Nali Chronicles Rationale

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
Not much going on in this thread, obviously, but I'm in a phase of life right now where I'm going to (occasionally) fire up Unreal/UT Single player again for a while (I want to go through the original campaign again, and there are a lot of custom user SP maps I never played). As I was browsing this fine Friday evening, deciding which mods I might want to consider, I came across the Nali Chronicles mod and SP campaign (see http://unrealarchives.com/nali-chronicles/ ) . Dunno if anyone here plays it, but on its face it makes no sense. The framework is this: hundreds of years before Prisoner 849 and the subsequent Skaarj-human wars, the Skaarj had attempted a previous invasion. At the time, however, the Nali had magic, and with it they managed to throw the Skaarj off their planet so convincingly that it took the lizards centuries to get up enough confidence to come back for a second try. In Nali Chronicles, you play as one of those magic-using Nali during that previous invasion.

Two major logical problems:
1. Despite Nali mysticism and levitation, Unreal 1 (and UT, where a Nali fights in the Tournament IIRC, or at least there's a mod to allow one to do that) is a tech universe, not a fantasy milieu. That means straight-up magic is out.
2. Even disregarding point 1, there remains a serious problem: if Nali magic was so great back then, why couldn't it do the same job when the Skaarj came back for another go? Cuz obviously it didn't.

I've not yet played Nali Chron, but I may, and I can't suspend disbelief unless I have a decent reason for so doing. Blatant illogic won't allow me to. So just for fun I came up with a rationale that resolves these issues. (Hope any NC fans out there don't take too much offense ;) The following has been excerpted from a scholarly m-book ("mental book"--the material goes straight into your cerebral cortex) which was published shortly after the conclusion of the Skaarj-human wars:

"The Nali of the First Skaarj Invasion could meet their spacefaring enemies with only primitive technology. But they confronted the star-travelers as equals on the battlefield with esper skills channeled by ritual and mental control, an ensemble of abilities which, thousands of light-years away on Terra at that time, would have been called "magic". Xenobiologists have since theorized that the Nali have some kind of genetic ability to interact with Na Pali's unique electromagnetic field. Whatever their basic source, however, these skills require a lifetime of dedication, dietary deprivation, and focused training which never attracted a majority of the Nali population. As Nali technology itself advanced and mechanical contrivances grew more commonplace--even if not at a level of sophistication we might consider a mark of significant progress--later generations saw a gradual but eventually near-complete abandonment of the ancient pursuits of self-cultivation. The great monasteries, home to thousands of students across the continent during their heyday, were deserted by both donors and devotees. Even the most prestigious of these institutions, the monastery attached to the Temple of Vandora, was eventually forced to close its doors. A century later, when the Skaarj finally returned (six years before the Vortex Rikers brought Prisoner 849 to Na Pali), only a few shamans and priests still cultivated the traditional disciplines, and even then only to the best of what must unfortunately be described as declining abilities. Many of the most difficult--and therefore most powerful--of the ancient techniques had been wholly forgotten. Even had there been sufficient time to train a new generation in the old ways so as to resist the invaders, the effort would therefore have been largely vain. The best that the remaining Nali mystics of the second invasion could do was to shield from Skaarj detection vital supplies for the Nali resistance and their human allies.

When we visit Na Pali today we see a world decimated by war, its people impoverished and dependent upon Terra for protection. We must remember that the power of the great Nali masters had once been capable of flinging off their homeworld a civilization far more warlike and technologically advanced than their own..."
--LECTURER MANJEL BEDUE, XENOHISTORY DIVISION OF THE UNITED EARTH UNIVERSITY, A HISTORY OF SKAARJ EXPANSION (SECTION 4.2.3)​

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Are you familiar with the unreal novels and the backstory that wasn't told or was only told briefly on epic's site back in the day?

Well, there it wasn't all "magic", but indeed there was a first skaarj invasion. You'll learn that the Nali originally built the mines etcetera, while Skaarj had more advanced technology....but not up to the standard of the modern skaarj. The problem is, the Nali were already more pacivistic back then and it took a time to build a resistance against the Skaarj....
but they didn't do it through magic, though there was something "magical" in the resolve, but it was genetically linked to the tarydium in skaarj blood and ability of the nali prophet to attack/influence it. Many have followed his steps/teachings but things and religions have shifted and the nali became even more peaceful than ever....

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
Are you familiar with the unreal novels and the backstory that wasn't told or was only told briefly on epic's site back in the day?
No, given the sorry state they were published in -- see last paragraph of the UnrealSP review, http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2954 . No way could I stand to try to pick my way through a mess like that. Too bad, as by the looks of it the authors did a halfway decent job.

Glad to hear that Epic actually thought things out a bit, though. There are FPS's with better plotlines, but for my money very, very few are as overwhelmingly immersive as the original Unreal SP--the fabulous open environments with a skies like no other game had ever produced, the gritty closeness of the underground maps, and that great music dragging you in and putting you right there. Having a bit more official story than I thought there was is some nice gravy.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I have the books myself and to be honest it's not as bad as it sounds like....
besides since then those guys made an unofficial corrected scan versions of the book, having stuff in proper order. But I recommend ordering the books in physical form through ebay or amazon either way...

What I've done is keep in mind the state of things and read book 2 first and then book 1. It alternates between the two main stories that way and to me is an interesting way to read the books. The main problem was the switch of one chapter and that book 2 is book 1 in fact.....

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
I have the books myself and to be honest it's not as bad as it sounds like....
besides since then those guys made an unofficial corrected scan versions of the book, having stuff in proper order. But I recommend ordering the books in physical form through ebay or amazon either way...

What I've done is keep in mind the state of things and read book 2 first and then book 1. It alternates between the two main stories that way and to me is an interesting way to read the books. The main problem was the switch of one chapter and that book 2 is book 1 in fact.....
That info would definitely help!