1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MSUC Phase 4 Real-Time Non-Interactive Movie Finalists

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by RaptoR, Oct 14, 2004.

1. RaptoR

RaptoR been here far too long

Epic has revealed the finalists and honorable mentions in the Real-Time Non-Interactive Movie category of Phase 4 of the Make Something Unreal Contest.

Real-Time Non-Interactive Movie Finalists:Sparked MemoryScrapUTConfrontationbotMovieThe EverseasonUTXMP Matinee Movie 1The Editor Has YouCancers - A UT2K4 Machinima FilmThe InfiltratorsDamnationMOV-TorlanHero MSU4The Journey
    Real-Time Non-Interactive Movie Honorable Mentions:Robin Hood & The Kings RansomNeosaka: The ForgottenThe Bank JobThe Unreality HAS YOU!!LawdogsTestimony of a ParaqeetIntelligent LifeBlade RunnerPiddly's ChanceAntechamberHollow Moon

2. dub

dub

Damnation is 182 megs!?! :eek:
    If someone could D/L this and tell me if it's worth it... I have a monthly bandwidth limit you see... :(

3. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. FluXs

FluXs old skool

raptor, whats up with the cadburys egg :D

5. Stigmata

Stigmata Codepunk

Who loves the chocolate?
    Everyone loves the chocolate...

6. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

The "cancers" zip file seems to be corrupt.

7. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

I downloaded the cancers zip just today. Files are sometimes (but rarely) corrupt when they are downloaded. It's unlikely, but possible for a bad packet to be accepted as correct in HTTP or FTP. I'd try downloading it again.

The Damnation download is the full mod, not just the intro movie that they entered in this phase. It's a very well made mod though (third person platformer/puzzle, primarily) in a world kind of like that from the movie "Wild Wild West." I'd say it's worth the download, unless perhaps you're on dialup.

In other news, "The Editor Has You" is great. It's the only video I watched multiple times. Cancers has decent story and stuff, but the cancers themselves are kind of a joke and the animations for the human characters are kind of poor. Also, it sort of needed to be longer IMO. Sparked memory is, err, it's okay, the part in the hospital was well done, but I didn't care for the cell-shading part. Those three are definately my favorites of those listed though.

8. NegativeTrend

NegativeTrend Mr. T Says, "Que?"

There are alot of decent movies up there but I would have to recomend bot. It is one of the nicest ones up there IMO but you need a beefy computer to run it good.

9. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Hooray for Editor! \o/
    Now if I could only get rid of these white viewports I could make another map. :D

10. FluXs

FluXs old skool

Go to configue viewports and click another mode of window configuration, this usually resets the windows then you can swap back to the default one.

- or

Reinstall latest patch, this usually fixes UED as well.

11. anarkist

anarkist New Member

12. pine

And another problem I had, the bot link was broken for me.

I watched "the editor has you" awhile ago when Rachel posted about it on the forums. It was good, but based on what I recollect, I think "sparked memory" is much better. The sounds and models are just amazing (omfg at the modelling and texturing on The General) and the 'mini-story' is really great too. It must've taken an ungodly amount of work.

13. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

Err, I think it was a joke. In the movie one of the characters is rendered by the "white viewports" problem that afflicts a lot of noob mappers.

EDIT: I agree that the general was very well made in the Sparked Memory video, but as per my comment, I didn't care for the cel-shaded part. "The Editor has You" didn't have anything stellar as far as rendering goes (it looked to be primarily standard packages) but all the inside jokes is what made "The Editor Has You" great. I'd show it to all my friends, except the wouldn't understand and they'd be like "What? BSP Cut? What's that? Illuminating Actors? What's that guy doing? Accessed None? What does that mean?" ;)

14. pine

Yeah I must admit that "The Editor Has You" was damn funny. I 'got' most of the jokes and I've only fired up UED a few times. The "Accessed None" one escaped me however.

15. Majik

Majik blargh

botMovie

It's also available in wmv format for those with inferior machines ;)

16. JonAzz

JonAzz UA Mapper

woooo :D

I seem to get that problem often anymore... :lol:

17. BinarySystem

BinarySystem Banned

It's a coding thing. "Accessed None" is the message that appears in the log when something in UnrealScript tries to access a reference that is invalid. This is usually due to a bug in the a modder's code. (Though DE's code is not entirely Accessed None free.) If, for instance, a weapon tried to access it's weaponfire class and one had not been instantiated.

18. -]RONO[-_666

-]RONO[-_666 New Member

LOL dumbass! :p
    It's a joke :lol: