1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jackal, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Does anyone else watch this show? I think it's fantastic, especially the soundtrack. I only heard about it a few days ago and I've binged the first 6 episodes. I'm really glad they made this into a series and not a movie.

2. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

My wife and I cleared it in an evening. I guess you could say it kept our attention! Hopefully the second season will be treated just as well.

3. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Just wrapped up all 8 episodes. What a great show. I'm glad that I'm starting to see more money and development put into good, very high quality shows. Stranger Things and Mr.Robot are this years winners for me.

4. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look out for this.

5. Al

Al Reaper

No, but I'm going to. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

As we've recently got Netflix back I will have to have a look as I've been looking for something to watch.

7. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I'm usually indifferent to a lot of the Netflix shows my friends suggest, but Stranger Things was a complete delight. Highly recommend it to any fellow children of the 80s. It also will strike a chord with Steven King/Spielberg fans.

Jackal likes this.
  8. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

Loved the story and the characters. Even how crazy Winona Ryder can play her character.

Worth a watch even with the dismal "monster" design. My opinion.

9. Manticore

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look out for it.

10. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

Finished watching it -- fantastic and all-around really well done.

11. Manticore

Awesome.... I'll look it up.

12. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

Lol.

Jackal and Al like this.
  13. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

This show was nearly perfect, and I think that there are three main reasons it worked so well.

1) The tone. The show was able to feel like a lighthearted kid-driven movie (ie: ET, Goonies, etc.), a depressing, distressing look at what losing a child does to you (through the mom and the sheriff), AND have the creeping dread of uncertainty that a monster flick gives you (until the end, which is more actiony, and losing a lot of the terror). And it blends all of this into a consistent tone that feels both tenuous (you're not sure who might die), and yet inviting.

2) Characters talk to each other. Not all of the time, but characters in this show, when they learn new information, don't immediately HIDE the information from other characters. They may not always volunteer things (the kids tend to talk to the kids, the teenagers to the teenagers, etc.), but when they butt up against others, they talk. This means that the show doesn't revolve around people being dumb and doing everything on their own. This isn't the entire show, but as a general rule, people communicate like people, and not plot devices (and for a show with this many plot points, this is a big deal). And without spoiling things: Steve is the fucking best example of a show grappling with its characters, and using communication to really complicate things.

3) The acting. Holy crap. Wynona fucking KILLED it as a mother who is losing it, but stays in control for her children. The Sheriff manages to be both a loser who has given up and a total badass, through some very subtle acting. And the kids. Wow.

Honestly? I'm terrified of the second season. I'm afraid it will either become really explain-y, digging into HOW everything works, or it will devolve into bad twin-peaks ripoff land. The show as it stands was about a normal small town where something weird goes down, and people rally to deal with it. If things just keep getting weirder, it will become about a group of grizzled veterans fighting the paranormal, and will probably lose steam pretty quick. The explain-y thing is pretty obvious why it would suck.

Still, I hope I'm wrong and they can capture lightning in a bottle a second time.

Jackal likes this.
  14. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

All very well and thought out points. I could not agree more with you on this.

Vaskadar likes this.