Natural Selection 2.0?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Anyone played the new release of Natural Selection? I have uninstalled HL from my PC and was wondering what everyone thought of it - and if it's worth my time to re-install HL for NS...

I didn't much care for the early versions. Loved the atmosphere and the idea, but the gameplay itself was a mixed bag. Super steep learning curve, too. Supposedly they made some changes to help the learning curve and to balance the two races...

Anyone?

Matthew

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
I loved NS, but now that I downgraded to my 8 mb vid card, I haven't been playing many games.
If it's just like the first versions, but better, you cannot go wrong with playing it.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
no its not just like the first version, they removed all the things that made combat very annoying in the first one, and there are now many different tactics you can use to win with no single one being the best. the alien tech tree has been completely redone and the chambers are now all viable

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I don't have the time to make a full write up right now, but suffice to say, this game is the first game since infiltration to drive me online every night. The races are well balanced now. Very well balanced. All of the creatures have their uses. Like all games, it comes down to resources...who's got more and who can hold onto them.

One thing that I absolutely love about this game is that teamwork is NOT optional. If you do not work together as a team, YOU LOOSE. Flat out, period, your team looses. It's even more important for the Marines, since marines have only one person who can dole out items, buildings, and do upgrades, and everything not involving firing. It's an amazing feeling, being on the human side when everything clicks...you have a commander who knows how and where to place items and dole out heavy weapons, your teammates are working together, fighting along side you. I must say that this game has some of the best teamwork I have EVER seen on an online public game, simply by the fact that many aspects of it lend itself to requiring teamwork. As humans, traveling in packs is the only way to stay alive...same with aliens. It's very easy for two humans to take out one alien without any problems, and vice-versa. Because of this, most of the time, in fact, almost all of the time, humans and aliens (humans more so...much more so) travel in packs. I've seen leapfrogging and cover used, suppressive fire, just right there on the public server, without a thought. Everything you want from a tactics game, with people working together...it's there, and the feeling is addicting.

Of course, I haven't said anything about the visuals as of yet. That's because I don't need to. They recommend you have at least a P2-450 to play this game. That's extremely outstanding for a game that at one point could run on a Cyrix 686 120+ processor with 4 meg video card. (I know...my bro's computer ran it like that ;) ) The levels remind me of UT levels, in structure and most especially lighting. They've done things with HL lights that have never been done before...that is, use them :p ;) Sounds are more than the standard HL "Gravel/Squeekyfloor/metal" ... I think they even got their own 'metal' sounds for this mod. They went all out on everything visually.

Controls are a breeze. Everything you need is on the right-click 'hud' menu, for both humans and aliens (of course, they can be bound to keys, too, but only the four human calls I think are needed: need orders, roger that, need health, need ammo). Playing as human is the easiest to start; you just wait for your commander to tell you what to do. That's right...the commander plays the game like a RTS! He has a top-down view of the entire level for the game. There's a command chair that you sit in, and it transfers you to a 'command' view where you play the game in a manner kind of like starcraft. But...I don't have the guts to play it yet, mainly because 1) I suck at RTS's, and 2) my connection hates me ;) Aliens are a step up from human in difficulty, but not too much. Unlike the humans, each player has their own resources allotted to them for 'evolutions'. You start out as a 'gorge', the simplest fast running, wall climbing, biting fighter who's very closely matched to the standard human fighter. Then you can 'evolve' into one of the four other creatures from there; a flying bat like creature, a zerg hydrolisk-like creature, and an "Onos". Want to know why it's called an Onos? Because the first time you see it charge at you, you'll scream "OH NO!" :p :) With the amount of armor and health it has, believe me, you'll develop a healthy fear of it :) You can also evolve into the 'builder' alien. The builder alien 'spits up' all the buildings, supplied by the resources doled out by the hives.

Anyway, just play it. Just play it and enjoy it, because I know you will. Heh...this was my SHORT rant on this game...

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
Word.

I feel kind of dirty though, cause whenever I play Onos I get redemption (100 resources don't come easy) and I have an affinity for devour... :(
You know, I always choose redemption as aliens. It is the single best resource saving weapon that the aliens have. That is how they can win...redemption fighting onos :) It's only really good for the higher hitpoint uinits like the onos and the fade. But man, does it ever save you resources in the end. I don't think it's that cheap, if you conssider humans and their powered armor. They get one of those, and get a welder, and they can have full armor again in a mater of two or three seconds. And when you consider you restore that 300 armor to seven troopers in under 20 seconds, you begin to see the need for redemption on onos :) That 2100 armor points cost them...what, 150 resources? It's only keeping the playing level fair, really :)

Grim_Reaper ~UFS~

You're all gay and stupid.
Aug 1, 2002
coolgamer1.50megs.com
Regeneration is better in my opinion. Why go to the hive when you can have a portable one? I understand the need for speed but if you have a large number of onoses keeping the marines at bay, you can retreat a little bit and heal a bit, then get back in the fight. And if there's a gorge around then it just gets better.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
redemption needs to be toned down a bit, keg thats true but it also requires two people to do that, redemption lets you charge into the marine base and wreck havoc until you teleport away, I have yet to actually die as soon as I get redemption I'm pretty much imortal

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Keganator said:
You know, I always choose redemption as aliens. It is the single best resource saving weapon that the aliens have. That is how they can win...redemption fighting onos :) It's only really good for the higher hitpoint uinits like the onos and the fade. But man, does it ever save you resources in the end. I don't think it's that cheap, if you conssider humans and their powered armor. They get one of those, and get a welder, and they can have full armor again in a mater of two or three seconds. And when you consider you restore that 300 armor to seven troopers in under 20 seconds, you begin to see the need for redemption on onos :) That 2100 armor points cost them...what, 150 resources? It's only keeping the playing level fair, really :)

True, but what many people have been doing is going onos + redemption, then charging into a marine base and devouring people... teleport back to spawn, then they die. :p

First time I devoured someone (Was cloaked, moved forward out of the cloaking ate him, then hid, I got called an a hole. :D

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
sounds kinda like planetside with that whole commander controlling the people from top down view. (Ive never played planetside, its just from what i understand its like that).

So to play this game do you need to have Half Life and download it or what?

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Well, I just ran past the supidest thing ever.

Manual Siege.

Yes, somehow, the humans were able to aim their sieges manually. It was the redesigned ns_eclipse (don't remember the new name) and they had like, 5 sieges. They aimed 3 at one passage way, 2 at the other. We had all 3 hives. After 15 minutes, most of my team left because it was so friggin lame, so they won. :(

Edit: oh, the manual siege thing was a plugin. The server was MGN Cafe Le Onos or something.

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Scuddie said:
Hmmm... This mod sounds a hell of a lot like Gloom(?) for Quake 2... If anyone's familiar with it, how similar is this mod to Gloom?

Talking about this , a version of Gloom for Quake 3 is actually under development by the dev team responsible of Gloom for Quake2 (Team Reaction)
http://www.planetquake.com/teamreaction/

An impressive screenshot from it attached

Last edited: