My Personal Envy Wishlist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
I join the bandwagon of creating wishlists for Envy. Here's the stuff which bugs me most:

** Gametypes **

What is absolutely necessary is to seperate 1on1 from regular DeathMatch. I cant stand servers with a playerlimit of 12+ having 1on1 maps in their rotation/mapvote. 1on1 follows completely different rules IMO anyway.

Also, big DM maps might introduce team-based spawn points. I dont know how good/bad that would work out in the end, but why dont give it a shot as an option maybe?

As for CTF, for the love of god, please test the maps inside out. Not playable CTF maps renders the gametype worthless.

** Weapons **

Since the gametypes likely vary from 1on1 to epic Conquest, they should be balanced differently.

Say, a flak could do 80 damage in 1on1 and 100 in CQ.

** Maps **

As for the maps, I can only say one word: "less".
Even 5 maps per gametype would be enough (hey thats 25 in total).
Epic can still make 15 each and pick the 5 best, that will be more successful than the way they went with ut2003/4.

** Movement **

Movement has to become easier again. More experienced players may whine and whine and whine but they can still play UT2004 if they want to :p

** Servers **

Servers should automagically uz2 new content and transfer it compressed to the clients, preferably directly over http. (Maybe ini option to cap the downloads to not make it lag). Thats something bugging me now since I have to setup several additional things to make custom content flow.

Also, give back the "all servers" tab in the server browser.

** Mods **

While the current mod system is already quite sohpisticated it should be pushed to the limits. And for servers, they should automagically be able to easily switch between total conversions without restarting the server with a different INI. Also, ServerPackages should be added by non-tc mods (such as jailbreak) themselves in UnrealScript, so that the server packages are only server packages when really necessary.

That's my $0.02

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Yeah, I agree with the "all servers" tab. Browsing UT2K4 games is like taking a standardized test. As for less maps, I'll have to disagree on that one. The more the merrier. So you may not be an expert at all of them as you would if you got to know five or so. That's not a problem, once you know the game new maps aren't a setback.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Less maps is a good thing. Concentrate on making a smaller number of maps really good instead of rushing maps to get 100+ into the game. Just look at competitive 1on1... They use three maps. Three. Weapons with varying damage values depending on the gametype is probably a good idea too. Goo in 1on1 should do zero damage. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yea , rankin and Deck (plzletdeckdiealready) have marked the history in UT gaming, We don't need alot of maps to get a good game(sorry but phobos3 .......No.......... just , no.), the comunity is always there to make others anyway.

I guess they will find out a new gametype (reffering to conquer here). I don't really worry about what ENVY will look like seriously , i just know that i will get it.

Last edited:

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
** Weapons **

Since the gametypes likely vary from 1on1 to epic Conquest, they should be balanced differently.

Say, a flak could do 80 damage in 1on1 and 100 in CQ.

I'd say different weapons for different gametypes. The Stinger in one gametype becomes an assault rifle with grenade launcher in another (just an example). But TDM, DM, CTF and 1vs1 should have the same weapons imo.

** Movement **

Movement has to become easier again. More experienced players may whine and whine and whine but they can still play UT2004 if they want to

I said in another thread, no dodgejumping, faster walking speeds. I think that would be nice.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
eh why cant people just use more and more maps and stuff... maybe have a special competition where people have a set time to spend on their own exploring a map, and they need to learn that map, and the better they are at adapting to a new map, the more advantage they will have... like you can turn to your enemy and say 'ha, i bet you never figured out that before'

of course, only on solid, tested, lame-proof maps , like the ctf pack , the maps look nice and they seem to play well...

Last edited:

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
Well, quality and volume arent always inversely propotional, in this case the choice could be between

5 good maps
10 mediocre maps
15 poor maps

or just 5 good maps

i'd rather take opion A and just not play the poor ones.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Weapons :
All weapons should have identical performance regardless of gametype.
Anything else is needlessly confusing.
I'd suggest mappers stop trying to place every frellin' weapon in a map.

// maps
more is better, because your 5 'quality' maps might be someone else's crappy maps.
I'd say that lack of maps is what killed pretty much any mod or new gametype.
8 - 12 is a good minimum.

I'd also would like to see more variety in maptypes as well.

Add in (decent) environmental hazards (not just boring stuff like lava & toxic waste) and player-controlled traps (especially for superweapons and such).

Also make sure that non-DM gametypes get additional maps for once instead, because if there's one gametype that gets plenty of maps after release it's DM.

// servers & custom-content :
This definitely needs to be more intuitive for both admin as well as players.
User/server-defined limits and better info (tell us we're downloading a skinpack for Gorge instead of "mytexture.utx" for example) should go a long way to ease the suffering.

On that note ... prevent players from using/downloading characters without teamskins in team-based games. Non-teambased games should give players the choice to pick a specific teamcoloured variant of a character.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
make it so traps are natively supported, like movers can have a player assigned like vehicle wrecks , yet have complex enough movers , like Shadow Warrior which had mover-sectors (not volumes because the game was pseudo-3d) which can behave like vehicles within certain boundaries...

Last edited:

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
JaFO said:
// maps
more is better, because your 5 'quality' maps might be someone else's crappy maps.
I'd say that lack of maps is what killed pretty much any mod or new gametype.
8 - 12 is a good minimum.

No, the more maps there are, the more confusing it gets. And quality maps are quality maps, while you might not like them personally the subtle message through the gameplay will make you replay them anyway.

And I also disagree that the lack of maps killed the new gametypes.
There is *no* official vCTF map included, yet more people play it than some other gametypes... like... BR...DDOM... (12 maps each ;) )

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
just make the weapon balance unbalanced again, fun and spammy,
fix the player to map to scale, like in ut99 have the crazy ut2k4 movement toned down slighty, easier to pull off and more intuitive to learn, more fluidic,make the jump pads more usefull, vehicles don't feel fast enough make them therefore faster!!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Maps only get confusing if they don't give enough directions for (new) players.

BR and DDOM were rotten at the core (ie : they relied too much on team-based tactics )

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
bullsh#t all of ut99's maps where class bar a very few, none where confusing, they where small,simple, to the point and strategic, in ut2kx there a bunch of maps that are uninspired, forgettable maps so that i never bothered learning the directions to them they all looked the same, no two maps in ut99 look or play the same, and you never get lost.

there later two are team games hence the team tactics.