Mutator Request: MP5 round

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dr_Strangelove

http://www.jeremycox.com
Apr 1, 2000
US
www.jeremycox.com
keihaswarrior said:
I would like to point out that UT2k3 also uses a simple cylinder. I don't think it is much better that UT if at all. It is going to be a long while before we have perpoly hit detection in INF.

True, that is what was done with the player models in UT2k3, BUT it is possible to have per bone hit detection. That is almost as good as per poly and is much easier on the cpu.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I have an idea...someone model a curved magazine for the MP5/40, change the name to MP5A3. Problem solved.

Demosthanese said:
...it just cannot do the same hit detection that you can get in Quake 3...
This is funny, since vanilla Q3 doesn't even have locational damage.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Gnam said:
I have an idea...someone model a curved magazine for the MP5/40, change the name to MP5A3. Problem solved.

This is funny, since vanilla Q3 doesn't even have locational damage.

The engine does have that feature, even if Q3 itself didn't utilise it. There is a
hue differance between engine capabilities and game content. Urban Terror, a
psduo-realism mod for Q3 uses this feature to its advantage. It echoes a
message to the player telling where they were hit, including legs,feet, spine and
kidneys, amoing other parts. Same goes for UT2k3. The engine has the ability to
do per-bone hit detection, but the game doesn't utilise it out of the box,
because it is not needed for the style of play.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Dr_Strangelove said:
True, that is what was done with the player models in UT2k3, BUT it is possible to have per bone hit detection. That is almost as good as per poly and is much easier on the cpu.
Well I personally don't know too much about it. But from what I have heard when talking to UT2k3 modders is that per bone hit detection is too cpu intensive.

The best way so far is to have the cylinder still detect hits, then the game looks at where the hit was on the cylinder and assigns that damage to the closest bone. It can also throw out a hit if the distance to the closest bone is beyond a certain value.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Demosthanese said:
The engine does have that feature, even if Q3 itself didn't utilise it. There is a
hue differance between engine capabilities and game content...
I know, I know. I just think it's ironic that a feature we desperately need is found in a game that doesn't even take full advantage of it's own capabilities.

BTW, it looks like 9mm MP5 mags have allready been skinned and modeled judging by the MP5-PDW pics in the armory. If anyone is actually going to code Edmond's 9mm mutator, if you ask SS nicely, who know's, maybe they'll let you use their PDW mags.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
ID never makes a game that utilises everything in their engine. Those extra features
generally arn't needed in the game so they are disabled to save CPU power. UT didn't
fully utilise all of its features, such as facial animation in the game, but they are there.