1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nailing players to a wall when shot

Discussion in 'Programming' started by 1338, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

I recently had the idea of a mod that would allow nailing characters to a surface when shot. Imagine, for instance, being shot with a Flak Cannon and thrown into a wall, pinned there.

I'm not sure how to begin. Any ideas as to the techniques that one might employ?

2. sachiel22

sachiel22 New Member

So is the idea to pin them up against a wall so that they'll be further target practice and make for easy picking? or are you talking about ragdolls being plastered up on walls and ceilings and stuff if they're killed with the right type of weapon?

3. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

Ragdolls. Anything else would look odd.

4. sachiel22

sachiel22 New Member

Sorry to say that I myself don't know much about karma physics. I would imagine that it would be possible though. There is probably a way to make it so that when a karma actor collides with something you could damper the impact so that there is no bouncing off, as if the level was made of sticky paper. You'd have to make sure it was only affecting ragdolls though, of course. I'd imagine that if you were doing this you could also make it so that the players flew further from impacts, which would probably help the effect out (I'm imagining it would look kinda cartoony, seeing bodies plastered on walls like that)

5. MrBond

MrBond ZHP Founder

You could try changing the physics of the player upon impact. I'm not sure how physics is handled in 2k4 (only dealt with UT, set physics properties with PHYS_Falling, PHYS_Flying, etc. ;)).

6. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Ragdoll would not work as implemented in UT2K4. For one thing, it's client-side only. For another thing, Karma is really only used on characters after they are killed. Living players are still controlled by regular actor physics and collision.

Example, lifts. By default, lifts have the property bKarmaCollision=False. Regular collision is still in place, so players can ride up and down a lift, but when they are killed and go ragdoll, they fall THROUGH the lift mesh. The default setting may have been changed in the last patch, but I always check my lifts for Karma collision and static lighting, just to make sure.

7. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

They are supposed to be dead: they're nailed to the wall after all.

Client side only shouldn't be a problem. That just means that the player will be nailed to the wall at different locations on different clients, which is fine with me.

8. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

If it's a death animation, then yeah, that won't be as bad.

9. Axionysus

Axionysus Don't Call Us, We Won't Call You :)

Can anyone say opening scene of Blade I :p (wherein blade uses a stake-launcher to nail the guy to the tile wall :lol: ) pretty sick stuff, would be AWESOME in UT to be able to do that :D.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  10. Max_Damage_uk

Max_Damage_uk New Member

11. Payback

Payback Ive got a big stick

boasting is nice, but how about sharing?

12. Killah_

Killah_ Just a guy hanging around

Yeah dude, I would just love to nail my brother onto the wall in a LAN game :p :)

13. Max_Damage_uk

Max_Damage_uk New Member

lol

OK, Ill make a mutator of this weapon and let you have it.

I'll sort it out this weekend.

Max

14. Rythmix

Rythmix New Member

Nice weapon mutator!! one of the coolest i've seen in a while! Please get this out asap!. Great job!

15. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

How can that be right? A projectile can hit a ragdoll and react as though it hit any other solid object.. For example, if a ragdoll was floating in the air, you could shoot a redeemer missile at it, and the missile would explode. If the ragdoll wasn't there (ie. didn't exist or was somewhere else) on the server, how would the missile react? Would it simply pass through the ragdoll as though it wasn't even there (because it isn't there, according to the server)?

16. Payback

Payback Ive got a big stick

I've never seen that happen on a server. The game always reacts as if the ragdoll isnt there and as you said, will fly right through it. It will work in an IA game though, as you are the server.

Which is why you can shoot and move ragdolls in IA, but not in a dedicated game. Worf is right though, the ragdoll has tearoff turned on, so as soon as it spawns the client is given control of its own copy to do with as it pleases, hence its a clientside thang.

17. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Okay.. that makes sense. I probably would have known that if I'd ever played a single game of UT2004 online (I haven't).

18. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Well, you've got to understand that the server and the client see different things. For example, a lot of the effects such as emitters aren't even spawned on a dedicated server since there is no requirement for dedicated server to 'know' about them, since they do not affect gameplay what so ever. As long as it does not affect game play it does not need to be known on the server, but it can be there on the client.

19. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Yes, I already understood that, thanks, which is why I said:

20. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

That's weird. I can understand that karma physics are probably cpu intensive but I'm certain that you can shoot corpses in the original UT even if they're falling. In UT2004, a body does land at a certain spot though before it dematerializes. Does the client switch hands with the server then ?