1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

My mod test server!

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by GreatEmerald, Mar 4, 2009.

1. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

As I've written in another post now, I have set up a home-based server to show off my mods. And I got the first mod for U2XMP complete now! It's the fixed version of Proximity Sensor, and you can try it out by joining my server, being a Ranger, getting enough energy for Force Walls, redeploy, and you can now plant Proximity Sensors! You might think they don't do much, but they eat only a very small amount of energy, so you can just farm them :) So it might turn out to be a useful addition that never got its way to the full game until now!

So, to get to my server, open your server list and join "GE's Mod Test Server". I have a dynamic IP, so I'm not giving an IP here :) Also, it won't be up the whole day and it might lag a bit, but it's the only server with Proximity Sensors!

If you for some reason can't join it, write here, though I've made some test runs and it should be all fine (it's a separate dedicated server package install).

2. Darewood

Darewood New Member

haha those things are sooooo freaking annoying!! I thought at first it was a mine so that if they got too close it would go off haha. The only problem is I really don't know how loud those things are and how far someone on the opposite team has to be to hear if someone is there. But good job!

3. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

The sound radius is 1400, so it's quite far. You can hear enemies in the garage if you're standing in the Artifact Node on Garden.

4. takwu

takwu cXp coder Tak®

Can you blow them up? With Gas?

5. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

If you can blow Turrets with gas, then you can blow them with gas as well :D

6. takwu

takwu cXp coder Tak®

No problem!
    I need supplies!

7. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

Tried it..nice work..but found few problems...the proxy sensors are not standing in the ground, instead they float above a bit..then btw if you research the forcefields and all things, and then run over the ammo station, it will not give you these (will give you supply packs though), but that can't be changed probably.

Oh and what's the point of hitting usekey and temporarily disable the thing and you can walk through? It should be pickable, not walk throughable...

8. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

With the collision, it's quite strange actually, I've set it to be exactly like it should be, yet on some maps (especially FreeFall) they just tend to float for no reason...
    And it really gives you more ammo from ammo stations if you're not full. Not sure why you didn't get it, because I always do. Though they fill up really quickly because they're cheap.

Not sure why the Use key disables the deployable, but that's how it works... I can't quite find what function makes Turrets pickable.

9. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Update! Now techs have a larger version of a Field Generator that uses 10 times less energy and doesn't kill you when you accidentally place one in front of you and are encroached or stay in place after you disable the wall. I wanted to also make it so when you touch the wall, it would automatically open for you (kinda like in Unreal II what bots did), but Touch() thinks that I'm a UseProjector instead of a Pawn.
    My server now also runs the XMPMusic mutator so you wouldn't need to turn your own on :D

10. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

I keep getting a general protection fault error when entering your server. :/

11. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

What does it say? Maybe that's because I've forgot to add something to ServerPackages...

12. Leo(T.C.K.)

It was on freefall...and btw ammo worked fine on stations, I meant that it didn't give me the weapon if I didn't have it already, I mean before I started hacking gens....it does give me supplypack though even if I didn't have it, but nothing can be done about it probably.

13. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Ah, yes, that. Well, originally you got the item only when you respawned (as all the code is is ModifyPlayer, which is called on respawn), so you originally didn't have that item thus stations wouldn't give it to you until you killed yourself. But now it's fixed, as I've added a call to ModifyPlayer in the mutator's PostBeginPlay function.

14. Ryan432120

Ryan432120 New Member

I went in your server GreatEmerald The Proximity Sensor that you made is a nice idea

but i didnt fully understand what does it complete do ?

Its a shame that Atari Gave up for this great game.

Its a Bummer that XMP doesnt have more games in it

like In Unreal Tournaments Death Match, domination, assault, etc...

I think a Great idea For a Game For XMP Would be Survival.

That Every one is allied together and we need to hold on a base for like

20 minutes against overwhelming Waves Of Skaarj & Other Monsters

See here for the Factions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_2

Life should be limited to 1 ( means that when you die you dont respawn )

But Hunters Can Revive And Heal Fallen Players

But If they are knock down again = DEAD

Like the survival in Unreal Tournament 2004

Also in unreal 2 the awakening there where some maps that you had to defend outposts

This is just a suggestion for a Great mod ...

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  15. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

The Proximity Sensor scans the area and alerts (loudly) about all enemies in the Sensor's sight. This can be useful for base defenders, as they can hear where their enemies are coming from.

As for more gametypes... Well, actually, Unreal II XMP as a standalone game shouldn't have existed anyway. It was meant to be a part of Unreal II: The Awakening, and have to say that it was planned to be a lot more strategy related, with elements from Domination, Mutant, Onslaught, VCTF, Trials and it's own unique ones. Maybe some day I could try and recreate that gametype... Here's the full description of what it should have been: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II#Conceptual_eXpanded_MultiPlayer
    While talking about other gametypes that were planned to be there, the list is here: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II#Multiplayer_support As you can see, Unreal II was meant to be shipped with DeathMatch, Capture the Flag and Last Man Standing support. There is a way to enable offline deathmatch and (to some extent, as there are no team colours) team deathmatch in Unreal II, though.

However, we can still hope for new updates for Unreal II. From what I've seen, it has basic netcode working already, it only needs some native-side fixes, and it should work, even up to co-op Unreal II missions (Xbox version already showed us that it's possible). The only thing that doesn't allow us to fix Unreal II is the lack of native code source; but it's very possible that Epic will allow some trusted users to have it for further patch development after a few years (as Legend, the creator firm, is closed, and pretty much all the rights and code should be in Epic's hands now).

16. Ryan432120

Ryan432120 New Member

I Wish You and whoever that helps you The very best of luck

With getting your hands on the native codes sources .

Im really looking forward to it.

And i Really want that our XMP community will grow and grow .

As much as i want the XMP Gameplay To Get Better And Better

:D

17. Leo(T.C.K.)

Someone (of the legend team) said it was in hands of Atari, also the unreleased content and there perhaps was another missionpack on developement, there was on Unreal and it was replaced with RtNP and I remember someone revealing this missionpack in other thread so. I dunno where was it, if it was here or not.

Anyway there should be made expansion and perhaps small update to Unreal2, or even sepaarte install called Unreal 2 deathmatch, with separate executable but using the main files and also coop ctf etc....plus the new expansion to that.

I mean there was even released one lost expansion pack for a 1997 game in 2005 and for free...why can't this be the same? I hate when work is lost etc.
    It doesn't matter if it is released that late, it can be released and perhaps even betas etc, but Epic was never open to source code and betas, unlike some other companies....even John Romero released some alphas and betas of Daikatana to public or semi-public (he handed even the full source to a certain community with his harddrive including daikatana old stuff and I was able to try these out even), beacuse it was late since release so...
    I think Epic needs same approach on this...seriously

And about U2XMP, even the cleaned beyondunreal FAQ have details about that..mentioning the commander etc.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  18. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Really? I got that info from their UnrealScript, and I have read the Cleaned article, yet haven't seen any early XMP mentions. Though their website has some details about it.

19. Leo(T.C.K.)

20. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Aah, they used the term "commando" here. Interesting, this confirms a lot of things that were questionable, like artifacts being placed all around the map instead of spawning at the bases. And they use terms "grunt" and "spook", which were changed to "gunner" and "ranger". Cool.