1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MSUC: WAR And CTF Finalists Announced

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Sep 4, 2008.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Epic Games announces finalists for the Best Warfare and Capture the Flag level categories in the Make Something Unreal Contest. Check out our MSUC Overview for more screenshots and downloads for all the entries.

Warfare Finalists:

WAR-BeachFront by Nathaniel "_N_" Rossol, WAR-CBP3-Airlock by Muhammad "MozI" Ahmed

[​IMG][​IMG]

WAR-Imperialism by Mandela Shabazz, WAR-Infection-Forest by Bryan "Sanch3z" Cole, WAR-MoltenCore by Aaron "SmokeRingHalo" Woodland

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

WAR-Synapse by Josh "CaptainSnarf" Turpen, WAR-Valley by Scott "Cr4zyB4st4rd" Coxhead

[​IMG][​IMG]

CTF Finalists:

CTF-Biomium by Opeyemi "Jayoplus" Ajayi, CTF-CBP3-Touch by Cory "Spoondog" Spooner

[​IMG][​IMG]

CTF-Ephemeral by Stephane "aeternus" P, CTF-Lopo by Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong, CTF-Nucleus by David "Syphix" True,

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CTF-React by Raffi "pinnacle" Bedikian, CTF-Safeguard-v-2.0 by Bryan Sparksman,

[​IMG][​IMG]

CTF-Skybound by Brad "Kibbler" Kavanagh, CTF-Sloth by Opeyemi "Jayoplus" Ajayi, CTF-Soapbox_racer by Robert Hartley

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Wait just a f**king minute.

CTF-React by Raffi "pinnacle" Bedikian

Raffi's still around!??! I thought he'd left the UT community for good by getting a life and whatnot!

:O :O :O

3. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

wow.
    war-imperialism is actually the wost war map I've ever played. how can it be there ?

4. raziel31

raziel31 Active Member

Gratz to all

( /me slap Spoon and Mozi a bit around with a trout )

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

What the eff... Soapbox racer... ?

Airlock gets my vote.

6. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

That's Raffi_B's brother. Confusing, I know. :D

There weren't that many submissions (see our MSUC Overview). I think every WAR map except for WAR-Spambox :rolleyes: made the finalist list.

7. Sk.7

Sk.7 New Member

ROFL that's a bit harsh but let's be glad that he's alive and kicking! :D
    Great CTF-map that React is! :)

8. keaukrine

keaukrine New Member

Too bad there're not enough entries on WAR gametype. I won't vote for MoltenCore, for example. And WAR-Imperialism, while having good idea, lacks good implementation IMO. What about Airlock... gah, even me can make such map. It is made completely of stock UT3 static meshes IIRC. And has quite a dull look.

9. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Out of that lot I'd have to go with CTF-React - WAR-Valley also caught my eye but the rest looks kinda nasty imo.

Sorry.

Lruce

10. pinnacle

pinnacle New Member

Yeah I'm actually the one named Raffi... I've gotta run so I'll just copy what I posted on the CI "I want to join" forums.
    Also thanks for your comments about React, Lruce.

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Sure, graphiks are really the most important things today.

12. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Why didn't you :) More WAR maps would have offered better competition like DM category.

To be honest I am not a level artist I am not that great using max or maya etc so I used what was at my disposal. I gave it my best shot to do totally indoor WAR map, but yeah can I agree about dullness, but my goal was not for visuals, rather it was learning kisment in aWAR level, thus I really did not over stress visuals and kept it simple.

I am actually surprised it made it given how it breaks the conventions of WAR level design . Apologies if your disappointed...

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

If Raffi's name isn't Raffi, what's Raffi's name?

Nothing makes sense anymore! :(

14. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

this is chewbacca
    [​IMG]

15. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Glad to see safeguard and React are there.

16. _N_

_N_ addicted to mapping

I completely respect this. The greatest maps for 2k4's Onslaught all broke away from the standard ONS conventions outlined in the stock maps (within reason, of course). Sometimes, in order to explore great new lands, you need to loose sight of the coast ;).

Although it's a smaller map, what really amazes me is that you were able to put together a fully polished and playable UT3 Warfare map in so little time! :eek: I recall this map being complete months in advance of the competition deadline, whereas I submitted with less than an hour to spare :rolleyes:.

Best of luck to you, fellow-finalist :tup: and may the best map win :D!

17. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

ROFL, that's exactly what I though.

18. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

A lot of sleepless nights ( personal choice ) when I was finishing CBP 3 maps. :)

19. Bazzwano

Bazzwano Hi, I'm Bryan

yay go me :) i have my fingers X for myself.. if not me then cory.. my closest neighbour :) i carnt wait for the next few weeks to find out who it is!!!

20. Anuban

Anuban Your reward is that you are still alive

This is not really the place for putting people down ... especially when you have no constructive criticism to give. I mean why not post something meaningful instead of such a meaningless and empty sentiment? Trolling at its worst.

Well in any event I congratulate all the winners ... and especially the ones I picked to go even further:

Best CTF level

1 - SafeGuard v2.0
    2 - Nucleus
    3 - CBP3-Touch
    4 - Ephemeral
    5 - Lopo/React

All my picks made it in once again showing that I should be a judge ... and I am very serious. Man I feel almost as good as the people who actually created the levels. So far I am doing pretty good with my predictions. :D