1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP3 Players

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Al, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

but you're an amazing lover

2. BillyBadAss

BillyBadAss Strong Cock of The North

Or you could just by a mount for your smart phone and connect it to your stereo. It does everything you just mentioned here and won't get stolen since you can walk away with it in your pocket.

3. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Just make sure the stereo can do that as some brands have the USB port just so you can plug in an iPod/iPhone
    I've been semi-following those little beasties and I can't help but wonder why they're not using mini-USB ports, tho it wouldn't surprise me if the mini-USB cost more per piece than standard size

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. Al

Al Car'a'carn

I made sure. Thanks for saving me from buying an expensive mp3 player when all I needed was a flash drive :)

Likewise!

5. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Gar. Mine still runs great even though on occasion it won't recognize that the thumbdrive is in it, which is fixed by yanking and reinserting
    I don't blame the tech as the deck is 7-8 years old

6. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

I know about the Raspberry Pi, but I'm not sure it's powerful enough for what I'd want to use it for. For my mini-ITX build I was going to go with a dual Atom board or an AMD Fusion board, which would far exceed anything the Pi can do.

I already have one, do that, and it works fine. But it's not enough. The screen is too small to be relevant while driving and there's not nearly enough storage. I could buy and mount an iPad instead, but fuck that.

Also, all you have to do to keep someone from stealing your CarPC is to use a case made of cold-rolled steel (i.e. they'd have to use a plasma torch to get it out) and mount it with security bolts (the kind that require a special tool to drill out.) Sure, they might still be able to get it out, but the amount of trouble would not make the end result (a mangled, broken bit of hardware) worth it. The touchscreen is a problem, but I've seen steel casings with mounts for those too. The whole point in theft-proofing your car is to make it a lot harder to steal from than the car parked next to it.

7. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

This. I've got one of these which also lets passengers waste their phone batteries.