Movement and shooting controls not working, and loading screens are black

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
I was playing on an invasion server and my wireless adapter suddenly couldn't connect to the network, so I closed UT2004.

When I opened it back up again (I decided I'd play Instant Action to pass the time) I couldn't skip the opening logo like I usually do. I clicked on Join Game, (for whatever reason) and it said I had to configure everything for online play; so I went into Settings and noticed I had no character selected, and my name was blank.

I set it back up and went into Instant Action, the loading screen was black (except for the map name and tip). Once in game I couldn't move the spectator camera or start the game, so I checked my control settings; and what do you know; all the controls were set to nothing. :(

After setting all the controls back, I restarted UT2004; and was able to skip the logo normally. I tried Instant Action again, (with the loading screen still being black) I still couldn't move the spectator camera, but I could start the game.

It's very hard to play UT2004 when all you can do is jump. No running at all, all you can do is jump. (and no shooting or aiming) :hmm:

So, does anyone know what's happened or anyway I can fix this?

I checked, all the controls are set up properly.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
Deleting UT2004.ini and User.ini didn't help, does reinstalling UT2004 overwrite/delete custom content?

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
Ok, I reinstalled UT2004; and when I tried to start up, I got this error message:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2212 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (6172)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (Package NuttersCrosshairPack) <- UObject::CreatePackage <- UObject::ResolveName <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- UObject::GetPathName <- UCacheManager::parseCrosshair <- UCacheManager::parseCacheFiles <- UCacheManager::InitCache <- UCacheManager::execInitCache <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController : 0165) <- UObject::execClassContext <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController : 0165) <- UObject::processEvent <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController, Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController) <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

So I installed the latest patch, and everything worked perfectly! Thanks for all the help! :D

Does anyone know what actually happened, though?