1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Never realized features in Unreal

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Smirftsch, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Smirftsch

Smirftsch New Member

unreal seems to have a bunch of never finished features and weapons.

So like shadows for the players. In some early preview epic released screenshots in which the players have shadows.

Footsteps - still working on it, mailed some guy from epic for it...

quadshot - sure :)

twirling the automag - only needs to be activated with console command

playing a nali - finished scripts but not the grafix finished (ull see never a nali with a gun in its hand) - but usable with changing in the ini

decals - not native in unreal but somehow as not activateable feature in ugold ?

Any other things i don't know ?

Tell me what you know.

PS: any scripter here who could make a "duckjump" and crouching through half heighted tunnels like in halflife ? (these are the only thing i miss in Unreal...)

2. Techno JF

Techno JF He Who Has Powerful Words

I heard a lot of stuff from Usaar33 about this. In particular, when he created OldSkool Amp'd, he tried to adress many of these things. He said that he made a finished version of the Quadshot and that he made a new Automag that uses the twirling animation. It's all pretty cool stuff that I think Epic wanted to do, but were pressed to do without since they were concerned about their original deadline.

There is only one other thing I can add to your list, Smirftsch. The code for the Squid was never finished. I heard that it sends several Accessed Nones to the log, but I guess it's okay since the main maps don't use it at all.

3. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Whats the command for twirling the automag? :)

The UG windows thing was ripped from UT, so they didn't have to completely recode it. They forgot to remove decal. :rolleyes: silly little programmers! :D

4. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

5. DRT-Maverick

Did you know that the Krall use the dice? :)

6. Daniel 'INFERNO' Winter

Daniel 'INFERNO' Winter New Member

Yeah, I'd love to know that console command for twirling the automags!

Other things they didn't finish include the hint system... :) for those genuinely newbiesh virgins...... :0

7. theBane

theBane New Member

the rifle has a scope, with isnt shown on the hud. u can, however, see it when u look at some1 else rifle or in behindview (although in behindview, ur body would be in the way)

8. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

heh, also seen in OSA :)

9. Smirftsch

Smirftsch New Member

what i mean with shadows is : [​IMG]

whats wrong here ?

yes, anyone out here will recognize the shadows; real time shadows, presented at comdex98 from creative, but WHERE IS IT ?
    thats what i meant with shadows...

10. Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard Indifferent

From the text file distributed with a small collection of Unreal screenshots in July '96:

11. DRT-Maverick

It must have eaten up a lot of CPU cycles to force Epic to remove that feature from the game. :hmm:
    It will most likely be in Unreal2 though! :)

12. Smirftsch

Smirftsch New Member

well; but the simple question is; how to reactivate it if it was still there; anyway as REALTIME shadows it was presented by creative at the comdex98, donno if it makes a differ; contacted creative....but they don't know where the code for it was lost; wasnt there a feature in which shadows for movers can be activated ? maybe there is such a feature for players too, but i only remember it crashed when using it, but not the command itself; pffffffffffffff.....these things makin me sad...but for those who wanna help me to fix this and finish the unfinished things should contact me; i'm workin on an "enhanced unreal mod" which means only a fnished unreal, with maybe some new weapons, and scripts in it (f.e. for snow and rain) and duckjumping, like in hl, and crouching through half heighted tunnels and everything i can't remember atm :)

13. DRT-Maverick

It would also have to be supported by 3dfx, since that's mainly what Unreal runs on.

14. Dr.Haggard

Dr.Haggard Indifferent

Smirftsch that is a most excellent and admirable idea ;)

15. Drevlin

Drevlin Uno

You know, there is a REASON why these things never made it into the final game... I'm not saying "dont do this" - all im saying is if you're gonna do it, do it well. Balance the new weapons, and if the shadow slows down, make them optional (or "turnoff-able:)

The real time shadows does look appealing though :)
    let me know if you figure out how to turn em on cuz that sure as hell would turn me on!

16. GerbilJammer

GerbilJammer Resident NOOb :D

i remember seeing my automag twirling in my unreal 1 game long ago...... but now i play it under UT with old skool.... and i havent seen it since way back when.... i think it was default bound to a key.... but i know i remember seeing the damn animation :)

17. alien8

alien8 Run, you magnificent bastard.

You might have seen it in RealCTF - they made use of those animations.

18. GerbilJammer

GerbilJammer Resident NOOb :D

hmmm im not so sure if it was real ctf or not.... i remember it being dm-Ariza .... on the lil walkway thingy over the water by the automag... i think i was idle ... i dunno im getting old and prolly talking out of ma butt :)

19. Drevlin

Drevlin Uno

Whatever happend to the real-time shadows?
    Anyone figured out how to turn em on?

20. Smirftsch

Smirftsch New Member

for the automag there is a command...something like twiriling or so...donno extactly atm; for the realtime shadows; i'm not sure they were ever added to the original version of unreal; it was presented at comdex98 by creative as own development for the new tnt2 card at this time; i contacted creative but the one i talked to couldnt find out what happened with it....