1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Morpheus has a SERIOUS vulnerability

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mae2050, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

Only if you can make an honest effort not to act like a bitch. But I ain't holding my breath. I'm sorry, but you are on a file-sharing program, and not sharing? Can you say 'utter bullshit'? The only time, and I mean only time I disabled sharing was when I was on 33.6K modem on Napster about 2 years ago. Even then, I would sometimes leave my computer on overnight and turn it back on. Call it balancing karma.

Just to reiterate: If you are on a file-sharing program, and don't share, you are a self-centered little fucker. If you ever get locked up, you are going to be someone's prison bitch, and use red M&Ms for lipstick.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2002
  2. Ballistophobia

Ballistophobia Hedonistic Forum Panacea

Kuroshio, you are a good man. :)

I leave my pc on with win mx or whatever running all the time. I'm very weird about what folders I share, but the point is that I do share. Most of the time I don't share my incoming folder cuz if there's something insanely popular I happen to dl, forget it, people will be leeching off of me like nuts for that one song. I like to upload to people the same way I download. Call it selective uploading I guess, but just about all of my favorite music that I rip to 320 kbs mp3s gets shared, depending on the artists of course. I pretty much only share artists who I have bought the cds of, sorta like a way to balance it all out. Plus, that way I can control the quality of some of the music out there too. I get pissed when I get a high bitrate mp3 and it has anomalies.
    Win mx people are cool, if they dl a whole bunch of songs or an album, they thank you for some reason. I guess there's some of us out there who use music sharing progs to steal and be greedy and others who just wanna hear good music and share it with everyone else.

'baron, I was only half-serious plus I was high when I typed that. :)

3. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

Balli: Ahh, ok then. But not really. ;)

4. Wikkan

Wikkan Dickhead Fulfilled!

My bulls<b></b>hit detector is going nuts! Notice how they gave no evidence other than their word about the so called security hazard? This is funny to me!

Security experts have found a way to gain access to the computer hard drives of users... Yes, that is usually what morpheus is used for.

It means that the personal details of up to two million people could be exposed to prying eyes. Once again, no facts or proof to support this. Notice the "could", thats like saying "maybe". Also, such details are available from anyone dumb enough not to take precautions such as firewalls.

Using the Morpheus program, they found a way of getting a random list of people using the service. And what does this mean exactly? Yes. I can do this too. *opens up search*

They could then obtain details of the files on a user's hard drive and make copies of any file. Yeah thats usually what occurs during peer to peer file transfer.

"We're not sure what it is that makes some Morpheus members vulnerable to this," said one, who asked to remain anonymous. See? Even they don't know what they're talking about. Why should I believe theres even a threat in the first place?

Heres my favorite part: BBC News Online tried to contact Morpheus but no one was available for comment. Perhaps no one wanted to fan the fires of a potential hoax?

Honestly, we need to be more alert to what is fact, or someones opinion. So don't go deleting your files just because a bunch of people comming forth with large quantities of no information tell you something is bad. Maybe the people who "found the security risk" are strongly opposed to file transfer theivery?

5. SomewhatDamaged

SomewhatDamaged ONE OF US ONE OF US

lol you make it sound like napster was a 1337 ha><0r club or something

6. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

AAAAAAAnd then again, there's us 56k'ers. If we try to share music, we could NEVER get anything. Back when i used napster (last one I used, actually...) even though I was on 56k, people would still try to d/l from me.

I'd say that's a good reason to not share my stuff :)

7. Excelsiore

Excelsiore Binary Liberation Front

This is a hoax. Nobody else is reporting on it. Everybody just points to the BBC article.

Now if I was the RIAA and I wanted to scare people into not using P2P proggies what would I do...hmmm.

Oh, all P2P have a fatal security flaw where you can browse other users files at random...well duh...:rolleyes:

http://www.gamerspage.com/morpheus.htm

8. ThunderChunky

ThunderChunky L337 Cube H@X0®

I'm sure there's a security hole if you decided to share your entire hard drive... :rolleyes:

Very little seems credible about that article.

9. Goat Fucker

Goat Fucker No Future!

Nothing said in that artice is backed up with any proof whatsoever, not even sources as thease "Security experts" apparently all want to remain anonimous...and to make things just a bit more fun, all thease claims are so vague that it could easilly cover only what Morpheous does, namely to create one shared folder which others can acces trough Morphous when you are connected :rolleyes:

Im 100% convinced that this is indeed a hoax, and maybe even RIAA's new "weapon" against P2P programs...when lawsuits fail, might aswell start malicious rumours to scare people off.

10. Mr. Apocalypse

Mr. Apocalypse My brain must be broken

lol my brother wont beleive me about this...I hope he gets hacked...or maybe since he has full shareing on C ill help him a little;)

11. mae2050

mae2050 If U wanna know Y U get killed, ASK UR SELF

Want more chiat :

Goto NETSPLIT.DE for info on all IRC nets.

Goto Top Channels for info on all ur needs.

U can find anything on IRC.

12. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Napster = dead
    Audiogalaxy = dying, spyware
    BearShare = spyware
    LimeWire = slow
    Kazaa = spyware
    Morpheus = security bugs

*sigh* Morpheus does seem to have the most files, the ones I want at least.

13. Donnellizer

Donnellizer Fjæsing!

I use IRC, me and Balli trade songs all the time. But the fact is, he's not going to have some unknown indie artist, with two songs released. On morpheus, I bet I could find at least three people with said artist. Probably more. And we're talking the EXTREMELY rare stuff.

Now, if you're going to insult file sharing proggies, at least GET THE INSULTS RIGHT! Kazaa and Audiogalaxy ARE spyware. None of the other one's are. In fact, Morpheus was pretty much created entirely to be Kazaa -spyware.

14. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

try to find songs of 'this ascension' that haven't been released on www.mp3.com then...