1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT My first map ever

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by MissKazama, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MissKazama

MissKazama New Member

Hello everyone,

I just made my first map ever. It looks fine in UnrealED but when I click on build all and go try it it is very buggy and glitchy.
    I already tried the FAQ and it maybe a BSP error, though I am not english native and I don't understand all those big words.
    So some help with this would be nice.
    I even recorded a short vid from it so you can see exactly what is wrong.
    Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/456333400/UT_Map_Error.wmv

2. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

You are using masked textures that allow you to "see" through the level, creating hall-of-mirrors errors.

This is a (very) rough example:
    [​IMG]

See the image on the left? All the black around the star will not show anything when applied to something. If you apply it to a wall, then the black parts will have no texture at all allowing you to see the "nothing" that exists outside your level. The texture on the right will not, as it has no masked areas.

This is useful if you want to make something like prison bars. You just make a box with a gray grid then mask all the areas between the bars. In-game the sheet appears to be see-thru bars when it actually is just another sheet but parts are invisible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. MissKazama

MissKazama New Member

Thanks a lot for your help! I used different textures for the walls, floor and ceiling and the problem is fixed!

But I have one more burning question I would like to ask:
    Is it possible to turn a brush, and if so, how? Because sometimes I want to use a staircase and it spawns it in the wrong direction, it would be awesome if I could turn it to face the right way.

4. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

Use different CTRL plus left and right mouse buttons and drag your brush around in the different views. Each view lets you rotate along different axes. Play with it some and you'll see.