1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

My idea.

Discussion in 'Mod/Mutator Ideas' started by Merlynn, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Merlynn

Merlynn New Member

Class based mods. We've seen 'em all over. Largely,they stay true to the Team Fortress set of classes. Occassionally we'll see one with a new theme or idea behind it,but in the end,you're limited to the classes the mod makers design and put in.

Time for a change.

Imagine,if you will,a simple menu. You type in a name for the class,model and skin for it to use. Select a set of weapons (you can select to start with these weapons or pick them up,but you can only use these weapons) and special abilities,max health and armor,and turn your creation loose on an unsuspecting net. Want a good Alien class? You can make it. Want to make a copy of your favorite movie hero? You can make it. You can even bind special abilities to a certain key right from the menu.

How it works is this. Like the Old Skool mod,it can scan other mods for not only weapons,but special abilities. Want to add in flight? If you got a mod with that ability,you can add it. Want the Thievery mutanter to only effect you? You got it. Want to make a new class for your bots to recreate a scene from a favorite movie,video game,or TV show? You got it. Anyway,that's my idea. What do you guys think?

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Merlynn!? from Weapons Factory forums? :con:

That sounds like a cool idea, but how it would be used over the net, I don't know. The server would need all these abilities to be displayed right, wouldn't it?

What if someone tried to use an ability online that the server didn't have? Would it still work? My instinct says no, but I'm not totally sure.

Hey thanks for dropping by man, come back anytime you want. Hey if WFUT's forums were hosted here I'd be there more, seeing as I forgot my password so I can't hang with you guys there :(

3. Jeremy Read

Jeremy Read Redeemer rocket jumping champion

Isn't that like Cosmic unreal?

4. Nemephosis

sure, but Cosmic was too hard to use, and sucked to boot.

5. Merlynn

Merlynn New Member

Yup,that's me. Actually,I posted this idea on the WF forums. I called it Proving Grounds. The original idea was to allow players the chance to muck about with various types of class tweaks so that people could privately make and test various class changes,thus allowing people the chance to try out their ideas without so much bickering. If you wanted your class in the mod,you had to step up with the goods. If it didn't work,at least you had the chance to try it out.

Well,the thing of it is,there's lots of ways to handle it. For one,the class would be simply saved as a configuration file. Small and easily up/downloaded. The mutator does the rest. If the server didn't have the mod,models,skins,etc. it'd simply say you couldn't use the class. Most servers that did a "come as you are" mode would probably want to list the mods and stuff availible on it. Most servers would probably use pre-generated classes,tho. For example,an Aliens vs. Predator theme server would probably use a set bunch of classes. If you didn't have the models/skins/what have you,they'd be uploaded for you as per usual. So that's how that'd work.

Any other questions?

6. Nemephosis

yeah, one. Can you get Kassad to gimme my password for the WF forums? ;):D

no really now, it sounds cool, you should try to rope someone into doing it ;)