Need recommendations on replacing 8800gt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well after having my 8800gt since November of '07, I figured it was time to replace it with something better. Having to disable dynamic shadows in Borderlands is such a shame. Budget isn't a concern as I plan to get something around Christmas time or after since prices will be down a bit. What i am mainly concerned about is

-If the videocard will bottle neck my processor and vice versa - processor is an AMD Phenom II x2 555 @ 3.2ghz

-A card that can handle a 600w power supply with a +3.3v @ 36A, and +12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4 both @ 18A

Looking preferably at Nvidia as ATI has not been kind to me.

Thanks everyone

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I can run shadows in borderlands just fine on my 8800GT :eek: I got everything maxed out except ambient occlusion and AA (which games with an outlining effect consistently seem to hate).
If I run it on my TV at it's native 1360x760, I can throw on AC, AA, and 16x AF and get solid 60, save maybe 500% burst launchers at point blank.

Have had my card for a while as well, would be nice with an upgrade. I do have to make compromises in some games. Starcraft2 was an odd example since I'd get great fps with everything maxed/on, I'd just get a ton of input lag. Even though the mouse wouldn't lag, there would be this 200ms delay between hovering over a unit and getting the circle around it.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I can run shadows in borderlands just fine on my 8800GT :eek: I got everything maxed out except ambient occlusion and AA (which games with an outlining effect consistently seem to hate).
If I run it on my TV at it's native 1360x760, I can throw on AC, AA, and 16x AF and get solid 60, save maybe 500% burst launchers at point blank.

Have had my card for a while as well, would be nice with an upgrade. I do have to make compromises in some games. Starcraft2 was an odd example since I'd get great fps with everything maxed/on, I'd just get a ton of input lag. Even though the mouse wouldn't lag, there would be this 200ms delay between hovering over a unit and getting the circle around it.

I tend to run games at 1680*1050 or 1920*1200. Borderlands the exception as smoke will lag me up fiercely so I have to lower to 1440*900. I could run lower but I am on LCD and anything below what I run at now looks like arse.