Multi-Instance Multiplayer on Two Monitors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
I just tried to play UT3 with a friend using the two instance + Gamepad method. (I.e. you have two monitors and fire up two copys of the game in Windowed mode then use Gamepad to control one of the instances)

I have done this fine with many games before, UT3 however has one issue. The gamepad doesn't respond unless the window also has control of the Mouse! (The machine can easily cope with running two copys of UT3 at the same time, although framerate is around 35fps - I should probably turn Supersampling off)

Any ideas how to stop this? UT2004 was fine!

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
I'll try that out in a little while... Here's hoping it works.

I'll post my results + screenshots after. As this is a 1 instance solution it will help with the Graphics Card RAM issue (I had to lower texture details to fit 2x Instances in the 512Mb)

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
How do you manage to control each instance seperately with gamepad and mouse?

I've played UT3 splitscreen over two monitors before. You'll need two gamepads though.
Just do what Blackfish said and make sure you run game in windowed mode. If both monitors the same size you could get a perfect fit for both players with decent fps. Does not work in campaign mode though. The nvidia control panel has options for increasing the desktop size horisontally and vertically over two or more monitors.

Oh yeah you gonna need this console command
setres 2048x768

Last edited:

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
This really isn't a solution for me. My issue is, one screen is 22" the other is 19". I don't mind lowering the Texture Detail to handle 2x Instances so would prefer this route as I can go Fullscreen on both Monitors.

It seems that the Wine players have the same issue with the mouse so maybe they will find a solution (If I understand correct they can not play at all due to this exact issue?).
If the game actually paused/stoped using resources then I could understand this but it doesn't. Both instances carry on running fine, I can use the second screen to watch the match as a Spectator while playing the first perfectly.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
one screen is 22" the other is 19"

The dimensions of the monitors don't matter- Only the screen resolution does. Just set both monitors to the same resolution and the split screen setup will work fine.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
The above method is 100% Unusable for me.

It requires 2x Controllers (I only have one), this means the only controller I have is on the same screen as the keyboard+mouse! On top of this it does not support Multi-player. We're trying to play a 3 Player LAN Game (2 of us on this PC and 1 on a Laptop)

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008

It requires 2x Controllers (I only have one), this means the only controller I have is on the same screen as the keyboard+mouse! On top of this it does not support Multi-player. We're trying to play a 3 Player LAN Game (2 of us on this PC and 1 on a Laptop)

It does support multiplayer, but only the host can do the splitscreen thing. The client will get kicked if he tries.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice

I was pretty sure you can use a keyboard for the first player and a controller for the second.