UE1 - UT Need beginning help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SixStringSuicide

Musician/Developer
Aug 1, 2008
Central FL
www.myspace.com
Hello all. Before anyone asks, Im not new to mapping. Just new to 3D mapping(I've done 2-D games such as Duke, Doom, Hexen..etc). I decided to pick up UnrealEd 2.0 a few days ago and actually give it a shot and followed a tutorial: http://squacky.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unrealed.htm. It helped me getting the basics down but really left alot unanswered such as:
1). How to make uniquely shaped brushes
2). What static meshes do and how to use them
3). How to use vertexs/how do I create slopes?
4). How do I create terrain?

and much more I'd really like to know. I've looked for other tutorials to be as helpful in the topics I'm trying to understand but frankly cant find any on the net. I'd figure this would be the best place to go and was wondering if anyone could throw a few links or throw some helpful tips. Appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
UT1/UT99 does not support StaticMeshes and it also does not support Terrain or Terrain Editor like UT2k3/UT2k4 do. You might have mistaken it with the newer engines.

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
Make sure you're reading tuts for the right version...UT3's editor can handle much more than UT99, if you're looking into UT3 I can explain whatever, with 99 you can primarily do simple architecture for the most part, and that stuff should be easy enough to learn.