MSUC: WAR And CTF Finalists Announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
All my picks made it in once again showing that I should be a judge ... and I am very serious. Man I feel almost as good as the people who actually created the levels. So far I am doing pretty good with my predictions. :D

No, actually, that was trolling at its worst.:blah:

Anyway, congratulations to everyone mentioned and I haven't played many of these CTF levels (and none of the WAR, except Airlock) but my favorite was CTF-React.:)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Good game to the CTF mappers. I haven't downloaded the WAR maps, I haven't played much WAR in UT3 (hardly any actually).

Bionium looked great but I couldn't run it because the framerates were so bad. (And before anyone thinks I'm canning the map or the mapper I'm not; I blame my crappy system which is barely adequate to run UT3 or other new tech).

Touch was excellent. React and all the others too. Ephemeral I deleted. Good game....

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
This is not really the place for putting people down ... especially when you have no constructive criticism to give. I mean why not post something meaningful instead of such a meaningless and empty sentiment? Trolling at its worst.

:rolleyes:

sigh... let the assnubanism begin

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
All my picks made it in once again showing that I should be a judge ... and I am very serious. Man I feel almost as good as the people who actually created the levels. So far I am doing pretty good with my predictions. :D
At this point w all understand you have an amazing ability to predict the future, it's almost prophetic. So from now on try to cut down on the self praise, ok? Thank you very much.
And touch should definitely win, it looks great, I loved the lighting, and had a proper CTF layout. Great map all around.

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
:rolleyes:

sigh... let the assnubanism begin
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
F*ck you asswipe ... I am sick of you fools ... and if Hal is going to let this crap continue fine by me ... if you can't be mature enough to give these useless kinds of posts a rest then you can go to hell. It is that simple. I will never understand you internet idiots who always feel the need to insult people just because this is the internet. You retards say things you would never say to a person's face and that is really what infuriates and sickens me. But I can play that game too and once the insults start flying you better believe I will have a retort and you won't like it. I mean do you people even read my sig? If you don't personally attack me I won't attack you and if I am directing a comment to a person in specific there is no really no need for people to butt in, unless you are looking for trouble ... especially the regulars around here ... you know how I am and what will set me off so I don't know why you insists on forcing the issue. But if that is what you want then fine.

So to recap ... to all my "friends" here at BU ... screw you if you can't be mature enough to stay out of my debates with others when it is clearly plain to see that there is an argument that has gotten personal and it between two people. And I am not sorry that I know UT mapping and I am going to pat myself on the back when my predictions turn out to be right, since no one else is going to do it and I know there is more to it than just looking at a map and saying this is great. Now with that said I am done with this thread as well. I made my points and I congratulated the folks who have moved onward (and I have to say that I really feel honored to have tested and/or cooked these maps for the PS3 folks to enjoy) and I really have nothing more to say on this topic. Now if you want to trade disparaging words with me and have an internet fight fine ... pm me. At this point there is no reason to post anything more if it only concerns me (and your hostile feelings towards me).

At this point w all understand you have an amazing ability to predict the future, it's almost prophetic. So from now on try to cut down on the self praise, ok? Thank you very much.

What the heck are you whining about now? You act like I have a bunch of posts saying the same thing ... I made one post on this thread about my predictions being right and where is the harm in that ... especially since I congratulated people? Honestly man are you just looking for a fight with me ... I mean to start up crap with me on THIS thread after it is pretty established that I don't care for you and vice versa ... that is really immature and infantile behavior on your part. I tell you what ... you don't say anything to me and I won't say anything to you. In fact you should put me on your ignore list because that is where you and several other people that I am tired of going back and forth with are going.

I don't get you people at all ... you know there are people you don't get along with or care for but instead of putting them on your ignore list which would be the mature thing to do you children do the exact opposite. Utterly ridiculous ... so yes I will do the mature thing. But hopefully this last post I make on this thread will be read by folks who don't care for me ... then they can see the best course of action is to add me to their ignore list. Then hopefully some of these foolish postings can stop ... if not though and if the mods are going to continue to ignore these attacks then I won't hesitate to reply in a nasty fashion at least once.

Now hopefully the thread can get back on topic and stay on topic ... and the posts from here on out will just be ones congratulating the winners ... nothing more or less, and definitely no criticism of the maps as this is not the place or time for that.

Last edited:

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
My most favorite ones are Airlock and Touch , Airlock is pretty simple yet effective ( also a little bit spammy, hehe) with some nice visuals; Touch has an awesome layout that most of the maps lack nowadays... Good job guys! :D

@Anuban ---
F*ck you asswipe ...
Saying such thing makes you bigger asswipe, it doesn't make you look good especially when you are talking about maturity.

when it is clearly plain to see that there is an argument that has gotten personal and it between two people.
Oww is it? No it isn't, it is just your over-reaction to the opinion of other people. You have mentioned " constructive critizism" but I didn't see anything from you, what I saw was simple flaming towards other people. Testin other maps - hah, only skilled mapper can point out things that wrong with the map, for ordinary user all maps would be good, even andaction.

foolish postings can stop
The ones that you started by yourself? Gratz^^

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
^^^ Wow another jerk butting in when I am CLEARLY not addressing you. You really did not read a thing I said ... its amazing that people are so dense and will willingly involve themselves in an argument that has nothing to do with them. So you want to jump on the bandwagon too instead of taking this offline ... since I was not talking to you ... fine then I am talking to you now and telling you that you did not need to continue to take this thread OT and make this personal. But that is what you want so I will give it to you.

I don't know why you want to read that you are an immature trouble maker who is looking to start a fight with me when there was no need to. I mean what good reason would you have for going OT to direct those absurd, idiotic statements in a public post my way instead of sending me PM when my posts says clearly that if you have crap to say to me lets go offline. But not you butthead ... you decided you want to be confrontational as well even so, fine ... right back at you. Your posting is foolish considering I had said nothing to you and if you could comprehend what you read and had any kind of mature bone in your body you would have just sent me a pm instead of attempting to be a smartass.

Oh and if you want to see my comments about the levels maybe you ought to go to the release threads of those levels ... because what you just said shows you complete ignorance. You are talking out your ass without even having all the info/facts in place. Talk about someone who is an outright idiot. This is not the thread for talking about those types of issues ... but you obviously are not bright enough to understand that. So in the future don't butt into arguments and don't start arguments with people who are clearly your superior.

Oh and btw mature people tell other people who have displayed hostile feelings to "F8ck off" quite often, especially when the person in question is indeed an azzenine. Obviously you have never worked in a high pressure corporate environment where you have lots of responsibility ... you probably haven't ever worked for an Investment Banking firm or VC because then you would realize that what you said is pure BS.

So now hopefully this thread can now get back on topic and stay there without someone being foolish and redirecting it back to me. I know I shouldn't be the topic of any discussions on this thread. And again let me reiterate ... if you have something to say to me please pm me ... it does no good to have this back and forth going on. And I really don't understand why people would consciously keep fighting with me and wasting space on this thread. But so be it if that is how people are determined to behave. I don't mind my ignore list growing at all. Only the people who don't like me will make ridiculous public post (going OT) so its not like it matters to me ... AT ALL.

Now when people I respect send me PMs suggesting maybe I am to blame or somewhat at fault I have to give that some real thought and determine if there is real validity in what he/she is saying ... but other than that ... I give a damn what folks have to say about me. As long as I know I am being helpful to the community on the whole why would I ever worry about how a handful or so retards out of thousands think about me? I wouldn't and I don't.

Last edited:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
You praised yourself quite well in the other MSUC forums.

Looks like I was on right about quite a few of the mappers making it into the finals. Congrats to all. You guys definitely deserve to be recognized for making such fine content for the community.

From here:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178521&highlight=Anuban

1 - CBP3-Salvation
2 - Shrine
3 - Waterfalls
4 - August
5 - Acquisition/Iron Maiden2 (too close to call)

So all the ones I called made it in and Iron Maiden2 was a runner up. Do I know my DM levels or what? ;) (Of course no one is going to give me credit or acknowledge my eye for talent but that's cool ... it's on record and man I feel great).

Also I have played all the maps on the list of winners and runner-ups except for Utopia ... so I have to check that one out now. What do other people think of the choices ... agree or disagree? I'm curious which ones some of you would have placed in the finals.

Wow ... I must be the only person or one of the few, that understand the purpose of this thread. It is to say congratulations not to give your views on why YOU THINK the level was not good enough to get this far in the contests. Get over yourselves ... you are not the judges. If you have something specific to say about a particular level than you should find the release thread and talk about it there.

Anyway congrats to all the winners ... you did a fantastic job ... these are some really well made levels and lots of fun. And then there is the fact that they are free that really tops it off. Free content that is better than some of the DLC found on 360s and PS3s. Now lets see how I did with these levels ...

I predicted the following:

Best VCTF Level

1 - Megastructure
2 - CanalWarfare
3 - Luracia
4 - CBP3-The Dig
5 - OffTheRails

And once again I was dead on. I really need to think about creating my own review site for UT3 levels ... of course it would be nice to get some encouragement from fellow community members, but yeah I feel great about how well my predictions have panned out thus far. Hopefully this will also let people who need assistance with a TC Mod (or mappack) know that I can be used as consultant or tester.

So no this is not the first time you've done this, also in the last one you seem to expect people to reward or congratulate you, for your predictions, which TBH are not the impressive, because they picked 5+ maps for each category and for each one there was less than 5 good maps (with exception of the DM category). So you'd have be pretty new to the unreal series to get the predictions for the finalists wrong.
Your posts in these threads so far are about as helpful and as enjoyable as watching someone gratify themselves in the middle of the street.
And frankly i'd much rather have someone criticize my maps (intelligently) than have someone praise them without citing anything that needs improvement, although i do appreciate encouragement and praise.
And also your interpretation for the purpose of the thread does not apply to everyone.

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Oh and if you want to see my comments about the levels maybe you ought to go to the release threads of those levels ... because what you just said shows you complete ignorance.

And... where is that feedback? On EpicGames forums, where absolutely everyone says something like "wow leet mapz caanot wait for release"? Haha, I've seen you posting that kind of things ... WHERE THE HELL IS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISIZM?? Why the hell I haven't seen you either on BuF or UP(especially UP), where most of skilled mappers test their maps? Clearly because you have nothing to say. Oh wow, what a great help, thanks.

Secondly, why would I care about YOUR feedback if you are not a mapper? Had you been a mapper, I would trust you , but seeing that most people who map for UT3 are simply new to the whole level design thing, the only thing comes to mind- they would love to see that kind of feedback.

Why don't you start mapping instead of flaming other people? Providing quality feedback ( especially about gameplay) is the thing that the rather skilled mapper can do...

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Okeydoke. Of the maps I've played, I think my favourites are Infection Forest for Warfare and Touch for CTF. I haven't played many of the CTF ones yet though. I think it all looks really good. I still have no idea what the soapbox one is about, I should probably take a look :confused:

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
Ya know the only reason molten core got in was because there were hardly any WAR maps submitted not because its good.

Thats a funny thing to say considering Moltencore uses every optimization tip on YOUR site, layout is virtually the same as Downtown, and was a huge hit @ the BGE "Make war not love map party"

It has its faults but its not the antichrist people make it out to be.

And its not my fault that there is way less competition in the WAR category, even though it was a factor in my entry because I'm smart like that.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Optimizing doesnt make a map good, neither do visuals. Its a combination of all of the above. I have always pictured the MSUC winners to be the top of the top, with winners who are really good at what they do. It just makes me upset to see such a small turn out of maps because it turned it into something much less than it used to be.

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
Optimizing doesnt make a map good, neither do visuals. Its a combination of all of the above. I have always pictured the MSUC winners to be the top of the top, with winners who are really good at what they do. It just makes me upset to see such a small turn out of maps because it turned it into something much less than it used to be.

That's fine. I'm not going to argue any further with you over what is clearly a biased opinion against my work. As I said before, luckily the only opinion that matters in the MSUC is Epic's. The small turnout is no ones fault other than those who didn't enter.
If you feel you must dump on my maps further, i ask that you take it to the threads of the map and please try & be as specific as possible while tearing them apart.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
optimization is part of the marking criteria as I read I haven't played your map or any of the other War maps but if yours is optimized well and others are not.. then this will help your score if you don't do so well in the other areas.