1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Motherboard recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by 213, Oct 29, 2008.

1. 213

213 New Member

I've had it with this ****ty M2N-SLI board from Asus. Can anybody recommend a good solid no BS motherboard that will work well for gaming?

I've already got these components to plug into it:

-Geforce 8800GT 512MB

-SoundBlaster Audigy 24bit something something.. only got a sound card cause the one on this board suuuucks.

-Linksys 10/100 Etherfast PCI Adapter - got this also because the on board card refused to run properly.

I swear it's as if this board just doesn't know how to do anything. I've had to forcefully learn so much crap about PC's I'm at my wits end and looking into just going back to console only gaming.

2. 213

213 New Member

Oh, I'd be willing to change processors too. lol I'm not happy at all with these AMD's. I'm pretty much not happy with anything that came on this mobo.

3. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

I've had a BFG nVidia nForce 680i board for a while now with no problems, it's a C2D board but haven't had any issues that i've not caused myself.

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrinf680is.aspx

Well worth a look at.

4. B

B Bee

Before everyone makes a recomendation it might be handy to know if his videocard is AGP or PCI-E.

5. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

AFAIK the 8800's are only PCIe? And his current motherboard is PCIe.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

What kind of budget are you looking at, and are you looking at getting a second 8800 to use SLI?

7. 213

213 New Member

I'm looking at maybe 3-400 to blow when tax return time rolls around. but I'm not looking for bleeding edge or anything that's going to be new at the time. I'm a dad here with 2 little ones and a medium one who eats like a large one.. :(

So cheap = good :D but I want to try for something more reliable this time. Going cheap on this mobo has nearly killed my interest in pc gaming at this point. I really wish all the horrid reviews and warnings had been out when I bought this damned thing.

I had a 2nd 8800 for a while but I donated it to a longtime good friend so he could run UT3 on his rig. So yeah I'll be looking for another one. its an eVGA Geforce 8800GT. and yeah it's PCIe.

One thing here I think might be going on now, since I'm also having scratchy audio in games is maybe my mobo isn't sending out power or resources at all to the correct components. I'm looking at 2 audio cards, when I really want to correctly disable the onboard again, and I'm now wondering if I need to disable my onboard video also, and HOW to. :(

8. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

I'm a big fan of Gigabyte mainboards. Great bios features, if that's your thing. aluminum capacitors, and dual bios incase you screw up a flash.

9. 213

213 New Member

Hmm, yeah nvidia looks like it for me for now, is that a bad thing as far as motherboards go right now? Are they screwing up that badly? lol It'd be just my luck if that's the case.

10. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

I'll second that. Gigabyte makes excellent boards. :)

Although, I always cheap out and end up buying something like ECS, anyway. :p To be fair, the ECS boards have always worked well enough for me, but sometimes they leave a bit more to be desired. But hey, for the price I pay, I'm happy :)

11. R34P3R

R34P3R BUF Lurker

12. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

13. R34P3R

R34P3R BUF Lurker

14. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

I've used DFI boards in three computers will no problems, Gigabyte in one with no problems.

I've had problems with Asus boards in the past
    (currently using a DFI BloodIron)

15. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

So when is Nehalem going to be released!

16. 213

213 New Member

Thank you guys for all the suggestions and advice. :) Before I try and upgrade (come oooon tax season/return!) I'll pop back in here and get some more ideas and informed opinions.

I should of come here before buying this rig and gotten the opinions of some real gamers. :D

17. R34P3R

R34P3R BUF Lurker

:)

18. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

Oh. I wanted to buy a Q6600 or e8xxx, but I guess I'd better wait a little more since prices are about to change D:

19. R34P3R

R34P3R BUF Lurker