nasty polycount problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
im currently making a map. a very large map in a huge enviroment.

it is a large fortress on a small clifftop.

but i have encountered a major problem.

it seems that the ut engine is rendering the polys you can see, and the polys in your line of site, on the other side of the castles walls.

ie * <--you
________ wall
__
( ) <---tower

you can look at the wall go right up to it, till it fills you screen. but ut continues to render the tower in the polycount...

any ideas?

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure if their really good ideas but I'll share them anyway. ;)

1. Live with it
2. Start over
3. Drop kick your computer into next week

But seriously i can't help ya, unfortunatly I'm not an Unrealed wiz. Sorry.

Evil_Cope

Aug 24, 2001
this isnt a computer thing. this is on a shiny new one. with cool stuff an everything.
also, it is only in ut. ued registers the correct polycount.

(btw, if you dont have an answer, why did you post? :lol: )

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
could be many things (really it could), but sometimes (if things are just right) that tower (due to the bsp cutting) will cut that wall itself into many pieces due to rendering all possible line of sight points

----------- <--wall
-*- <--tower

* <--possible line of sight (part of the bsp cutting process)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I've had this before. Check that the wall isn't masked. If it is, even if there is only a 'masked hole' 1 pixel big it will render EVERYTHING that would otherwise be hidden by the wall :(

The other solution is to get a 3D Prophet 4500 like me and Claw with 'Hidden surface removal' :)

Evil_Cope

Aug 24, 2001
its not just 1 tower. thats an example.
it renders the entire fort, inside and out, that you can theoretically see even though there may be 1 or more walls in the way...

it may have something to do with the scale of the map maybe....i dont know...

Evil_Cope

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by Bot_40
I've had this before. Check that the wall isn't masked. If it is, even if there is only a 'masked hole' 1 pixel big it will render EVERYTHING that would otherwise be hidden by the wall :(

The other solution is to get a 3D Prophet 4500 like me and Claw with 'Hidden surface removal' :)

this may be it. it might not though. ill have to check it and find out...

in the meantime...any more ideas are more than welcome.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Originally posted by mister_cope
its not just 1 tower. thats an example.
it renders the entire fort, inside and out, that you can theoretically see even though there may be 1 or more walls in the way...

it may have something to do with the scale of the map maybe....i dont know...

Hmmm, well I doubt it's the scale of the map. Don't quote me on it tho ;)

You could try 'stat occlusion', but I have no idea what any of it means. Some one else might tho...

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Not true, semi-solids, solids and even non-solids block the view.

Need an example? Load a map with water that is not transparent, get real close to the water so you can't see anything but the water sheet. Type statfps and the polycount will be 1 therefore it must be blocking the view. And that's a nonsolid.

You'll have to do the same with a non-solid brush if you don't belive me ;)