[Mutator-Request] Enhanced capture zones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I think the capture zones in 2.9 need an enhancement, at the moment they are for me just a duty, which you do in passing and for me they are not funny.

I would like the way which is used in TTR more, there you fight for an area, it is thrilling and some maps have only capture zones and are pretty funny.

But I do not know, how TTR's system works, so I thought about an own:

• Defenders have to defend a zone, attackers have to take it. (depends on the map, ist just an example)
  • It takes 120 seconds to capture the zone. (depends on the map, is just an example)
  • If one attacker enters the zone he "removes" one second per second i.e. if he stays there for 30 seconds only 90 seconds are left (120-.
  • If another attacker enters the zone (now there are 2 attackers in the zone) both of them are removing one second per second i.e. if both stay in the zone for 10 seconds, 20 seconds are removed (90+10*-1+10*-1=70).
  • Now one defender enters the zone, he "adds" two seconds per second i.e. if he stays there for 10 seconds he adds 20 seconds (but at the moment are also 2 attackers in the zone: 70+10*-1+10*-1+10*+2=70; so the time remains at the same).
  • If there are no attacker in the zone 1 seconds will be added (in our case one nade killed both attackers and the defender at the same time, ten seconds later the attackers need 80 seconds --> 70+10*+1=80). This way defenders can't just kill all attackers and then leave the zone to secure another, because +1 second per second is not much.
  • To make sure that the defenders aren't just hiding in the edges of the zone there should be another rule: the maximum seconds which the attackers can remove per second are 3 (3*-1=-3 --> 6 people also only remove 3 seconds), while the defenders can only add 2 seconds maximum (1*+2=+2; 6 defenders only add 2 seconds per second)
  • Recapturing zones should NOT be possible!

I know the idea is only "alpha" state, so it would be great, if this would be doable with a mutator, where you can turn this mode on and off (over an ini-file --> there you also should be able to edit the seconds, so that you can enable 6 attackers removing one second --> maxattackers=6 attackerstime=1 --> 6*-1=-6 ....) for special maps and their special zones:
EAS-INF-Iraq;AreaGoal1=true,AreaGoal2=false .......
Because for every zone such a system would be stupid

Last edited:

LongJohn

FOOL of Duty
Mar 13, 2001
/dev/null
www.f-o-o-l.de
The parameters (number of capzones, capradius, captimes) should all be adjustible (global and per map).

Or a DTAS-like mutator for TDM maps (and renamed EAS maps)... :)
Fixed capzone-positions (per map) and/or random capzones, random teamspawns (defender near the capzone) with no reinforcements of course.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
why do you dislike recapturable?
it would be great imo. well perhaps not in a map using the capturing you are describing.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
What I'd like to have are maps (even the actual if possible) where the capturing system is flexible, where defenders still have to defend, but have it easier than now, it should not be a straight capturing, it should be a fight to capture it, I think this system would result in a fight.
The problem I see with recapturable zones is that it would be hard to make them compatible with old maps (over a mutator), some zones are important to win, so helicopters etc. would have to be moved back, but sniper actors covering the area would make this impossible or only hard realiseable.
Another problem would be that then you are not forced to defend anymore, why defend villa on Iraq, if you can recapture it later? Just split both teams for gun a and b and then, if you lose one, recapture the villa to not lose the match...
I fear that people (especially the defenders) would not be carful anymore, would not care for the zones, while the attackers would have to defend them (if they want to hold them), while they also have to take the cd ... This could result in slowing down the attacking process (splitting the team to defend), while the defenders recapture everything.

Fist_Mlrs posted in another thread that a similar system (I guess much less complex) would be possible: "a eas goal is bound to one team only. however you can have two goals (def and att) deactivating each other. so yes, it can be done"
So I ask would it be possible, and in fact is there someone who would do it, to create a mutator, which follows Fist's descripton? For a first try.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think defenders should always be able to push forward and win the map by capturing an area goal. It gets boring if the defenders do really well and they all just wait outside the attacker spawn for the last remaining attackers to come out and die.