1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

My ping is killing me!

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Teknomancer, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

I'm located in India and the lowest ping servers that are available for me to play have a ping of over 300-350 etc. This gives a lot of lag, jerks, and its absolutely impossible to use Sniper, Lightning Gun.

Is there any way APART from fiddling with Network settings (Modem, ADSL, etc.) to decrease PING time?

Or better yet are there no one in my country (INDIA) that plays UT2k4 regularly online? Because if there are it would be wonderful to have local servers so we can play with pings as low as 50 to 100.

BTW, my net connection is a 128kbps ADSL.

Any help... ? Any Indians?

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

Hmm...aside from making sure that no additional programs download and upload stuff (by using a firewall), it's not possible to decrease ping. I hope you'll find a good local server, or at least that some Indians reply here to show interest :)

Welcome to BeyondUnreal, btw

3. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Teknomancer - From time to time I play on dial-up from Russia on American FragBu with ping about 320+. It's Ok, since there's UTComp mutator installed on FragBu servers with Enhanced NetCode option on. This option allows you to aim with instant wapons exactly to the enemy, no need of prediction based on your ping. If your connection is stable look for the servers with UTComp. therwise lags will ruin the game completly - it will be no fun. Just don't forget to enable Enhanced NetCode client-side.

4. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

Thanks Taleweaver, I read your UT guide and it was wonderfully written. Thanks I learnt something from it.

A few months ago I won a local Quake 3 Arena competition I played in my college (well intra-college rather) and it was the first time I played Quake. Ever since I loved internet/lan play.

Unfortunately nobody here hardly knows about UT and even if they do and show interest their PC's are not upto the mark to play UT2k4.

@_Lynx:
    Thanks, but how do I look for servers with UTComp? Also how do I enable/get/download UTComp/Enhanced NetCode CLIENT-SIDE ?

BTW -- my computer is having AVG Anti-virus and Zone-Alarm firewall runnig, but I don't think these affect UT though.

5. Taleweaver

You can download UTComp here. However, not all servers use the latest version. It's probably best to join a server that is running it and download it from there. To enable it on your end, press F5 in the game or type "mymenu". Under the "misc" tab, it should have a "enable enhanced netcode" option at the bottom (NOTE: this option can be disabled by the server, so there's no garantee this works).

To find servers running UTComp, you can use filters. Also...check again next weekend: every week, there's an event called FragBU. This is an American server that runs UTComp (with netcode) where many regulars of this forum play. Try it out...you might like it. I know I do, and I'm connecting from Europe :)

That depends on what you mean with "affect". They're programs in the memory, so they take up a piece of memory. But no...they don't use your connection (except AVG...it checks and downloads an update once a day. Just schedule it not to do that while playing the game).

You're welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2006
  6. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

@Taleweaver

Thanks a lot for the info.

How do I find the FragBU server? Is that it's name, so all I need to is sort by "Name" of the server and check for FragBU ?

7. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Just to let you know, if you're pining bad in your country, you'll be getting even worse pings on vipers as it's a US based server. :c

8. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

NewNet might offset it to a degree, but it won't do miracles.

9. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Newnet doesn't even function over 350 ping. I can't remember which it does, though... It either says "if it's over 350ms just forget it" and does nothing, or it limits its player movement history to 350ms, which is worthless if you're pinging more than 400 or so.

10. Taleweaver

That's one way, indeed: look for "Beyondunreal Vipers-Servers Mothership"...the password is always "FragBU". Another way is to check out the stickies in this forum. Every week on friday, you can find a new sticky that starts like this one (at least the first post is the same every week).

11. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

My ping is not over 350, its ranges from 250 to 350 and for few servers around 400.

I have one CTF-FaceClassic server with a ping of about 250 to 280 most of the time, that is where I play in.

12. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

I am also Indian but born and live in New Zealand which is just as bad in terms of ping :(. The only good servers in my country are demo servers which is pretty anoying. But now I am used to having 250 ping on US servers and I am usually able to get a mid to high range score in games with everyone else less than half my ping. Its just a matter of learning how to lead your target by the correct amount and you can almost as easily do strafing shock combos and shoot down speeding raptors with helbender beams as anyone else. Also you should learn how to use your mobility to your advantage because you will need it more.

The main disadvantage is when your target moves unpredictably, then you either start spamming or run away a bit and draw him out into a more constant movement pattern. Another disadvantage is when you try to dodge mantas, it might look like you are safely out of the way, but on the server you could still be registered as being run over because you see the mantas position with a slight latency. Often is it better to just crouch and pray, this works surprisingly well most of the time if you use it in the right terrain.

13. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

Its a whole new learning curve if you ask me. You must always think a bit ahead even with ping of zero (for any moving target) but now with higher pings you must think even more ahead.

I can forget playing Onslaught with my ping. It's absolutely horrendous.

The thing that annoys me the most is using the Sniper is extremely difficult because it needs higher accuracy than say the Rocket Launcher or even the link gun.

BTW, sorry for the qeustions but I have another one:

These FragBU servers... do they play only on the Mothership map?? I find assault very boring :(

14. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

No, they're just called "The Mothership."

The Server plays Assault, DM/TDM, CTF, Onslaught, and Jailbreak.

15. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

With high ping, most reliable weapon is Shieldgun.

16. Teknomancer

Teknomancer New Member

LOL.

17. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

LOL hell no! you obviously have not experienced a ping over 200... there is a bug which makes the shieldgun extremely hard to hit anyone with unless your target happen to stand still at the correct moment. When you have shieldgun fully charged and ready to hit an opponent it should auto-fire when you get close enough, right? Problem is that this auto-fire seems to be calculated client side so when everything is slightly lagged behind for you, the client side will auto-fire the shieldgun but the opponent on the server may be in a different position so they wont get hit! You might think that you could manually fire the gun but it always gets messed up by the auto. Its similar to the manta dodging problem.

18. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

Was sarcasm, never heard of it?

19. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

nah i havent

20. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

Newnet screws up the shieldgun.