Need for bright skins?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bright skins?

• no

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • yes

Votes: 22 31.4%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Bullet10k said:
Some of you arguing against brightskins are missing the point. Bskins make you faster to REACT, and trace your opponent. It's not just visible or not, it's how visible they are, and how fast you can react.
So what? Uniform lighting is the problem, glowsticks are not the solution. Why does my reaction time have to be .01s when everyone else's is .05 and without brightskins I'd be .04 with them at .08? Acquiring your target shouldn't be as easy as looking for a neo light over their head. We might as well have a mod that puts team symbols over everyone that flash and blink and move up and down in neon lights and colors. Would that make it "more fair" for you? :p
Let me put it this way: When your opponent is invisible (the ghostly white shimmer effect is still there), what makes it so hard to trace the player? Ofcourse they're visible, you can see their white shimmers, but what makes it so hard to shoot at the player as opposed to if their not invisible? Imagine what would happen if everyone was invisible as normal, we could still see the shimmers, but we won't react, trace, or shoot as good as if they were normal. Think about it...
WTF? Are you serious? The reason you can't see them is because 98% of their model is SEE THROUGH. If everyone was invisible, everyone would have the same visibility, 98%, and it wouldn't make any difference. Who cares how fast you acquire targets or how well you shoot? If everyone has the same level of visibility, then it could take 5 minutes for all it mattered (besides the obvious effect on gameplay at that level). I'd say anything that makes it harder to snipe from long distances is a good thing.... But once again that is not a "pro" opinion.
And the thing about "it makes things easier to learn" or "it's so people don't have to learn it" is dumb, because like I said, the purpose of bskins is totally different, it's to balance the playing field, and make you react as fast as you can. Nothing to "learn" because even if you learned to see players, you'd still react, and trace players if you used bskins.
OMFG.... It's so you don't have to learn how to acquire targets. I suppose you would also say it should be as simple to snipe you in the head through a crack in a wall across the map as it would be to plaster you in the face with flak from 2 inches away...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Read the 3rd paragraph :\ (the best one)

Brizz said:
I suppose you would also say it should be as simple to snipe you in the head through a crack in a wall across the map as it would be to plaster you in the face with flak from 2 inches away...

Yes I would, but since when was headshotting a player with good unpredictable movement so easy JUST BECAUSE it's through a crack in a wall (as opposed to normally)? Headshots still require the same amount of aim whether it's through a crack in a wall or in the open...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Bullet10k said:
Yes I would, but since when was headshotting a player with good unpredictable movement so easy JUST BECAUSE it's through a crack in a wall (as opposed to normally)? Headshots still require the same amount of aim whether it's through a crack in a wall or in the open...
The point is that through a crack in a wall you would only get a glimpse of the person. Typically, under normal lighting conditions, you wouldn't have enough time to react to seeing them fast enough to hit them, but thanks to the "glorious" glowsticks, you not only have enough time to see them and bonk them on the head with a lightning bolt, you also have enough time to draw a picture of a horse, eat a tray of oreos, mix your own coffee, and milk a cow before you do.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
The point is that through a crack in a wall you would only get a glimpse of the person. Typically, under normal lighting conditions, you wouldn't have enough time to react to seeing them fast enough to hit them, but thanks to the "glorious" glowsticks, you not only have enough time to see them and bonk them on the head with a lightning bolt, you also have enough time to draw a picture of a horse, eat a tray of oreos, mix your own coffee, and milk a cow before you do.
Which I think is perfectly fine because it lets you perform at you're fastest natural reflex possible. And not be slowed down due to some artificial handicap.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
I wont be playing ut2007 with bskins. It would detract from the experience much more than it did in ut2k4. In ut2k4 the models were unsightly in the first place. I'm glad I have the power to paint over Mr. Crow's ugly face with a uniform neon green.

Hopefully they tone down the hackjob-like hitscan so players can't pick other players off from across the map without the player on the other side of the map not even being able to see them. I think the faster run speed might do that. In ut2k4 it's real easy to aim, because you can the slower strafe to aim very effectively.

Players having superior resolution or gamma, shouldn't be a big factor in ut2k7 as it was in ut2k4. Make the game more close combat and make weapons balanced for a larger margin of range. In ut2k4 the range at which you confront most people unless you use mapcontrol is handsdown hitscan dominant. Hopefully we will see a decrease in the use of hitscan weapons, or atleast a decrease in average accuracy for experienced players in ut2k7.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
[NBS]Flak said:
Can't stand bright skins and I never could, but then again I've never had a problem seeing anyone in game. I hope we never see them again and EPIC goes back to force modeling they way it was in UT99, you see exactly the skin the person is wearing, as long as it's not a custom skin. Hopefully they would be close enough in size/shape/color that it won't be a problem. It wasn't in UT.

I think people have become so spoiled with neon skins and the tink tink sound that nothing will make them happy though.

I've never used either so not me. (I do have highlighting on if that is what you are talking about.)

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
I'm aware of that. I was responding to more posts than yours (did I even respond to yours??).

My bad, I thought your post was right after mine and you were responding to me. :tup:

Side Note: I won't vote because I am in between. I dont want what currently exists...but I don't really want super brightskins/glowsticks.

I simply want it so that the skins are generally consistent and relatively visible. That is why I like UT because (ironically) there were only a few models and most of them had skins with pretty vibrant colors.

On top of that the levels weren't super complex: so much so that everyone blended in easily. (They don't in UT) This isnt entirely the case but still somewhat a concern.

Let's all just frag. :D :tup:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Bullet10k said:
Which I think is perfectly fine because it lets you perform at you're fastest natural reflex possible. And not be slowed down due to some artificial handicap.
If all the game is about is pointing and clicking as fast as humanly possible, maybe I need to go back to Unreal 1.
When it comes to UNreal Tournament, gameplay>realism.
Of course it does! But measuring reaction time to neon colored lights is not gameplay. In fact, I'd say it's almost exactly the opposite because it doesn't provide any more entertainment than clicking on the Start Button.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I love Brightskins + Hitsounds.

For competitive play, i can't enjoy the game w/o.

I don't mind no Brightskins in ONS, but i'd actually play with them on by default on every server if that was possible.

Those of you who think they glow?

Imagine 2k7's Brightskin's with HDR on...then they'll really glow :D

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sir_Brizz said:
Of course it does! But measuring reaction time to neon colored lights is not gameplay. In fact, I'd say it's almost exactly the opposite because it doesn't provide any more entertainment than clicking on the Start Button.
Have you modded WinXP so your start button moves around? Can I haves that mod, plz? :eek:

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Turns2Ashes said:
Have you modded WinXP so your start button moves around? Can I haves that mod, plz? :eek:

How bout one that only moves when your mouse goes over it, then says something like "you missed"
still the old desktop screenshot trick is probably better.
[/way off topic]

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
-n7- said:
Imagine 2k7's Brightskin's with HDR on...then they'll really glow :D
I take what I said back. I think I might have to try out bskins :D

T2A said:
Have you modded WinXP so your start button moves around? Can I haves that mod, plz?
Yeah about taht start button thing. It would be great if the target acquisition element of the game was less biased to different video settings. But yes it would be good if there was routine guess work and more subtle visuals that weren't compromised overhighly by setting bias. The fact is, ut2k7 doesn't have to be that way. It was just needed in ut2k4, but doesn't mean it will be needed in ut2k7. If you disagree taht it wasn't needed in ut2k4, then take a look at non-utcomp servers, and tell me what percent of players use matrix, abaddon or gorge.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Brightskins would look real cool with the new UE3 effects and all, like HDR. And maybe perhaps only the EDGES of the players could be glowed, so it still looks cool without glowstick style brightskins.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Bullet10k said:
Some of you arguing against brightskins are missing the point. Bskins make you faster to REACT, and trace your opponent. It's not just visible or not, it's how visible they are, and how fast you can react.

No, not missing the point, I've already addressed this point.

Target aquisition is a skill. Using brighskins to level a system spec inbalance so everyone has the same shot at aquiring a target, would be no different then mild UC style autoaim for everyone to level the inbalance of different mouse dpi, and montior refresh rates providing better aiming precision for players with better hardware.

Made or not, they probably won't be widely used unless they are needed: See Unreal Tournament.