Mutator Request: MP5 round

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
With INF's rather simplistic damage and ballistics modeling, 10mm would just have more recoil and slightly increased damage values.

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
no its the wooden fence :)

or they could be AP bullets but that has too problems
1. i dont know if there used in the millitary
2. do they exist

Last edited:

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
They do exist. AP rounds are used for military applications. Unfortunately for you, no military in the world uses .40S&W for anything. This is purely a police/CT weapon, and the only reason it was included in INF in that caliber was for variety, as I understand it.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
i always wonder why people always equate size to power. shot placement determines whether the round is going to effect the target. a golden bb to the right eye socket is more dangerous than a .50cal to he big toe.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Arethusa said:
They do exist. AP rounds are used for military applications. Unfortunately for you, no military in the world uses .40S&W for anything. This is purely a police/CT weapon, and the only reason it was included in INF in that caliber was for variety, as I understand it.

Ditto for the 10mm AUTO -- the FBI is the only major user of the MP5/10.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Edmond, 10mm AUTO and .40S&W aren't military calibers. Go ahead and request a mutator to change them, but get your facts straight.

Anyway, say what you will about the ballistics modeling in INF. Until its wound system can actually differentiate between an arm hit and a chest hit, I don't think you have any right to call it detailed or realsitic. As it stands, there'd be little to no difference between the ingame performance of .40S&W and 10mm AUTO.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
That really has nothing to do with infiltration itself. The hit detection is a problem with
the core UT engine. There is a cylinder around the player and that is it. I don't know the
details, but basically you have a very small number of segments you can split it into, and
it just cannot do the same hit detection that you can get in Quake 3 or UT2k3.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I'm aware. The hit box is a basic cylinder and can only be divided into vertical segments. And, yes, it's a core element of the UT engine, but be that as it may, the fact remains that INF's ballistic modelling is not really that detailed, and certainly not detailed enough to show a hell of a lot of difference between two already fairly similar calibers.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Arethusa said:
I'm aware. The hit box is a basic cylinder and can only be divided into vertical segments. And, yes, it's a core element of the UT engine, but be that as it may, the fact remains that INF's ballistic modelling is not really that detailed, and certainly not detailed enough to show a hell of a lot of difference between two already fairly similar calibers.
Most people don't consider terminal ballistics to be any part of 'ballistics' in the traditional sense (flight).
Yes, the 'new' ballistics do not involve any terminal performance changes, but they're a hell of alot more accurate in thier flight modeling than pre-2.9 versions of infiltration - which was basically a straight line with an eventual arupt dropoff.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Demosthanese said:
and it just cannot do the same hit detection that you can get in Quake 3 or UT2k3.
I would like to point out that UT2k3 also uses a simple cylinder. I don't think it is much better that UT if at all. It is going to be a long while before we have perpoly hit detection in INF.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Well, Beppo already implemented better hit detection for prone position. Some versions earlyer you had to hit the center of a prone player to actualy hit em becouse the hit cylinder was in the center and the rest of the moddel was outside of the cylinder. Enlarging the cylinder would mean that projectiles that miss the player left or right would register as hit. IIRC he made it so that invisible boxes are attachet to the moddel(?) and hits to those boxes count as hit for the cylinder. I suppose it's possible to make the real hit cylinder tiny and attach dozens of boxes to the model... but I have no idea how much work that would be.