1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

need help with skinning in ut2k4

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by J-pea, Mar 24, 2004.

1. J-pea

J-pea New Member

Hey, I was just wondering how to make the skins change color when i change team, i'we made a cupple of skins myself but their color stays the same when i change team. I was ofcourse aware that this would happen, i just want to know how i can fix it ^^

-------------

regards - Jay

2. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

Well you have to make sure there are extra texture in the .UTX which are relevant to the team colours and jsut make sure they're named corectly! beena while since i did it, but i think the difference between blue and red was ending the texture name in _0 or _1!
    I'll check! Looks like i need to rehash half the old UT2003 team skins as it is!

3. BabyEater

BabyEater Master of Poppycockery

you are correct. the easiest way to do it is open up another skin in UEd and see the difference, and then just do the same thing for your own, but you'll need to do a red and blue body texture as well as the default.

4. J-pea

J-pea New Member

thanks, both of ya :D

I use Upaint (since i do skinning for ut2k4, i tested Upaint and it is just SO convinient :D). Is it the .utx files (in the texture folder) that are suppose to have _0_ or _1_ behind em? cause i checked some of the other skins (the standard ones) in that folder and they don't have any 0 or 1 is their name :eek:

sorry for being such a nub bout all o this :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  5. alien8

alien8 Run, you magnificent bastard.

Moved 'er on over...

6. BabyEater

i think it may actually just be the name of the texture files implanted inside the *.utx file, but I may be wrong. i'm also in the midst of doing this for the first time. :D

7. J-pea

J-pea New Member

:D good to know im not all alone when it comes to this strange new editor. i feel like some ape bashing rocks together hoping it'll turn into a wheel or sommit ;)

8. BabyEater

i know exactly what you mean. i really understood when I was still opening UnrealEd to export a texture, Photoshop to edit, UnrealEd again to import it and save it, and the game to view it.

Then I figured out where Upaint was hiding. ::shakes head:: Ook ook.

9. J-pea

J-pea New Member

to me it would seem that in Upaint one can only open the .upp files, and when ur done with a skin u have to "export to unreal" to use it, this is fine but i don't get how i can import a model from unreal.. if i wasn't as lazy as i am i'd just find a toturial but then again, i am as lazy as i am (obviussly) :)

10. _Dark_Rusty_

_Dark_Rusty_ to protect & severe

its indeed the textures in the utx file that need the _1 or _0. also it only works on the body texture, not heads (not 100% sure).
    eg- for gorge it would be something like-
    normal- JuggMaleABodyA
    red- JuggMaleABodyA_0
    blue- JuggMaleABodyA_1

& they are all in the same utx file, in this case, playerskins.utx

11. J-pea

J-pea New Member

great! Thanks a bunch!

12. Draco 84

Draco 84 Mapper/Skinner...UnrealAholic

Well since we have such knowledgeable people in here I figure this is a great place to post my question.
    When I "Export to Unreal" through UPaint all that shows up in the game is the portrait but with no model or skin for that matter. If I try to select that character, the model that loads is the (presumably) default Jakob. Anybody have anything on this?

13. J-pea

J-pea New Member

i dunno whats wrong but heres what i do:

I open u paint, make a skin on some model, save it as a new model. Now i take Export to unreal, run ut2k4 and mine work, u might allso just get a slight save error, that means the skin wont work at all so make sure u save every skin before u edit it ^^

14. ZeroEx[!]

ZeroEx[!] New Member

How does one make character models for Unreal Tournament 2004?
    I have been looking for all the editing files necessary to create mods..
    Can someone please send me a list of editing tools apart from Unreal Editor?

Thank you very much if you do post some of the necessary editing tool ^^

15. J-pea

J-pea New Member

Um, maya comes with the game, the entire game is made in maya, i think that should do the trick :D

16. {MåçE}

{MåçE} ma$e is back!!??

maya doesnt come with the game.. maya PLE comes with it ;)

that'd be pretty sweet though, if my $40 game came with a full version of maya :D i think a full license for maya unlimited 5.0 is somewhere around $8k

17. J-pea

J-pea New Member

maya 5.0 unlimited is 30k in norway, then again 10 norwegian "k" is about 1k usd ^^

18. jesterspawn

jesterspawn New Member

You can also create models in Lightwave and get them into UT pretty easily. My team is using Lightwave for all of the character models and the static meshes in the level.

The only catch with character models is that (as far as I know) you must take them into Maya or 3D Studio Max in order to export for use in the game. But it is working fine for me to build and texture the model in Lightwave (Photoshop for the textures) and then send them to Maya before I export for animation. The Photoshop/Lightwave combination makes previewing your textures pretty easy, though not quite as immediate as using UPaint. :)

19. J-pea

J-pea New Member

aha, is this "lightwave" freeware? cuz my bro got aya 5.0 for a birthday not very long ago (about 3 weeks i belive :p) so i can probably use his cop to export, ill need to get y hands on lightwave tho ^^

20. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

BTW J-Pea, in case you missed the skaarj thread in the other area there is a way to make the head skins change aswell! Add the _0 or _1 to the end of the face names like you would for the body and then add to the .pl file ",TeamFace=1" Basically what that means is Teamfaces are turned on so they'll change with the body! :) Dmaned usefull it is too!