this deal with mouse lag?

7. Sir_Brizz

Typically the mouse lag is caused by framerate choppiness due to the map behind the menu.

8. «BuA»Lurker_71

«BuA»Lurker_71 Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg

So it doesn't do anything to fix the in-game mouse lag then?

A solution to that was offered up on the «BuA» forums by haslo:

I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will later today...

EDIT: Here's the short of it, for those who don't want to read the whole thing:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. Sir_Brizz

Yeah not the in-game mouse lag, the in-menu mouse lag.

10. Molgan

Molgan T-minus whenever

A m8 made a menu background with our clan logo, so start modifying your bg's and lets have a "wallpaper-thread". ^^ Still don't understand what went on in the head of the guy who thought "hey, instead of a animated gif, why not have a 60Mb generic map that has to load every time someone quits to menu lololol".

11. Deapblade

Deapblade New Member

Maybe he thought most of our computers could easily handle that? In my case he was right, the menu works great here.

12. MeepZero

MeepZero ph34r t3h m33p

Wait...Who made this? Can we get a pic of it or something? I know you explained it, but a picutre is worth far more than simple text.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  13. Sir_Brizz

Actually, a screenshot won't really tell you anything because it graphically and functionally is the same as the old menu system. The only difference is that the enormous level behind it is gone and replaced with a tiny level and there is no flyby or massive blurring. The flyby areas were replaced with a gray image that is essentially a screenshot of the flyby, so a screenshot of the menu would appear to be the same as the old menu system.

14. MeepZero

MeepZero ph34r t3h m33p

Oh..well thats nifty :)

15. Brits_Hit

Brits_Hit Flak Monkey

Nice one, Brizz.

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Any ideas why the menu loading time is so long? I always thought it was because of the background level. I also didn't doubted that the same map was using all the different faction backgrounds.

Sigh.

17. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I thought about doing this but never bothered trying. Great idea, IMO. It's baffling to think Epic believes loading the main menu for ten seconds is a normal thing. Even on my system (E6850, 8800GT, 2 GB memory) it takes a fair few seconds -- enough to make it annoying.

However, this still doesn't fix the fact that the UI navigation sucks a fat one. The "Main Menu" button doesn't always go to the main menu. :p

18. RoadKillGrill

RoadKillGrill Got Lead?

19. Sir_Brizz

The remaining loading time on my map is simply the time it takes to load the smallest level. It depends on your detail settings and resolution settings, even though there are no textures to load and no lighting to calculate...

And all the faction areas WERE in the same map. :) You had to load them all whether you used those areas or not.

20. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Finally a quicker way to fire up UT3! Thanks here :)