My computer does not work anymore

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
****'s sake. Whenever it happens it's always a big ****ing mystery that you can never explain.

A few hours ago I was playing APB with Kantham. Like I said for this game I don't have enough RAM but I doubt that could cause problems of such magnitude? I would get bad lag ingame like each time it was loading a new area of the map, but then once everything was loaded performance was good enough for playing.
Anyways, once Kantham's time expired, I played a little longer then I went to sleep.
Now this morning when I press the power button on the front of the computer, absolutely nothing happens.

I just cleaned it, made sure everything was plugged in (I think) and when I turn on the switch at the back the motherboard light saying that power is coming is green.
But no matter what I do, I can't get the thing to just start, even if for a fraction of a second. It's just a brick.

I've had startup issues before when I forgot a cable to plug in, where it would start for a second, the fans would start spinning, but then it would turn off. But now, nothing. I don't know what's wrong. Can you guys help me figure this out?
Oh and it's supposed to be plugged in a surge protector (Supposed as in that's what it is but who knows if the thing works until something actually happens.)

Right now I'm using my PS3. Because like I said, absolutely nothing's going on on the computer side of things :/

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
And here are the specs (copied from Battle.net) along with the case:

Operating System:Windows 2.6.1.7600 ()
CPU Type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):2.414
System Memory (GB):1.999
Video Card Model:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Card Driver:nvd3dum.dll
Desktop Resolution:1680x1050
Case: Antect Nine Hundred

The power supply is a Thermaltake but I can't remember which model.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
That would be strange for it to have happened since I don't play in my computer very much, rather I play on it :p
But I would have no idea what the cable for the power switch at the front is as I've never unplugged that. I tried following cables from the top to the motherboard and made sure they were in, but that's where my knowledge of this ends really. I didn't build this computer myself but had it built. So I don't know exactly which cable from the top is the one for the switch. I have a ribbon coming down and a few smaller ones, all I believe are plugged in their appropriate places. And like I said, I never touched these cables, only the power supply ones when I cleaned the computer a long time ago (Cables which I haven't touched since this morning when I realised it wasn't working anymore.)

Plugging it into the wall also does nothing, it's still as if I'm hitting a dead switch. No reaction. And it can't be the surge protector that's dead as my PS3 and screen are also on it, both of which work fine.

So like I said, big mystery.

EDIT: For Firefly's reply.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply to test with, nor the knowledge to install it correctly. Afraid I'm gonna have to go to Microbyte's shop this evening. I think there's a warranty on this computer still (hopefully, it's a bit too early for me to be spending cash on it.) And does Thermaltake have any special thing, I think it's a Toughpower SLI 650W or something like that.

EDIT 2: Yeah, Thermaltake on the website says PSU are warrantied for five years for parts and labor. I think I have a chance, it's only been two or three. I'll go at Microbytes and see what they say.

Last edited:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Branded PSUs all pretty much do the same thing but don't go too cheap ;). On modern ones the larger the fan the quieter it is. 650W is plenty as well.

It could be something silly like the power switch not working. The wire leading to that (and the reset switch) is usually pretty feeble and easy to break.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Yeah. One thing's for sure though it will have to be them. I've had enough of playing around with it for a day. click click *silence*

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
PSU (power supply) is most likely dead.

Motherboard is also possibly dead, but less likely, & far more of PITA to fix, so for your sake, i'd hope it's just PSU.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I doubt it, otherwise why would there be a green light on the motherboard when I flip the PSU switch on? Unless even when the PSU is dead the motherboard can still get power and light that green light?
Anyways, all of it's under a warranty so it should be fine.
Is there a way to test if it's the switch, by turning on the computer using some kind of button on the motherboard or something? Is there another switch you can use?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Winner: Power Supply.

Congratulations Firefly and -n7-

I should get it back in a few days. I've waited this long so a few days more won't kill me. Thanks everyone :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, powersuplies.

In 80% of the cases of hardware failure the PSU is responsible.

H

hard_user

I also experience that kind of problems. I recommend you to check your motherboard and make sure that you did not change or remove any connection on it.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
With Electronics, you must always check the power supply first.
I always put my ear next too the Nuclear Power Plant.
If I hear humming, and my toes are a glowing green.
Then I know my power is ok.

PS: why is spell check saying that "ok" is wrong?