1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

my eyes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacks:Revenge, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cryptophreak

cryptophreak unbalanced

Big-Al likes this.
  2. Hermskii

Hermskii www.Hermskii.com

And..................nope. Put the forum back the way it used to be.

3. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Oh yeah, 90 is nice. I'm doing that.

Unfortunately, that's not possible. We have to keep the software current for the sake of security and -- you know, modern functionality -- and VB is not an option. The Xenforo guys are the old VB guys, so this should be at least passingly familiar.

I will say that there are a few quirks that take some getting used to, but once you're over the learning curve, you should be fine. This is pretty widely used forum software. If you use forums very much anywhere else you've likely encountered it a few times. I know I have, and I feel like this is a pretty good compromise between the old and the new.

Big-Al likes this.
  4. cryptophreak

cryptophreak unbalanced

lol, like hermskii gets to be taken seriously let alone make demands

P.S. The Home icon in the breadcrumbs at the top links to https://www.beyondunreal.com/, and since we don’t have a TLS cert, that’s nowhere.

Big-Al likes this.
  5. [GU]elmur_fud

[GU]elmur_fud I have balls of Depleted Uranium

>< Dude. Some things should be left in your head.

Beyond the reasons hal listed... this isn't a free forum solution. It cost somebody at least $150ish and goes up from there. Then there is the problem of migrating databases. They tend to upgrade a lot better then they downgrade. That aside the look and feel of the old boards could be put back with a theme.

Big-Al likes this.
  6. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

to be fair, Hermskii is clinically retarded.

-Jes-, Al, cryptophreak and 1 other person like this.
  7. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

How are we gonna find all the beard thread with out the "al" tags?

-Jes-, JohnDoe641 and Al like this.
  8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Well I suppose hermsskiii you can always place an image of the old forums over the webs
    You mean you haven't written down all those links (in alphabetical order) in an obscure little notebook?

I know I have.

9. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Avatars were transferred over as jpeg for some reason, you need to re-upload the original image if you want it to dance.

10. [GU]elmur_fud

It might be of note that he already posted in this thread that he was "cool" the changes. Making that comment sound more snide then ignorance. He does after all run his own forums, so in theory he should know the info both Hal and I posted...

Of course he may have just had that big of an attitude flip and didn't apply any thought to the comment for all I know.

11. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

More specifically, how do we find all the threads DNB has saved throughout the years??

So many glorious curves, and now, all lost in the sea of information...

JohnDoe641 and Jacks:Revenge like this.
  12. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

I don't think you understand.

Hermskii is a special needs adult exhibiting acute mental deficiency.

Big-Al, -Jes- and Al like this.
  13. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

This will take some time to get used to. We should have the option for themes again.

14. Hermskii

Hermskii www.Hermskii.com

hal,

I'm grateful to you for your direct and concise response to my request that this forum be restored to its previous view and format.

hal said:

"We have to keep the software current for the sake of security and -- you know, modern functionality -- and VB is not an option."

I say:

Good luck with your efforts hal. Sometimes we can't please all of the people all of the time but your reply indicates that this modification was well thought out and required for the overall continued success of this forum. Good job to you then sir. Thank you.

15. [GU]elmur_fud

Well that eliminates 'snide'.
    Bottom left, click the words "BeyondUnreal Master" next to the water droplet.

16. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

I miss the "Hermskii" tags. They were both informative & reassuring.

JohnDoe641 likes this.
  17. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

can i have a goatse theme?

Big-Al likes this.
  18. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

You can have goats. But you'll have to take care of them. It's not like, if you'd want to take a vacation, you can just leave them by the freeway tied up at a tree. Because we all know what will happen next... and you really don't want that on your conscience do you?

19. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

They were Edutainment, after all.

Big-Al likes this.
  20. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Yeah we needed to upgrade for security reasons. The old version of VB did not support any modern versions of PHP so we were quite far behind on both PHP security patches as well as overall VB security.

I also wanted to take the site independent again and this is the first part of a test for doing so. So far it has gone pretty smoothly but I still have many more tasks to complete before I am done with this process. It's not the sort of thing I will be able to get done over a weekend or within a month and it largely depends on how much revenue I can expect to make from advertising/donations on the site (I have not started any donation campaigns yet). I really only care to come close to breaking even with the site, if I can get in the right range then I will keep BU running for the foreseeable future (likely until I am physically incapable of keeping it running).

There were several other reasons for the move. I understand if you don't like the theme and we will work on getting even more themes back as time goes on. I felt it was important that we address the security issue ASAP and the rest of the BU team agreed with me.

Regarding the new posts button I realize that is ridiculous and I also want the page numbers to also show. When I have some time I will look into fixing those issues. I have currently got the site pushing all traffic to https but it's stuck in mixed mode right now. Yet another thing I need to fix soon :)

-Jes-, Big-Al and Jefe like this.