Neighborhood Lan Trouble, Please Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BBuzz1

Mar 27, 2000
Visit site
Hey all. My friend down the street and I are trying to play Unreal Tournament together, and since both our connections suck so bad, we would really prefer not to have to search through some 3,000 servers to find the right one. I thought that we could make a direct connection using dial up networking, and then we could just play a Lan game, however, when I set up dial up networking to calls his house, all it would do is ring his phone until the answering machine came on. (His modem number and phone number are the same, so it's not that) If someone could please help us fix this problem or try something different, I would be very thankful. Thankx

BBuzz1

Mar 27, 2000
Visit site
Please

Please people, I saw that a hel of a lot of people had been viewing it, but still no replies, this thing is really starting to piss me off. Please help.

Do_Or_Die

Aug 1, 2000
You cannot setup a LAN game over a modem connection. In order to play a LAN game, you have to be on a LAN which you are not. And making a connection between you and your friend over a modem does not create a LAN. What you should do is connect to the internet and start the server. Then have your friend connect to the net and then give him your IP address which you can find by typing WINIPCFG in the Run box under the Start menu of Windows. Then your friend can select Open Location under the Multiplayer menu, type in your IP address into that box and then it should connect to you. Be aware though, that if you have a computer that isn't very fast (400 or less), chances are it won't be a very smooth connection. And if you're using a 56k or less modem speed, that can really affect your connection as well. But that's really the only way to do it. UT does not support direct connections over a modem (what you were trying to do).

BBuzz1

Mar 27, 2000
Visit site
Thanks

Ok, thanks much. I'll tell me friend that. Why do games no longer have direct modem connections, they used to not too long ago; Microsoft COmbat Flight SImulator, COmmand and Conquer, etc.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I'm with you CIDER

Very disappointed to see how many companies have dropped modem-to-modem connections. Lots of times I just want to game with my buds. LucasArts hasn't given up on M-to-M connections....yet, anyways.

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Boy have I been wandering for a while...

But to get back into things, Yes. You CAN play modem to modem. You must install and configure a dial-up server on the host machine. That dialup server must use TCP/IP as the networking protocol.
The calling person needs to allow the server to assign it an IP.. almost identical to using an avg *real* ISP..

For more windows help, hit F1.