need help witha problem on my server (routing internet cable)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
Ok I have got cable broadband for my house, and want to route it through my server to the network. I have the 2 network cards as required. I plugged my cable modem (My modem is motorola sb5100) into the 100base nic and the 1000base to the network switch. +It recognises the connection and will connect to the internet. Then the problem occurs, After about 1-2mins there is a critical error on the server where the RPC service would terminate. This would result in a little box popping up from NT authroity/system (i think) and say save all work the system will reboot in 1min. If i remove the connection to the cable modem everything is fine, but if i leave it connected when the system is rebooting it gets stuck and i cant access it. I have also tried using the usb cable to create a connection to the modem, but if i uses this there are no crashes but the modem and the computer don't seem to communicate.

Now im completelt stuck as to what is causing this. Right now im temporily using my desktop to router the internet via ics. But i want to do it more better and use RRAS on the server and be able to use the dhcp scope i have setup.

Right as i speak downloading new updates for the server and looking for any new drivers/firmware upgrades for the modem.

The server is running windows 2003 enterprise Edtion
my desktop is using XP Pro SP2.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Sounds like a virus that exploits the security flaw in the RPC service. That shouldn't happen anymore after the update. Don't forget to scan for viruses and if you find one that installs a backdoor - as drastic as it sounds - consider a reinstall.

Last edited: