UE1 - UT Need Texture Replace Utility

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

martidem

Aug 25, 2008
I'm making a map for the original UT (Game of the Year Edition), and I made a stupid mistake when importing a texture. I wanted to import the texture into package MyLevel, but instead I typed "MyLevel" in the Group and left the Package as "Botpack". The texture imported fine, and I was able to use in on the surfaces. However, those surfaces are now looking for the Botpack.MyLevel package, which doesn't exist, so the map won't load in either the game or in UnrealEd.

I tried to import the textures again and save Botpack.utx, but each time the game/editor loads it seems to ignore the MyLevel group and still errors out. Then I tried to import the textures, save the package under a new name, and rename it to Botpack.utx using Windows Explorer. Same problem. I cannot get this map to load in UnrealEd so that I can replace the textures.

I don't have a good backup of the map file that doesn't lose me many, many hours of work. Does anyone know of a way (or a utility) to change mass-replace textures outside of UnrealEd (or a different solution)?

Thanks!

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Open UED. Do not load in a level. Open botpack and revert it back to its original state. Make sure there is absolutely no more mylevel in botpack, and make sure that the texture you wish to use is in no other packages either. It must not exist at all.

Then, import that texture into Mylevel, using the exact same name.

Then, open your level. It should now be ok.

Textures in UE1 do not keep references to packages. They only remember the name of the texture itself, and use the first texture with that name. If that one happens to be in botpack, it will use that one.

And NEVER have a group called mylevel. All names must be super unique. Groups, packages, textures, none may share a name.

martidem

Aug 25, 2008
I tried what you suggested, but it's still not working. As it turns out, botpack.utx isn't supposed to exist at all, so I renamed it and then started up UnrealEd. I then imported the texture is question into MyLevel and opened my map. Here's the log:

Log: FactoryCreateBinary: Texture with TextureFactory (0 0 C:\UnrealTournament\Textures\trie5e.pcx)
Log: Imported Texture MyLevel.trie5e
Log: New File, Existing Package (Package MyLevel, Package DOM-PianoFactory)
Log: Failed import: Package Package Botpack.MyLevel (file ../System/Botpack.u)
Warning: Failed to load 'C:\UnrealTournament\Maps\DOM-PianoFactory.unr': Can't find Package in file 'Package Botpack.MyLevel'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find Package in file 'Package Botpack.MyLevel'

Is there any way to actually find the package reference inside the file and modify it there?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Ok, I just tried making a Botpack.MyLevel.trie5e texture in UT2k4 with success. I saved the file and all but when I opened it in UT's UED2.0, the program didnt load it because for some reason it wont load a group named 'MyLevel'. So, forget about doing it that way.

Then, I tried the simpliest way which is Importing a texture in UED2.0 named the exact same way (Botpack.MyLevel.trie5e) and it showed up as the MyLevel group and was loaded perfectly. Now, here's some steps on how you can fix it easier...

--Open UT's UED2.0.
--Go to the Texture Browser and import any or the same texture as Botpack.MyLevel.trie5e but DO NOT save it anywhere.
--Load/Open your map that has that texture.
--Find the texture that you placed in the map with the name Botpack.MyLevel.trie5e and select it.
--Then, right click on the selected texture to open the options menu and go to SelectSurfaces>MatchingTextures.
--Go to the Texture Browser and pick any other default texture that is not saved in the Botpack package in order to replace the one you had.
--Rebuild your map and then save.

I have made that mistake before but since I understand modding pretty well I figured out the solution in no time. Well, I hope that helps and GL.

martidem

Aug 25, 2008
I had tried that approach before, and I just tried it again. Nope. I get the exact same error in the log. Botpack.MyLevel exists (not saved) if I look at the texture dialog, but it's not finding it on the map load. I've even tried to put a MyLevel group and those textures into a different texture file that is being used by the map. Same error.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Ok, then lets do this differently.

Open your level in UED (whatever it takes, even if that makes you create the botpack.mylevel package again, just for now), then, File - Export - as T3d.

Then open that t3d export of your level in notepad, and do a search for "botpack.mylevel". Replace all references with a reference of which you are certain that it is valid (aka a path to a texture that most certainly exists). Save. Import that file again into a new file, without restarting UED!

Save the level as UNR file.

Close UED.

Remove the botpack utx you had made.

Open your level (the one you saved from the t3d)

martidem

Aug 25, 2008
Except that I can't open my map. Even with a Botpack.MyLevel (as a saved .utx file or merely imported while in UED, or with the Botpack.utx file only containing my texture or with my textures in a different .utx file that is currently being used by the map, or imported into the MyLevel package prior to opening the map, or by placing those textures into another map inside the MyLevel package and opening that map first). I get the same error in the log no matter what I try. So, I can't save my map in another form since UED never successfully opens it.

Is there any way to modify the texture reference outside UED? Like a mass-replace utility? Or if there's a convert-to-t3d utility, I could use that. Is there one? I've searched but couldn't find any.